Recommendations on a rod/reel combo for bay sport/light use saltwater...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    World record cast is over 900 feet. I think the world record with spinning gear is over 800 feet. You would never do that with a fishing rig tied on, but I don't doubt practiced casters can sling rigs 150 plus yards with the right gear and a pendulum type cast.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Nope. Those distance casting tournaments use weight only. Any type of fishing lure, fish finder rig, or trolley type rig has way to much drag to make that kind of distance. My personal best might be around 100 yards with a Hatteras cast, but I don't practice and have never measured on a field. I would say my average is closer to 80 yards with my 9' Mojo Surf. My average for the 7' St. Croix with a 3/4 sinker and double bottom rig is probably closer to 60 yards or so, but never verified.

I have noticed a definite increase in distance since switching to 10 and 20 pound braid.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Lets correct it to say that NO ONE that is ACTUALLY fishing can cast over 150 yards. And thats probably about 50-60 yards longer than 95% of fishermen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom