• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I’m curious if you are going to teach him to shoot left handed.
    Since he was about 7 years old, we have known that he is left eye dominant. Since then, all I have been doing is having him shoot left handed.

This thread inspired me to pull an adult size 20 gauge out of the safe last night so he could try it. He can shoulder it without a problem now. I just need to change the cast on it to left handed. It will still eject shells across his face though. Once he graduates to the 12 gauge, I will get him a left handed SBE. Then, I will look for a left handed deer rifle for him too. Still trying to figure out which model of bow I should get him since he can draw at 46 pounds, but once I figure that out it will be a left handed bow. He tried his friend's right handed bow and it was a complete disaster. Arrow ended up a couple feet off target at 15 yards and in the dirt.

My daughter can shoulder the 20 gauge youth model without a problem now, so they will both be shooting 20 gauge for the foreseeable future. My son is hitting puberty right now, so I am hoping I will be looking for that SBE in September.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Isn't a 20 ga too much recoil for a 6 year old? I doubt there's many 28 ga options, and even that might be too much, so I'd stick with a 410

The Mossberg 510 Youth might be the ticket, 410 pump with an expandable stock so he won't outgrow it for a while

For small 'yutes ( same principles for extra petite women , and creaky senior citizens ) , it's not just recoil per se , but at least as much the physical weight of the gun in context of handling , mounting , proper swing , etc .

For repeating shotgun for a 6yo , the above referenced Moss M510 heads a very short list .

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I think starting him with 22 and 410 is a great idea. Make sure when you start taking him out, he is the only focus for you and the entire trip is tailored to make sure he is successful. Kids get frustrated and bored fast. Expecting them to handle the hardships of duck hunting could turn them off from failure. Squirrels is a great start for kids.

I remember taking my boy at 4 to a private pond to fish for sunfish. He caught a bunch of 9" - 10" sunnies and I cleaned them and let him help cook them and they got to eat them, fresh the same day. He's 29 now and that still sticks in his head the day we went out to catch those "Monster fish" as he called them then. He also clearly remembers his first hunting trip where we tried to shoot pigeons and he shot at one landed at 25 yards and the 410 didn't kill them. He turned around on the 20 gauge with ducks and stuff, but the 410 lack of killing power frustrated him.

They are quick to build drive and can get frustrated very fast. Just make the trips all about him to get the first and not the latter.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I think starting him with 22 and 410 is a great idea. Make sure when you start taking him out, he is the only focus for you and the entire trip is tailored to make sure he is successful. Kids get frustrated and bored fast. Expecting them to handle the hardships of duck hunting could turn them off from failure. Squirrels is a great start for kids.

I remember taking my boy at 4 to a private pond to fish for sunfish. He caught a bunch of 9" - 10" sunnies and I cleaned them and let him help cook them and they got to eat them, fresh the same day. He's 29 now and that still sticks in his head the day we went out to catch those "Monster fish" as he called them then. He also clearly remembers his first hunting trip where we tried to shoot pigeons and he shot at one landed at 25 yards and the 410 didn't kill them. He turned around on the 20 gauge with ducks and stuff, but the 410 lack of killing power frustrated him.

They are quick to build drive and can get frustrated very fast. Just make the trips all about him to get the first and not the latter.
    It is all about making sure they have a great experience the first couple times they come out.

First time I took my son waterfowling, I brought a propane stove, pan, breakfast sausage, cheese, and bread. We made some sausage and cheese sandwiches for breakfast. Also went to McDonalds too. Luckily, we had some action that morning too.

Pics from the first time he came waterfowling and actually had a hunting license, and a pic from my daughter coming last year as a spectator. She is chomping at the bit to finish up the hunter safety course so she can get her license.

Just realized why we didn't have any luck last year. I wasn't wearing my 20+ year old lucky green DU hat. Going to have to find that for next week.

MdShooters152.jpg
    MdShooters151.jpg
    MdShooters153.jpg
    MdShooters347.jpg

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I don't know you or your son and my opinion is worth what you paid for it but I think a 6 y.o. is entirely too young to be swinging a shotgun. I appreciate your enthusiasm toward raising your son as a hunter but think you're rushing it. With that in mind I'd suggest a .410 single shot on stationary targets and plan on moving him up through the gauges as he matures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom