Recommended rifle for 500 - 1000 yards shooter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Slight update.

Everything above is wrong.

I met 4g64loser at Peacemaker last weekend. I rented the Seekins Havak and fired Berger match grade. I was able to hit 100% of my shots. It's very easy when I am aiming at the ground. Every once in a while I was able to hit a steel target too.

I returned the Savage (by not picking it up) and decided to go the direction that was recommended to me initially. That is a Zermatt Origin short action. I got the pre-matched Criterion shouldered barrel. I was debating between 26", 28" and 30" inches. The decision was made easy for me since the only one they had in stock was 28". Wait time for other lengths was a long time (22 weeks). I paired it with a KRG Bravo and a TriggerTech trigger.

I plan to match it up with this scope: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA EBR-2C Riflescope PST-43127.

I know the hardware will clearly be responsible for all missed shots, but that is OK.

I now need to find a way to attach the scope to the rifle. Was thinking of bringing my wife or one of my daughters to have them just hold it in on top of the rifle. Don't think that would work too well though since their constant chatter would be distracting.

I also need to find a bipod.

I also need to find a range finder. Thinking of going with binos so it could double as a spotter.

That is all.

You hit plenty of plates.

For those who missed the sarcasm, I can say that landing two rounds less than five inches apart (yes, on a plate) at 1024yds actually happened. Hahaha.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Slight update.

I met 4g64loser at Peacemaker last weekend. I rented the Seekins Havak and fired Berger match grade. I was able to hit 100% of my shots. It's very easy when I am aiming at the ground. Every once in a while I was able to hit a steel target too.

I returned the Savage (by not picking it up) and decided to go the direction that was recommended to me initially. That is a Zermatt Origin short action. I got the pre-matched Criterion shouldered barrel. I was debating between 26", 28" and 30" inches. The decision was made easy for me since the only one they had in stock was 28". Wait time for other lengths was a long time (22 weeks). I paired it with a KRG Bravo and a TriggerTech trigger.

I plan to match it up with this scope: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA EBR-2C Riflescope PST-43127.

I know the hardware will clearly be responsible for all missed shots, but that is OK.

I now need to find a way to attach the scope to the rifle. Was thinking of bringing my wife or one of my daughters to have them just hold it in on top of the rifle. Don't think that would work too well though since their constant chatter would be distracting.

I also need to find a range finder. Thinking of going with binos so it could double as a spotter.

That is all.
    4g knows his stuff. When he talks, I listen. Every time I get to PNTC and he is there, I take some time to talk to him.

As for the Viper PST, I own 2 of them and love them. One lives on a RPR, and one lives on a DMR.

Just to really mess with you, I have a Strike Eagle 1-8x24 MOA on a deer rifle in 300BLK. So far, that rifle is 2 for 2 on Bambi.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Can't speak for the others but I don't consider people making value judgements based on their own assigned values to be insulting.

Buy the tool that serves your needs. The important thing is to have as much information, preferably of the less biased sort, as possible prior to making decisions.

I have seen guys shoot "cheap" guns with great results. Ask Squaregrouper for details. And he is just one example. A friend regularly shoots his (bought used) savage 10 in 6.5 creed to 1000+ running a load I worked up with berger 130s. He got a used vortex viper pst (from me) and he is plenty happy. He hunts to 500 on white tail and coyotes with it. He spent under a grand and has no regrets.
    I think the total that SG has in that rifle is right around 350-400 and the sheer hilarity of it all was unbelievable.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I think the total that SG has in that rifle is right around 350-400 and the sheer hilarity of it all was unbelievable.
    I fired El Cheapo. Nothing wrong there.

And Fidelity allowed me the honor of firing Jeff's rifle as well.

Buy the tool that serves your needs. I am a snob for how an action feels when I am using the rifle. I don't mind paying for that. Precision rifle work is what I like. For those who are unsure or those who view it as an occasional novelty, there's no reason to go all in.

Garet Jax seemed pretty set on getting in the game and is a knowledgeable fellow who holds instructor ratings. Some people lack frame and perspective to judge if the game is right for them. He is not one of them. I pressed him slightly to go with upper level build as, speaking with him, it became obvious to me that he would rapidly feel limited by anything else and would have to "buy twice" in a relatively short time period.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Slight update.

That is all.
    I know first hand how much an influence 4g64loser can be. Luckily you can’t go wrong by listening to him. Well unless your wallet gets a vote. I’m in the process of several new builds inspired by his advice.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I know first hand how much an influence 4g64loser can be. Luckily you can’t go wrong by listening to him. Well unless your wallet gets a vote. I’m in the process of several new builds inspired by his advice.
    Hahaha. Just let me know. It's amazing how quickly people who shoot my guns seem to shift the parameters of their own projects. I just hope I can save people some of the aggravation and expense I have gone through trying to tune up, rebuild, etc different systems over the years. The rifle SYSTEM functions best when built as a symbiotic organism: rifle, optic, ammunition, support equipment, and shooter. The whole can become greater than the sum of the parts.

As engraved on on of my knives: "Trust me with your life. Never your money or your wife."

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    “As engraved on on of my knives: "Trust me with your life. Never your money or your wife.”

I’ll keep that in mind when I’m considering party invites.

As for scope selection to keep this post on topic, I have three PST’s and have shot more than few Razors. If I were considering buying a Vortex today it would either be a Razor, or I’d pick up an Arken EP5 instead of a PST. Especially if I was shooting long range where tracking and great turrets were going to be big factors. I’ve been playing with one on my .22 build and the controls and glass are incredible for the price.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Slight update.

That is all.

Slight change to the above. I found a not new but never used KRG X-Ray Chassis with the enclosed foreend on sniper's hide for a touch more than the KRG Bravo I ordered so I went that direction.

I also decided to go with a separate range finder and bought the Vortex Razor HD 4000. I bought it from euro-optic as a demo unit (it arrived BNIB) and paid ~$380 shipped with tax after coupon. I have read that it is great at what it does and Vortex's warranty is second to none.

Still looking for a set of Binos - was looking hard at Meopta Meostar HDs, but they are out of my price range even used. Especially since I would probably need a tripod and connectors as well.

May go with a spotting scope instead and am looking at an Athlon Optics Cronus G2 20-60x86 UHD. It is brand new so can't find reviews on it anywhere.

CameraLand also has a special on the Silk 824cf tripod for $150.

As always this is more than I wanted to spend

Slight change to the above. I found a not new but never used KRG X-Ray Chassis with the enclosed foreend on sniper's hide for a touch more than the KRG Bravo I ordered so I went that direction.

I also decided to go with a separate range finder and bought the Vortex Razor HD 4000. I bought it from euro-optic as a demo unit (it arrived BNIB) and paid ~$380 shipped with tax after coupon. I have read that it is great at what it does and Vortex's warranty is second to none.

Still looking for a set of Binos - was looking hard at Meopta Meostar HDs, but they are out of my price range even used. Especially since I would probably need a tripod and connectors as well.

May go with a spotting scope instead and am looking at an Athlon Optics Cronus G2 20-60x86 UHD. It is brand new so can't find reviews on it anywhere.

CameraLand also has a special on the Silk 824cf tripod for $150.

As always this is more than I wanted to spend
    I am convinced they do this to avoid Minimum Advertised Price (MAP). Manufacturers don't allow online retailers to advertise items below X dollars. This is why you see "call for best price" or "add to cart for best price".

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hahaha. Just let me know. It's amazing how quickly people who shoot my guns seem to shift the parameters of their own projects. I just hope I can save people some of the aggravation and expense I have gone through trying to tune up, rebuild, etc different systems over the years. The rifle SYSTEM functions best when built as a symbiotic organism: rifle, optic, ammunition, support equipment, and shooter. The whole can become greater than the sum of the parts.

As engraved on on of my knives: "Trust me with your life. Never your money or your wife."
    I know I already covered my Bighorn build further up in this thread, but seeing one of your builds was enough to convince me that I didn't want to compromise, and I ditched my initial plan for the rifle I was going to put together. As it is I compromised on my optic but by the time I got to that point I was already way over my original budget and was pretty much out of money, so I went with the Arken EP5 - an optic that seems to be quickly gaining attention for being a good value for the money.

One day I'll save enough pennies, nickels and dimes to put myself into a first class optic...not that I'll be able to make use of it - I'm not that good of a shooter. Yet.

I hope to spend a bit more time this spring putting my rifle through its paces to see what I can do with it, and at some point I'd like to put together another rifle in a caliber that's a bit more conducive to longer distances.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    “As engraved on on of my knives: "Trust me with your life. Never your money or your wife.”

I’ll keep that in mind when I’m considering party invites.

As for scope selection to keep this post on topic, I have three PST’s and have shot more than few Razors. If I were considering buying a Vortex today it would either be a Razor, or I’d pick up an Arken EP5 instead of a PST. Especially if I was shooting long range where tracking and great turrets were going to be big factors. I’ve been playing with one on my .22 build and the controls and glass are incredible for the price.
    I don't really attend parties much anymore. A place I used to work, we had those knives made. I don't think any of the guys on my crew were married but it sounded good. Gallows humor was definitely a thing.

There are no flies on any of the optics you mention. I own all except the arken but I've seen and shot them on other people's rifles. At their price point, they are an interesting option. I like the big numbers on the turrets. Under time pressure, I sometimes find myself breaking position to check my kahles to be sure I dialled the right amount as the clicks are "small". On my razors, that isn't a thing. The arkens tend to be more like the pst/razor with "bigger" clicks.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I know I already covered my Bighorn build further up in this thread, but seeing one of your builds was enough to convince me that I didn't want to compromise, and I ditched my initial plan for the rifle I was going to put together. As it is I compromised on my optic but by the time I got to that point I was already way over my original budget and was pretty much out of money, so I went with the Arken EP5 - an optic that seems to be quickly gaining attention for being a good value for the money.

One day I'll save enough pennies, nickels and dimes to put myself into a first class optic...not that I'll be able to make use of it - I'm not that good of a shooter. Yet.

I hope to spend a bit more time this spring putting my rifle through its paces to see what I can do with it, and at some point I'd like to put together another rifle in a caliber that's a bit more conducive to longer distances.
    Just swap bolt heads and barrels in your Origin. You invested in the tooling to handle the job easily. Then your rifle will "feel" the same. Same exact trigger/stock/optic. And seeing the groups you sent me, you are shooting well enough for those fine details to be relevant.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I don't really attend parties much anymore. A place I used to work, we had those knives made. I don't think any of the guys on my crew were married but it sounded good. Gallows humor was definitely a thing.

There are no flies on any of the optics you mention. I own all except the arken but I've seen and shot them on other people's rifles. At their price point, they are an interesting option. I like the big numbers on the turrets. Under time pressure, I sometimes find myself breaking position to check my kahles to be sure I dialled the right amount as the clicks are "small". On my razors, that isn't a thing. The arkens tend to be more like the pst/razor with "bigger" clicks.
    The Arken is not a 1k$ dollar scope for 450$ like the YouTube shills will tell you, but it is better glass and turrets than my PST’s. Both have lifetime warranties by companies that stand behind them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom