• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Howdy folks,

I'm looking for your recommendations on a saboted bullet for my CVA Optima in stainless with a Leatherwood ML scope in the CVA mount. Traditionally I shoot a 250 grain TC Shockwave in Super Glide sabot, but I just ran out of them. They give me 2-3 MOA and I took a deer at 175 yards last season. Basically happy with them but they are expensive and there should be something better.

I had some TC Max Express Sabots in 240 grain around so I tried those at the range last weekend and was getting 5MOA. I guess I'll be sticking to 100 yards and in this weekend...

Traditionally I use two Hodgdon 777 Magnum pellets and a Remington klean bore 209 primer. I have a box of Hodgdon 777 pellets and some black horn (need to buy the breech plug to use it though).

Anybody have some thoughts to share?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    We zero'd my buddy's new CVA optima stainless last week and he used 2 777 magnums and TC Shock waves and got 2MOA @100 yards. I compared TC shock waves to Traditions smackdowns (both 250g) and the POI and groups were nearly identical @ 200 yards with my CVA wolf and BH209. I can easily find TC smackdowns or Traditions SST at either a Walmart or Basspro. I can't compare knock down power, but both are accurate in the 4 muzzle loaders I've tested them in.

shoreshot

Mar 4, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Shockwaves only out of my CVA. Powerbelts won't hold any kind of accuracy out of it. I imagine similar sabot loads from a different manufacturer would perform close to the Shockwaves. Not tried some of the new ones out there yet.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    I am shooting the Hornaday FPBs sabotless and love the accuracy and consistency. Getting those things down without at least a spit patch for a follow up shot is another story

Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    I am shooting the Hornaday FPBs sabotless and love the accuracy and consistency. Getting those things down without at least a spit patch for a follow up shot is another story

I've heard that these work great, or not great, with not much in-between.

The Encore and Omega have the last inch of rifling drilled out of the bore (they call it the QLA) to facilitate sabot loading and also to help pull the sabot off the round when it fires. The QLA really screws up the flight of the FPB's. Same thing with conical bullets. I know people who have cut off the QLA and re-crowned their Encores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom