• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sterl1ng

Mar 2, 2020
    Decent sets of irons are typically cheaper than a decent red dot. Lanbos Armory has magpul MBUS sets for ~$65

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    If you are not going to have magnification, red dot all day long. Faster and more intuitive, and you are not trying to line up three things at once. Also useable at night, which is a huge advantage. I have the Aimpoint Patrol Optic and am happy with it. Waterproof, durable, and good battery life.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    As was written above, how are your eyes?

I’m assuming your budget isn’t too high. I’d rather have good irons over a cheap red dot, but that’s just me. I’d get irons and then save up for an EoTech. Irons don’t fail or have a battery go dead.

I like LWRC Skirmish sights, but you can get quality irons cheaper. If you go with the Magpul MBUS, make sure you buy from a reputable seller, as their are many Chinese knock offs out there on Amazon and the like.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So what is the intended use? Range gun has different requirements than HD, etc. I personally like that irons don’t rely on batteries or the like. I always have back up sights except my hunting rifle. You can add a red dot in the future, but I personally like red dots. If budget allows lpvo is a good option.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    63. With bifocals. I have to tilt my head back to shoot my handgun. Can still put 49/50 in center mass up to 25 yards.

I'd go red dot. There's no shame.
    I've been shooting red dots since I was young. For me, they were always faster than irons.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    I was leaning red dot because fast acquisition is what I’m looking for. I will be going to the range occasionally but mainly wanted for HD and maybe some plinking. Will the red dot work well at night with a 500 lumens light attached? I’ve never used one day or night.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What gun and what purpose? Still not sure if handgun or rifle based on what's in here so far. If rifle, I suppose you could toss a low power variable optic in there as well.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Until recently, I could make 4" groups at 100yrds with irons offhand. No more. These days, a red dot helps keep the pleasure of shooting going.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I was leaning red dot because fast acquisition is what I’m looking for. I will be going to the range occasionally but mainly wanted for HD and maybe some plinking. Will the red dot work well at night with a 500 lumens light attached? I’ve never used one day or night.

Only problem with a red dot for HD, is the batteries.

You need to make maintenance part of your regimen, and keep the batteries fresh for when you need the firearm the most.

If you can afford a red dot that does not require batteries, go for it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    for 100 yards with an AR I go back and forth between irons (peep), red dot and 4x scope.
    My last red dot on an AR was a Sig Romeo, forgot who here suggested it but I sure like it.
    I have a 4x scope on my 300 BO SBR but I'm moving the Romeo to it.
    I feel WAY better when I'm making hits with the irons. Sometimes with low light, peeps will not work so well.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    What gun and what purpose? Still not sure if handgun or rifle based on what's in here so far. If rifle, I suppose you could toss a low power variable optic in there as well.
    300 Blk 10.5” pistol. Really have no interest in shooting over 100 yards. Hope to be able to get a suppressor one day. Cost and gov’t might have a say in that. If I go with the red dot I’m sure I will eventually have BUIS as well. Baby steps.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I confess to being old school , but my default preference and recommendation is irons , IF you have decent vision .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    HD, some plinking, inside 100 and fast target acquisition all point to red dot. Red dots allow you to look at the target and then just superimpose the dot on it, so you can be "threat focused". Irons force you to have to shift between the different visual planes. Holosun makes a solid red dot, so does sig(which is basically just a holosun).
    https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-SOR52001-Romeo5-Compact/dp/B01C95I8N4
    I have this one and it's pretty solid. It's motion activated, so any time I pick up my AR pistol, the dot is on. That olight is 1200 lumens, and the dot still shows up just fine, even off of an interior wall.
    boo frosh.jpg

If you had plans of stretching it out further, then a 1-6 strike eagle or primary arms might be a solid choice. Anymore irons are just backup. There's better options for sighting systems out. I used to have some magpul backup sights on this, but they just kind've got in the way. Pistols don't have much rail space or sight radius. When they were up, it was pretty restricted through the red dot. I could use them, but meh. If I was going to, I'd probably set up a red-dot for 1/3 witness rather than true cowitness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom