• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZK308

Jun 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase my first 2 suppressors an could use some suggestions. I'm not new to the NFA process, I own 1 SBR, have another in purgatory along with a Mac 11-9 MG. I've already talked to Vince up at Duffy's about some gemtechs and I'm still not sure how I made it out if there without buying anything. But I'd like to hear some other opinions. I'm looking for a suppressor for my AR's- 10.5-16" barrels 5.56. I'm not sure if any companies offer warranties or anything but I want a good quality can that will last me a long time from a company with good customer service. I'm thinking I want a quick disconnect type, unless anyone has any objections. Also, is it worth it to go titanium?

For my second, remember that m11 I mentioned? With all the atf disapprovals going on lately, I think I'll hold off until I get the gun in my hands before I jump on a can, but I'd like to pick something out now. Has to be full auto rated. Would like to be able to screw it on a 9mm pistol as well. Thanks in advance!

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I have an M4-2k and the first time I shot it I was very impressed. Part of me wishes I had gone with the Mini4 at this point for OAL... But maybe next time.
    The 51T is a great mount in my opinion.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    SilencerCo all the way! Their customer service is unmatched. If you have any problems that's not blatantly stupid on your part, they'll replace everything except for the tube obviously. May I recommend the Saker 556 if you want a lot of extra features or have many different platforms. For a cheaper option get the Specwar 556, just as strong but with less mounting options and extra features. As far as a sub-gun suppressor, Gemtech from what I understand makes some of the best. Talk with Vince on that one, as some can be hard to find. I just got a Specwar 556 for my FNC machinegun and a Sparrow for 22LR applications. Truly awesome suppressors for the money.

ZK308

Jun 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    Vince must be slipping in his old age.:D
    It most certainly was not due to a lack of trying on his part, lol. He even let me pop off a couple suppressed rounds out back :gun7::party29: After that I have no need to shop anywhere else. Great guy to deal with! I hope to be back up there filling out a form 4 very soon.

Is there any reason you guys recommend the cans you have over other options? Is there anything I should stay away from?

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    The only cans I can personally speak to are the Mini4, M42K, and Osprey. All were great in my opinion. If you plan to shoot 300Blk sub rounds the Osprey could be an option so you could also use it for your handguns.

The first time I shot the M42K with a standard round I was pleasantly surprised. Which is why I recommend it. That, and here good to go with a 10.5 barrel.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I own the following:
    Tactical Innovations TAC16 (5.56mm):
    My first can, cheap price, with strong stainless steel and user serviceable. Heavy as sh!t at 24oz, but will last on long strings of full-auto fire. Direct thread-on at ½-28 pitch. Lesson learned, could have spent a little more money and got a better suppressor from another company. $475 before taxes and shipping.

Bowers CAC-9 (9mm):
    This suppressor came with my Cobray M-11/9mm. Decent sub-gun can that I had re-core and upgraded to Bower's AIMS/VERS adapter system. No complaints, as it performs well and now has many different thread adapter options, including a stainless steel UZI barrel nut adapter (very cool). These can be had used for VERY cheap and can be re-cored and upgraded for about $100. $435 brand new before taxes and shipping.

Gemtech Quicksand (.30cal):
    TheDevilHimself helped me with this one. I was tired of my heavy ass TAC16 suppressor and wanted a quick-detach (QD) with something that could fit on many of my rifle thread pitches, such as AK-47, FAL, M1A, HK93/91, AR-308, etc. All this, and I wanted it to be light! This one stung a little, as it was very expensive, but now everyone of my rifles can accept a suppressor! The Quicksand is made out of Titanium and has a very nice tone on full power .308 calibers. Not sure, but I think I paid around $1100 at Duffy’s. I can’t stress this enough, on longer barrels 16”+ a light suppressor is a must! It was worth the money, as it’s my go-to can on all my non-SBR rifles.

SilencerCo Osprey 45 (.45cal):
    In my opinion if you had to get just one pistol suppressor this would be it, hands down! When running wet or during non-humid days, it makes pistols (9mm-45ACP) truly hearing safe. I’ve noticed on more humid days the sound on supersonic loads can be a little uncomfortable. I’m very picky about the phrase “hearing safe” and this can comes the closest with supersonic pistol loads. Not to mention the mounting system is awesome and has many available thread pitches. Approximately $850.

SilencerCo Specwar 556 (5.56mm):
    Got this specifically for my upcoming FN FNC machinegun, as it’s a REALLY good price and the baffles are entirely made from Stellite (tougher then inconel). Full-auto rated and fairly light considering the materials, AND has one of the best metering of any suppressor on the market at approximately 130db for supersonic 5.56mm loads. Still not hearing safe in my opinion for long strings of shooting, however true "hearing safe" on full powered supersonic rifle loads is a myth for all practical purposes (i.e. not a 30oz suppressor). Approximately $800.

SilencerCo Sparrow (.22LR – 5.7mm):
    Another very cool suppressor from SilencerCo, as they’ve made cleaning a .22LR can relatively easy. Watch the disassembly videos online. Made from all stainless steel (good for ultra-sonic cleaners), yet still light and compact. It even cycles on my Tactical Solutions Glock .22LR conversion kit with CCI blazer. Some complain about a FRP (first round pop), but from what I heard during a test fire it wasn’t that bad, and all rounds after that were amazingly quite. You could shoot that thing all day without hearing protection and be just fine, then stick it in the dishwasher. Awesome! Approximately $600.

That’s been my experience. I bought the Quicksand and all the SilencerCo suppressors at Duffy's with the help from Vince. Thanks buddy! Awesome dude and very helpful, especially when getting some cool Title II toys. It’s the only shop in my opinion for Class III goodness. My price estimates might be off, so be sure to check on those first. Cheers!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    9mm auto can + ability to use on pistol are somewhat opposing needs. FA typ needs large volume = large/heavier. Pistol typ needs a decoupling device to cycle and is smaller/lighter. Gemtech (MK9K), Bowers (CAC/VERS), and Thompson (SM?) make hi-volume 9mm cans.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    9mm auto can + ability to use on pistol are somewhat opposing needs. FA typ needs large volume = large/heavier. Pistol typ needs a decoupling device to cycle and is smaller/lighter. Gemtech (MK9K), Bowers (CAC/VERS), and Thompson (SM?) make hi-volume 9mm cans.

I've been eye balling the SilencerCo Octane 9 with the tri-lug adapter. They apparently state that with the tri-lug adapter, it acts like a larger blast chamber, and can be used safely on sustained full-auto fire. Then you just equip your sub-guns with a tri-lug thread conversion. The Octane series also uses the same pistons as the Osprey series. I really want to test that combo out on my Cobray. And obviously you can use it on 9mm pistols, as part of its original design.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Just picked up my MK9K yesterday and haven't had a chance to play w/ it yet. I got both my Lage uppers (11A & 31Amk2) w/ 3-lug barrels but my M11A1 to use them on isn't out of purgatory get:( So no FA testing until that happens. Its transferring w/ a matching CAC380 that I'll be able to compare to someday. Might try to get out and shoot the mk5k on a semi this weekend.

The MK9K is almost 2x the volume of the Octane. It should be quieter and definitely have less blowback & lower tone. But no way to be used on most pistols (would take TALL sights too;)) I don't think the 3-lug mount adds appreciable volume. The barrel takes it all back up inside. FWIW, JB Tactical makes a 3-lug adapter for a AAC TiRant too.
    http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/JB-Tactical-AAC-Tirant-Adapter-152p16726.htm

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    9mm auto can + ability to use on pistol are somewhat opposing needs. FA typ needs large volume = large/heavier. Pistol typ needs a decoupling device to cycle and is smaller/lighter.

+1. Volume is your friend with subgun cans. Buy the right tool for the job. And they are cheaper than a good quality pistol can.

terp

Jul 12, 2007
    For the OP in FA, I'd recommend the MK9K. It's what I run on my M11A1. I'm no expert, but I think the extra volume helps reduce blowback on FA open bolt guns.

It is not a small can. You will not want to put it on a pistol unless you have VERY tall sights and VERY strong wrists. ;)

Like smdub I have the Lage 11a and 31a uppers. I also got a new stock 11A1 upper from cobray and had trosusa put a three lug on it. The MK9K works well with all three.

ZK308

Jun 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    So it looks like the MK9K is where it's at for the Mac. I guess I'm between the specwar and the m42000 for the ARs. Since Vince has the latter in stock, I may be doing paperwork for that tomorrow unless uou guys can convince me that the stellite baffles are superior and worth waiting for...

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    So it looks like the MK9K is where it's at for the Mac. I guess I'm between the specwar and the m42000 for the ARs. Since Vince has the latter in stock, I may be doing paperwork for that tomorrow unless uou guys can convince me that the stellite baffles are superior and worth waiting for...

2A Sales has SpecWar556's in stock. Stellite is said to be 30% stronger than inconel. If true, which from Silencerco's testing it appears to be, I'd say it's superior. Plus it doesn't hurt the Silencerco has the best CS in the biz and their products have lifetime warranties.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD

I have a few Specwars & Sakers in stock as well, both in 5.56 & 7.62. The MK9Ks are inbound, I ordered some 1/2x28 & others with the 3 lug mount. Drop on by and have a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom