• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    A family member asked me about applying for a CC permit and gun purchases. He is a recovering alcoholic with many years of sobriety. He had gone to rehab so there is a record of his alcoholism. Would he automatically be ineligible for purchasing and carrying?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered I did not find a thread about it doing a search on here. Thank you.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    No I dont see why it would be. Habitual drunkards cannot posses regulated firearms and can have their permits revoked but there is a very specific definition:
    "Habitual drunkard" means a person who has been found guilty of any three crimes under § 21-902(a), (b), or (c) of the Transportation Article, one of which occurred in the past year.

OLD FORD GUY

Mar 31, 2012
    Baldwin, MD
    Question 19 on application for carry permit: "Are you addicted to, or have you ever been, or are you currently being treated for alcoholism?" Need to explain YES answer fully on attached sheet.
    Would be interesting to know what criteria the MSP use to judge the answer to this question.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the context of appling for carry Permit , expect them to ask for a letter from MD / Headshrinker/ etc to certify that your are currently *OK* to carry a firearm.

mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    So for question 19 full disclosure. Should he try to get something in writing from a doctor to attach to the application or wait for it to come up in the interview?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So for question 19 full disclosure. Should he try to get something in writing from a doctor to attach to the application or wait for it to come up in the interview?

Might not be a bad idea. I think this could go either way. The note from someone who knows him may help. OTOH, they may take his word for it in the interview.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Forgot to add:

He owns his own business and makes all of the deposits. So he will be using G&S when applying.

Why would he do that right now? Maryland may be "shall issue" at any time based on Judge Legg's decision on the stay. Might be better to wait a couple of weeks and see what happens.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Unless he has been convicted for Alcohol I would answer no to 19 MSP don't have access to medical records and unless a Judge sentenced him to rehab I would say he's GTG Don't give anyone fuel to deny your rights One day they may say Oh you eat Steak no gun for you

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You sign a release when you apply so they can investigate you. Lying on the app could certainly expose you to criminal prosecution and the permanent rejection of your app. Even if we get shall issue, 5(i) remains on the books.

If it were me I'd be honest with them. IANAL

Last edited:

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    For non-regulated firearms there is no prohibition against "habitual drunkards."

That term is used in MD law and pertains to MD "regulated firearms" only as Charlie Foxtrot outlined already.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Is this a trick question..?

He could be 100% perfect in every possible way...

This is MerryLand, so...

He'd still be DENIED...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    sgt23preston said:
    Sgt Preston here...

Is this a trick question..?

He could be 100% perfect in every possible way...

This is MerryLand, so...

He'd still be DENIED...

Good point. Everyone should familiarize themselves with HB618. MD is trying to restrict people with "mental illness" from having access to regulated firearms. Since the vast majority of people with significant mental illness are already restricted, what could they be going for?

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    You sign a relaese when you apply so they can investigate you. Lying on the app could certainly expose you to criminal prosecution and the permanent rejection of your app. Even if we get shall issue, 5(i) remains on the books.

If it were me I'd be honest with them. IANAL

Agree...honesty should be the prevailing theme with any applicant due to the incredible responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    Thank you all for your responses. I will show this thread to him on Friday when I see him. I will also suggest that he join the forum :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom