Recommendations on a rod/reel combo for bay sport/light use saltwater...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shanewolfe

Sep 4, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    Hi all,

I'm from the mountains out in the Western part of the state, but I live here near the Bay now. I'm getting back into fishing on a regular basis and learning about saltwater and bay sport fishing. I still love and prefer freshwater because I know it, but I'm looking to branch out a bit more.

What are some recommendations on a rod/reel combo, and maybe some essential tackle/rigs/etc. that one might use to fish from docks, rocks, beach etc.? I'd like to get something I can use for saltwater occasionally as well (but I'm not opposed to two setups if that is best).

I have a really cheap saltwater setup I picked up on a weekend trip a while back, but you get what you pay for.

Any recommendations? I've checked out every book not he subject that I could find in the AACo library system. They are probably getting sick of doing transfers for me.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    It depends. Do you want to catch perch, croaker and the occasional blue or are you going to target rocks and big blues only? For my perch rods I buy the Abu Garcia combos. Only brand I will buy now. They will last 4-5 years compared to the shakespeares and others that bind up and become paperweights after one year. If you're after the bigger fish buy a decent rod then pick up a shimano baitrunner for it. I've been fishing the bay my whole life so I've broken/had crap out more than a few rods. If you really want to chase fish in the bay buy a boat or at least a kayak it opens up a whole new world.

shanewolfe

Sep 4, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    Thanks, kstone!

A kayak is in the works. I have a canoe now, but it is too big to handle with just me (17 footer).

Eventually, I'll pick up a bigger boat of some sort. No place to keep it right now until I get the camper sold and out of the driveway.

Thank you for the recommendation on the Abu Garcia. I had some really nice Abu Garcia stuff a while back for freshwater and it got stolen from my camp site. I'm still bummed about that.

I've been getting into fly fishing over the last couple of years as well.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    try flying for them snapper blues. mean buggers.

I have a rig with a spinner and a piece of wire with a removable double hook. Slide a frozen spearing on it and cast away. I can never remember what the rig is called. Ask the guy at the bait shop for a spearing rig.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    It depends. Do you want to catch perch, croaker and the occasional blue or are you going to target rocks and big blues only? For my perch rods I buy the Abu Garcia combos. Only brand I will buy now. They will last 4-5 years compared to the shakespeares and others that bind up and become paperweights after one year. If you're after the bigger fish buy a decent rod then pick up a shimano baitrunner for it. I've been fishing the bay my whole life so I've broken/had crap out more than a few rods. If you really want to chase fish in the bay buy a boat or at least a kayak it opens up a whole new world.

This! I used to run a couple St. Croix and Shimano Bait Runner combos 'til they went up in a boat fire... Awesome rods and reels. I would also add that the PENN suggestion is a good one to.

shanewolfe

Sep 4, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    Probably Sandy Point or there-about...

Mark - I'm in AA County and fish mostly State and County parks. I haven't fished Sandy Point yet, but plan to.

I've been over to the Indian River inlet a bunch while camping over there.

Sounds like I need to get two different setups.

BTW - if you guys are into bass fishing, check out mysterytacklebox.com. I'm really liking the stuff they send.

-Shane

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I never did any real freshwater fishing growing up and have never learned how to use a conventional reel; just spinners for me. I rarely throw lures, so if that is your game plan, I really do not have much advice to offer. I don't know what your budget is, so that will play a big role in what gear you get.

From piers and shore, in the Bay, I like to have two rods most of the time. Depending on how I am feeling, occasionally I will run a third setup, which is actually my smaller surf tackle. I like a 7' Medium or Medium Heavy rod with a fast action. For the reel, I like anywhere from a 2000-4000 size, depending mostly on the balance. For my second rod I like a 8' to 10' Medium Heavy rod with a more moderate action for throwing chunks of bait or live lining. I like to have a 4000-6000 size reel on this. Now that I have found baitrunner type reels, they are definitely my preference for this rod. I usually hold the 7'er and deadstick the bigger rod with baitrunner reel.

I recently upgraded my "Bay" gear to replace my old ugly stiks and Penn reels. For my smaller setup I went with a 7' Med power fast action St. Croix Tidemaster with a 3000 Shimano Stradic FJ loaded with 10 pound PowerPro. The rod is rated for, I think, 1/4 -3/4 oz lures. I absolutely love this setup, but it wasn't cheap. It casts amazing and is extremely sensitive compared to my old ugly sticks. The Stradic is silky smooth, powerful, and lays line on the spool better than anything I have ever seen. I use to use a smaller 5' light or ultralight rod with a 1000-2000 size reel, but don't find I used it much anymore because of this setup. It can cast the very light stuff a good ways and has the sensitivity as well as the backbone to catch some bigger things.

My bigger setup is a 9' Medium Heavy / Mod Fast Action St. Croix Mojo Surf paired with a Penn V series spinfisher with the live liner drag (4500) with 20 pound PowerPro. This too is awesome for what I do. It is rated for 3/4 - 4 oz, but the sweet spot for me is about 2-1/2 oz. It casts great and the Penn lays line almost as well as the Stradic; though it is not as smooth and doesn't feel as fluid.

With these two setups I am confident that I am prepared to target and handle anything I am going to run into from shore where I fish (mainly north of Bay Bridge).

CalvesOfSteel

Dec 31, 2013
    HoCo
    What is the budget you're willing to spend?

If you're fishing off piers and jetties and use spinners, Shimano Socorro 8k or 10k is good budget spinner reel. which can be purchased for $80 bang for the buck.
    also you can match it with Daiwa beef stick which can cost at most $40 and with that set up you can abuse your gear without much fear.

If you're going to surf go for baitcasting reels and rod set up for the distance casting and you can get better chance catching bigger fish. I would go with either Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 10000I or Ambassadeur 7000 C3I.
    Rod you can use 12' ugly stick
    Also minimum of 12' rod is recommended but I personally use 15'

Fishing with spinner is easier to cast and can save you money from saving lines average caster will cast aroud 65 - 80 yds
    Baitcasting is harder to learn on and can cost you alot of money from bird nesting when you open spool from the cast. That can cost you alot of money so get those cheapo #30 mono test and learn with it and once you get used to casting you can switch to braided which is punishing with 1 mistake and cost you alot of money just for lining. But if youre sucessful you can easily cast 150- 200yds and I have seen some people cast up to 300yds + which i thought it wasn't even possible.

So budget is really the main point. Spinner Reel, Cheapo rod, #50 braid minimal $180
    Baitcaster reel, cheapo rod, #80 backing, #50 mono leader minimal $450

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    I have a serious addiction to the Shakespeare Ugly Stik rod with Cabela's Salt Striker reels. Limitless combinations and they've never let me down.

YMMV

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Based on what I think you are asking for, I would suggest an Ugly Stick and a Shimano Baitrunner 4000 series. I love the St.Croix, but that would depend on your budget. If you are going to fish for some big cats or by boat, you might consider going the next step up on the reel. YMMV.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    A 6'6" fast action St. Croix with a Penn 5500 spinner is my go-to for most everything inshore. Mostly river fishing cats, perch, etc. But also works great when I'm on the rocks/piers in OC. Too frail for the Rt. 50 bridge, though. St. Croix is definitely pricey, but if you can swing it you'll love it.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    being as you re a fresh water guy, you would probably be more into light tackle jigging (LTJ). That said, I would recommend a good Shimano spinning reel (i,e a Stradic) and a Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blade high modulus rod.

Pay a visit to BassPro, and talk to the guys behind the counter where the reels are. Explain to them what you want to target and where, and give them your budget. They will steer you right. Tight Lines!

shanewolfe

Sep 4, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    Lots of great suggestions!

Thanks everyone!

I don't mind spending the money on good stuff if it will last. There are lots of great suggestions here. Sounds like I'm going to be getting a few different setups.

We are heading up to the NH coast this summer, so I'll probably get the saltwater setup.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    What is the budget you're willing to spend?

If you're fishing off piers and jetties and use spinners, Shimano Socorro 8k or 10k is good budget spinner reel. which can be purchased for $80 bang for the buck.
    also you can match it with Daiwa beef stick which can cost at most $40 and with that set up you can abuse your gear without much fear.

If you're going to surf go for baitcasting reels and rod set up for the distance casting and you can get better chance catching bigger fish. I would go with either Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 10000I or Ambassadeur 7000 C3I.
    Rod you can use 12' ugly stick
    Also minimum of 12' rod is recommended but I personally use 15'

Fishing with spinner is easier to cast and can save you money from saving lines average caster will cast aroud 65 - 80 yds
    Baitcasting is harder to learn on and can cost you alot of money from bird nesting when you open spool from the cast. That can cost you alot of money so get those cheapo #30 mono test and learn with it and once you get used to casting you can switch to braided which is punishing with 1 mistake and cost you alot of money just for lining. But if youre sucessful you can easily cast 150- 200yds and I have seen some people cast up to 300yds + which i thought it wasn't even possible.

So budget is really the main point. Spinner Reel, Cheapo rod, #50 braid minimal $180
    Baitcaster reel, cheapo rod, #80 backing, #50 mono leader minimal $450
    Did you mean 300 Feet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom