• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'm going to get a shotgun for my son to use next hunting season. He's been "hunting" with an unloaded bb gun in the duck blind since he was 3. This year I'm letting him have a few BBs to shoot at the ducks/geese while I shoot them with real shot. Next week I'm going to take him to an outdoor range to shoot a .22 rifle at paper a few times from a bench.

He'll turn 6 this spring and I was thinking of getting him a youth model for his birthday so that I can take him shooting a few times throughout the spring and summer with the goal of him being able to hunt with it next duck season.

Please share recommendations. He's got a younger brother two years behind him, so I may end up buying two of whatever works best. Cheap is good, but I need something that won't require troubleshooting. I was thinking of a Remington youth in .410, but there seem to be a lot more options these days. I'll only give him one shell at a time until he's older, but want a pump so he can continue using it until he's big enough for a full size shotgun. He's tall and generally mature for his age. His three favorite activities are hunting, fishing and crabbing.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Well, prior to the last few years, with some influence of your budget, I would have recommended a remmy 870 or 1187 youth model. 20g. As an adult I like it, and with the youth barrel, they’re light and compact. But i am not sure what of those is available these days, after their reorganization and stuff. I would try there first.

I was given a HR topper 20 as a youth. I would not go that way for my son, if he was interested. Pump or semi would be my choice for him.

maybe check youth 20’s, and maybe 12 youth, from other companies that are in the same sizing as the remmys. mossberg?benelli? Or whatever. I am not as familiar with their offerings. A trip around the internet or bass pro could help.

also, I would stay away 410. Main reason, some states have limits on 410 for hunting things, like deer. 12/20, is good most anywhere for anything. birds big game small game, both will do it all. And the loads are common and affordable… the right gun will last a life time, memories from the years of youth are part of it.

focus on something robust. Many of the models are tough. Take a beating. they’ll stand up to decades of abuse.

one other thing. When you go shopping, take him with you. It’s a bonding experience. And being part of it was a big thing when I went with my father. Al’s sporting goods, market street, in Wilmington. Long ago, but I’ll remember it for ever.

good luck with your choice.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I still have my Remington 870 20ga youth I got for Christmas when I was 12. I broke the original stock and replaced it with a full size stock and bought a 28" barrel for it but sill have the 21" barrel it came with. Before that I shot a single shot H&R 20ga. I'd go with a 20ga. Some of the newer Benelli semis are really soft shooters so that may be an option too.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Stevens 410 or the 20 gauge single shot. If you’re near Anglers in Annapolis they had a 20 on clearance for $149.
    20 maybe to much for him right now, but then the 410 might be a little to light for Daffy.
    Oops missed the part about a pump.
    Easy, Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 both come in light youth models in both 410 and 20 gauge. Lot of Walmarts carry them. Cheap but work.

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    When my son turned 12, I got him a Mossburg 500 Youth Bantam Combo 20ga. in Camo. It came with extra stock spacers to allow him to grow, and a slug barrel. I think I paid around $450-500 back 6 years ago but YMMV.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I think at 6 a 410 and teach him to shoot. He is still going to need to grow into enough size enough to swing a 20 gauge before killing ducks or geese. My boy was talking today about how disappointing it was shooting at pigeons with a 410 and not killing them because it wasn't enough shot in them.

Get some low weight 20 gauge shot shell when you first get him started and just get him enjoying shooting before breaking out the hunting loads that kick more. Winchester featherweight is one. Worst thing I ever did was buy a light weight, break open Pardner in 20 gauge. The thing kicks like a damn mule and scared the kids from shooting. Get a good pump and when they are strong enough to control it, let them shoot and then hunt with it. I went and bought and 1187 in youth 20 gauge. My son said "its heavy" I said heavy and semi auto kicks less and he was happy about that.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    With the kindness of another member here, I got my boys a youth model 870 20ga. It was great. The younger one loves it. He got his first squirrel with it last year and was beaming.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    When you go shopping, take him with you. It’s a bonding experience. And being part of it was a big thing when I went with my father. Al’s sporting goods, market street, in Wilmington. Long ago, but I’ll remember it for ever.

good luck with your choice.
    I got my Converse Dr. Js and gear there. Don't remember shotguns. (70s)

I went to Millers by the airport.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I almost wonder if I should have titled this, "what shotgun did you start hunting with as a kid?" because those stories are so interesting!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I almost wonder if I should have titled this, "what shotgun did you start hunting with as a kid?" because those stories are so interesting!
    I started with a .410 single shot at 6 years old. Then graduated to a 20 gauge single shot around 9 years old. Then graduated to a Browning A5 12 gauge around the age of 11. Then the following year I was shooting a Winchester 101 12 gauge. Then a Browning BPS 12 gauge. I got the Browning BPS for my 8th birthday, but that thing did not fit me until I was in middle school.

I got my son a Beretta A400 Xplor Action in 28 gauge, but it isn't a youth model. I was going to send the stock out to get a recoil reducer and adjustable pad for LOP, but that never happened. Now, at the age of 13 he easily shoots a youth Beretta 391 20 gauge and in a year or two he will be graduating to a 12 gauge.

This is him holding the 28 gauge at one of the New Year's day MDS shoots at Carroll County Gun Club.

MdShooters138.jpg

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Its hard to beat the youth 870. But... You could also be on the lookout for a Rossi trifecta.... comes with 3 barrels. 22lr, 243 and 20ga.

ras61

Nov 13, 2013
    Isn't a 20 ga too much recoil for a 6 year old? I doubt there's many 28 ga options, and even that might be too much, so I'd stick with a 410

The Mossberg 510 Youth might be the ticket, 410 pump with an expandable stock so he won't outgrow it for a while

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I got both my boys an 870 youth 20 gauge. My oldest son now has a son of his own. That was my plan, to give them a gun they could pass to their own boys some day. My youngest son literally grew out of his youth gun in one season. I don’t think I had them on shotguns though until 8 or 10. Six is pretty young. I’m not saying that to say you shouldn’t do it, I’m just saying that’s about as young as you can start them. If I had to choose between a .410 and waiting a year or two in order to handle a 20 gauge I’d wait. I just think a .410 doesn’t give a new shooter much of a chance of hitting anything.
    I really like your idea of letting your son sort of shadow you with a BB gun. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Yeah, I'm going to see how he likes shooting a .22 from a bench next week and we'll add in shotgun when the time is right. He's very eager so I want to keep encouraging him. I also take him squirrel hunting, and I've got a very reliable spot where we can post up and he can take his time making a shot, so I'm thinking he can mostly focus on squirrel with the .410. His kindergarten teacher was surprised how much he knew about squirrels when they did a week on mammals in October. Apparently he was the only one who could make a squirrel barking sound and he knew they are most active at dawn and dusk. Talk about a proud dad moment! After my rough duck hunt this morning, I know I'd have trouble knocking down a duck with a .410! :) So perhaps waiting until he can shoot a .20 is best for starting him on real duck hunting. I'll see how it goes. For now he's very excited that he'll get to have the BB gun in the goose blind again next week. Thanks everyone for the helpful information.

ras61

Nov 13, 2013
    After my rough duck hunt this morning, I know I'd have trouble knocking down a duck with a .410! :)

Very good point, I'd start him out with some slow, easy, trap targets with the 410, bringing down a live target can be challenging for an adult with a 12 bore. Better to hit a few clay targets than getting frustrated or embarrassed with live game

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Very good point, I'd start him out with some slow, easy, trap targets with the 410, bringing down a a live target can be challenging for an adult with a 12 bore. Better to hit a few clay targets than getting frustrated or embarrassed with live game
    Best to start him with clays sitting on a fence post or something. I am letting my 10 year old blast soda cans when we wrap up dove hunting, but with the 28 gauge. The first shot this September, she was really hesitant. After the first shot, I could not get her to pack up. I am going to try to get her to use the 20 gauge youth model this summer on sporting clays.

The last thing you want to do is to let them touch off a trigger, have the recoil crush them, and then have them turned off from it for a while. That is what happened with my son. I was letting him aim and pull the trigger on my SBE while I held the gun to my shoulder. Before I knew it, he put is entire head across the stock so he could use his left, dominant eye, to aim with and he pulled the trigger. He was standing on the left side of the gun like a right handed shooter would, but he put his cheek to the stock at a 90 degree angle so he could get his left eye in line. The stock crushed him, he broke down crying even though he was trying damn hard not to, and he had a huge welt on his cheek.

When he had to squeeze off a single round with the 20 gauge when he took his hunter safety course at age 8, he was on the verge of tears. However, he didn't want to let me down, so he pulled the trigger. I hope the board member that was standing next to him and whispering words of encouragement to him when that went down reads this. My son wants to accompany my daughter to the same hunter's safety field test when she takes it and he is telling her that it will be no problem.

ras61

Nov 13, 2013
    Best to start him with clays sitting on a fence post or something. I am letting my 10 year old blast soda cans when we wrap up dove hunting, but with the 28 gauge. The first shot this September, she was really hesitant. After the first shot, I could not get her to pack up. I am going to try to get her to use the 20 gauge youth model this summer on sporting clays.

The last thing you want to do is to let them touch off a trigger, have the recoil crush them, and then have them turned off from it for a while. That is what happened with my son. I was letting him aim and pull the trigger on my SBE while I held the gun to my shoulder. Before I knew it, he put is entire head across the stock so he could use his left, dominant eye, to aim with and he pulled the trigger. He was standing on the left side of the gun like a right handed shooter would, but he put his cheek to the stock at a 90 degree angle so he could get his left eye in line. The stock crushed him, he broke down crying even though he was trying damn hard not to, and he had a huge welt on his cheek.

When he had to squeeze off a single round with the 20 gauge when he took his hunter safety course at age 8, he was on the verge of tears. However, he didn't want to let me down, so he pulled the trigger. I hope the board member that was standing next to him and whispering words of encouragement to him when that went down reads this. My son wants to accompany my daughter to the same hunter's safety field test when she takes it and he is telling her that it will be no problem.
    An even better way to be introduced to a shotgun, small steps for small children :thumbsup:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

I’m curious if you are going to teach him to shoot left handed.

lazybones

BANNED!!!
    Mar 25, 2022
    Semi-auto 20 ga with target loads. A semi-auto dampens the push spike. The loads make a big difference. I still have an 1100 youth 20 used by kids 20 years ago. It is pretty handy and a used one should be reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom