• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BellyAcher151

channel 28 Breaker!!
    Oct 14, 2011
    Salisbury
    I recently bought a Simmon's 1X24mm (Model 511006C) RED DOT from Wally's on a PSA complete upper. when I turn on the dot it hit's right smack dab in the middle of the front sight. Is it the wrong red dot, should I add a riser, or replace the fwd sight?
    It's been built for 6 months and haven't fired yet.

Thanks in advance.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I recently bought a Simmon's 1X24mm (Model 511006C) RED DOT from Wally's on a PSA complete upper. when I turn on the dot it hit's right smack dab in the middle of the front sight. Is it the wrong red dot, should I add a riser, or replace the fwd sight?
    It's been built for 6 months and haven't fired yet.

Thanks in advance.

Did you zero the red dot? Just because the dot is showing up in the middle of your front sight doesn't mean it's all going wrong.

What people are generally talking about when they say "co-witness" is having your optic and sights set up in such a way that either/both can be used without interfering with the other, that is to say, you can use your sights through the optic. Some mean that both the sights and optic are sighted to the same point of aim and point of impact. "Absolute" co-witness means that the center of the optic is aligned with the front and rear sights in such a way that when you look through the sights you're looking through the middle of the optic. "Lower 1/3rd" means that the optic sits higher up, you have a less cluttered view through it because your sights sit in the lower 1/3rd of the optic. Due to the way red dots work, if you look through your zeroed sights (assuming you've zeroed both the optic and the sights to have the same point of aim / point of impact), regardless of type of co-witness, the red dot should line up.

See the image attached to give you an idea of the height differences between absolute and lower 1/3rd co-witnesses (ignore that the dot isn't behaving as I described above).

Attachments

• t-1sightpicture-wtarget_0.jpg
      t-1sightpicture-wtarget_0.jpg
      27.8 KB · Views: 254

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    A clarification to the above: in the picture, the red dot is OK on both absolute and lower 1/3rd co-witnesses as if you were using the optic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I prefer absolute co-witness only because you keep the same cheek weld. Your optics go down, the feel and sight picture stay the same. No awkwardness.

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    What a lot of people don't realize is that a lower 1/3 is a lot faster. I also makes using gas masks easier, as well as giving you more room to view potential threats in the glass.

(Now I am not saying "shoot though" the glass, as pretty much every RDS is designed to have the users eyes focused on the target, but just mean the lower 1/3 is less closed and claustrophobic feeling.)

OEFvet

Aug 17, 2014
    Elkton, Md
    What a lot of people don't realize is that a lower 1/3 is a lot faster. I also makes using gas masks easier, as well as giving you more room to view potential threats in the glass.

(Now I am not saying "shoot though" the glass, as pretty much every RDS is designed to have the users eyes focused on the target, but just mean the lower 1/3 is less closed and claustrophobic feeling.)

Too true, they both have their own merits. Lower 1/3 is faster for sure, just more glass to see through, however I still prefer absolute cowitness just for the sake of muscle memory, and faster reaquisition of sight picture if the battery goes dead or the glass breaks. Mind you, that is a training preference, as I always checked the batteries on my eotech before I rolled out on missions anyway.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thanx for this info! What distances do folks typically sight their irons and glass for respectively, when setting up the glass at the lower 1/3?

I currently have my eotech set up to absolute with my irons (A2) out to 100yds, but at that distance the front post is of course obscuring my targets center.

OEFvet

Aug 17, 2014
    Elkton, Md
    Thanx for this info! What distances do folks typically sight their irons and glass for respectively, when setting up the glass at the lower 1/3?

I currently have my eotech set up to absolute with my irons (A2) out to 100yds, but at that distance the front post is of course obscuring my targets center.

You may need a riser to acheive a proper lower 1/3 cowitness, although pobably not. I always zero to 100yds with both, regardless of cowitness type. On a lower 1/3 the front sight post will still be in your sight picture for the most part. It will just keep the rear sight aperture out of the way during typical manipulation of the rifle until you need your backup sights, at which point you will simply adjust your cheek weld to provide proper sight alignment with your irons.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    You may need a riser to acheive a proper lower 1/3 cowitness, although pobably not. I always zero to 100yds with both, regardless of cowitness type. On a lower 1/3 the front sight post will still be in your sight picture for the most part. It will just keep the rear sight aperture out of the way during typical manipulation of the rifle until you need your backup sights, at which point you will simply adjust your cheek weld to provide proper sight alignment with your irons.

OK good deal - I'm assuming like a .5" riser, yes?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

From a competition shooting viewpoint I am not sure I go along with most of that. I would not consider a taller area of sight near as good as a wide area of sight. Sitting the iron sights in the lower one third greatly restricts your ability to see threats to the left and right (or additional targets in competition) which would be a more common scenario. I suppose that might work if you were limiting yourself by shooting with only one eye open. I have one AR setup co-witness. Having never shot that way I tried both 1/3 and full co-witness. The one thing about 1/3 was I was looking thru the narrow bottom of the red dot tube which to me felt a lot more restrictive that shooting thru the center. But shooting thru the red dot glass with fixed sights and the red dot active is definitely slower no matter which way you have them witnessed because the sight picture is too busy. Solution for me was flipdown iron sights at full co-witness. So either the red dot is on or if off the irons are up. If you don't have that option then 1/3 makes a lot of sense because putting the red dot higher means you don't have to engage with it looking thru the front sight. That is definitely slower. But to be honest the best setup is a tactical scope with an etched reticle and some kind of BDC scale and a power range from 1-4x at a minimum. While I find I am a hair faster to engage the first shot with irons I am also more accurate with the scope at 1x on the first shot and every shot after that. Probalby the reason the USAMU is trying to change battle optics to scopes from irons or red dots w/magnifiers. But everybody is a little different and may have a totally different comfort zone. In my case I throw away anything that slows me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom