• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Just started myself. Just go and try it if you havent already. Its lots of fun with learning experience. I do agree most people are friendly. I go just for practice. Taking my time and dont worry about scores. I focus on hitting the target more than the time.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep as noted above, just jump in. it really is nothing all that complex. handgun, holster and at least two mag pouches and you're set. visit idpa's website and read thru the rules. but at your first match, just let them know you're the new guy an everyone will take total care of you. just treat your current idpa match as practice for the next one.

thurmont is having an idpa tomorrow (tuesday), new shooters have to be there at noon. peacemaker range near martinsburg is having an idpa (and also uspsa) match this upcoming saturday. visit their website.

if you don't mind schlepping out to chantilly, va, blue ridge arsenal has one match a month, wednesdays, in one-hour time slots from 6 - 10pm, generally 4-5 shooters per time slot.

all these are in the $20-30 price range so very affordable.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yep as noted above, just jump in. it really is nothing all that complex. handgun, holster and at least two mag pouches and you're set. visit idpa's website and read thru the rules. but at your first match, just let them know you're the new guy an everyone will take total care of you. just treat your current idpa match as practice for the next one.

thurmont is having an idpa tomorrow (tuesday), new shooters have to be there at noon. peacemaker range near martinsburg is having an idpa (and also uspsa) match this upcoming saturday. visit their website.

if you don't mind schlepping out to chantilly, va, blue ridge arsenal has one match a month, wednesdays, in one-hour time slots from 6 - 10pm, generally 4-5 shooters per time slot.

all these are in the $20-30 price range so very affordable.

yup..

do adhere to the rules!

few I can think of:
    1)finger off trigger until ready to shoot (including when you are on the move)
    2)watch your 180 (dont swing gun around, point in unsafe manner)
    3)know your target and whats behind
    3)listen carefully for the stage description/briefs and Safety officers commands.
    4)do the stage on your phase!

also... training you can do at home.. train unholstering, loading mags.. trigger controls. of course, all these done while the firearm is UNLOADED! :)

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    The group in Thurmont requires a new shooter class (held at noon before the matches) that includes some very good basic tips on skills for IDPA for first time attendees. In addition to basic range and IDPA rules, there is some good info on drawing and firing from a holster. Also, although AAF&G runs great matches, Thurmont offers the ability to carry the firearm loaded throughout the match. It really changes your outlook when you're hauling around a loaded full-size 1911 for a few hours in the Summer heat. I wussed :D out and went to polymer (Glock and XD) and would then only occasionaly use a 1911 or revolver.

I think someone was offering a basic IDPA skills class but can't recall any specifics. I'll see if I can't locate the info and post it here.

I'm a lifelong Maryland resident and thus don't (currently) have the ability to carry concealed in the state. With IDPA you are offered the ability to engage in gun handling skills that you won't get anywhere outside of competition(s) and training classes.

Matt G

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    There is an intro to action shooting clinic held at the NRA range about once a month on Sunday nights. You'll have the watch the calendar for dates

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    update: only been doing it 6 times.. last saturday was the classification. made esp marksman.

just show up and have fun!!

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm a lifelong Maryland resident and thus don't (currently) have the ability to carry concealed in the state. With IDPA you are offered the ability to engage in gun handling skills that you won't get anywhere outside of competition(s) and training classes.
    Matt G

I work on my conceal carry skill set every time I am at the range. No need to limit your practice time to when you are at a match.

I still don’t get why the IDPA organization doesn’t let you appendix carry. :sad20:

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I still don’t get why the IDPA organization doesn’t let you appendix carry. :sad20:

I do not know the true reason. But most likely it has to do with safety.
    Always want the muzzle pointing in a safe direction. (Down range)
    If you have an accidental discharge at 3-5 O'clock OWB, or IWB worst that will probably happen is shooting your foot or ankle.
    Carrying at 1-2O'clock, you are likely to shoot your nuts off, and possibly hitting a major blood artery in your leg.

That is my guess as to why it is not allowed.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I do not know the true reason. But most likely it has to do with safety.
    Always want the muzzle pointing in a safe direction. (Down range)
    If you have an accidental discharge at 3-5 O'clock OWB, or IWB worst that will probably happen is shooting your foot or ankle.
    Carrying at 1-2O'clock, you are likely to shoot your nuts off, and possibly hitting a major blood artery in your leg.

That is my guess as to why it is not allowed.

This.. the muzzle has to be pointing in safe direction.

The club I shoot at. They will penalize you if you change mags and the muzzle is point up/above the berm.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    This.. the muzzle has to be pointing in safe direction.

The club I shoot at. They will penalize you if you change mags and the muzzle is point up/above the berm.

I get this but my Raven Concealment holster I wear at 3 oclock points right into my leg because it sits so tight to my body and this will get worse as my legs get bigger. Right now if I stand with my feet together a ND would just nick the side of my leg but if I stand how I normally shoot, wider than shoulder width, a ND would go through my leg and likely hit my knee/calf as well. If they use the "we dont want your holstered gun pointing at you" excuse then most holsters would need to be banned and they would have to require you to wear a holster with an offset to keep the gun from pointing at your leg.

If they are worried about the 180 degree rule or lack of visibility to the SO when drawing I wouldnt object to standing slightly bladed at the start or a stage.

Sanners has teh above the berm rule to, and I totally agree with it, even though my muscle memory makes my break that rule some times.
    Also, appendix IWB is allowed in USPSA Open, Limited, and L-10 so why not IDPA?

I guess I need to hit up a USPSA match at Sanners when I get back in town. :D

Sanners has the above the berm rule too, and I totally agree with it, even though my muscle memory makes me break that rule sometimes. :innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I get this but my Raven Concealment holster I wear at 3 oclock points right into my leg because it sits so tight to my body and this will get worse as my legs get bigger. Right now if I stand with my feet together a ND would just nick the side of my leg but if I stand how I normally shoot, wider than shoulder width, a ND would go through my leg and likely hit my knee/calf as well. If they use the "we dont want your holstered gun pointing at you" excuse then most holsters would need to be banned and they would have to require you to wear a holster with an offset to keep the gun from pointing at your leg.

If they are worried about the 180 degree rule or lack of visibility to the SO when drawing I wouldnt object to standing slightly bladed at the start or a stage.

Also, appendix IWB is allowed in USPSA Open, Limited, and L-10 so why not IDPA?

I guess I need to hit up a USPSA match at Sanners when I get back in town. :D

different matches.. different rules.. uspsa is more relax about what kind of holster you have what not..

uspsa at sanners.. its fun!.. way different than idpa.. its more mental game.. you make up how you want to shoot unlike the ipda its pre-designed which target you have to shoot first.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    Aside from regular accuracy practice at your usual range, practice drawing from concealment and obtaining a sight picture, mag change (all empty), aim again, then transition to a different target. If you've got room and privacy around your house/apartment, try running around the living room/basement/garage to different "targets" and making sure that you keep your finger off of the trigger. Also, try dry-firing while walking, it's required in some stages to shoot WHILE moving.

Of course, when you do any of these things, make certain that your gun is empty, no magazine, nothing in the chamber... that's not something you want to explain.

My usual range doesn't allow rapid fire shooting, so I just load 2 or 3 rounds per magazine, and transition between targets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom