• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Can anyone recommend some tabletop case trimmers? I trust you guys more than the reviews on MidwayUSA. If it helps I use Lee dies so I have shell holders for the calibers I'll be trimming. Doesn't have to be Lee but I'm looking for a case trimmer that has everything needed to trim at least the following accurately without breaking the bank(sub-$100):

.223 Remington
    .30-06
    .30 carbine
    .303 British
    .308 Winchester
    45ACP

So what do you guys use/don't use and why.

Thanks!

ksy95

Mar 11, 2013
    Honestly I use the basic Lee case trimmer and lock stud and buy a case length gauge + shell holder. They're like $10 together on Midway. If you want to speed things up, attach the end of the lock stud to a drill and just spin it until the resistance stops. It's an idiot proof trimmer.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I use a hand cranked Forster trimmer and it works great.. you need the pilots and collets to do various calibers, but the kit gives you most of the common needs.. I have no idea what they are priced at today, mine is older than dirt and still works great.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    The wilson trimmer works well in that realm. I think a giraurd would do you some good!

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I used the Lyman Universal Case Trimmer. It has a power drill adapter and a universal chuck which locks the case with a partial throw of a lever.
    I like it because it is not case specific.
    Costs about $70.
    DocAitch

I use the Sinclair's Ultimate Trimmer version of LE Wilson's fine trimmer. You are not going to get it for less than $100.00, plus you need the shell holders. I just bought a carbide trimmer for it which I drive with a cordless driver. You can also sharpen the steel trimmers on a stone.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Can anyone recommend some tabletop case trimmers? I trust you guys more than the reviews on MidwayUSA. If it helps I use Lee dies so I have shell holders for the calibers I'll be trimming. Doesn't have to be Lee but I'm looking for a case trimmer that has everything needed to trim at least the following accurately without breaking the bank(sub-$100):

.223 Remington
    .30-06
    .30 carbine
    .303 British
    .308 Winchester
    45ACP

Thanks!
    Forrester.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    The OP is looking for a trimmer that will work on a lot of calibers for less that $100. Most of the great trimmers that you guys are recommending don't fit these criteria.The WFT is $65 per cartridge family, The Kwick Trimmer is $26 per cartridge. They both trim off the case shoulder, and I don't think that will work for the .30 Carbine or the .45ACP.
    For most purposes the table tops such as Forster, Hornady or Lyman will work fine. The ones that accept a drill for power save a lot of muscle cramping, and the short throw universal chuck/shell holder models(like the Lyman or Hornady) make the process quicker and smoother. Even the Lee Zip Trim is very handy as long as you are not doing 1000's.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you shoot any volume, save your money and buy a power trimmer. Hand crank trimmers get to be a pain in the hand literally in a short time.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    If you choose a Wilson or Forster check ebay. There are always losts of them and the prices are not bad.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you shoot any volume, save your money and buy a power trimmer. Hand crank trimmers get to be a pain in the hand literally in a short time.

This. Any more than 20 and you'll wish you had bought a power trimmer. I trimmed 400 6.8 SPC cases, it took me a week to get through them with my Hornady trimmer.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

.223 Remington
    .30-06
    .30 carbine
    .303 British
    .308 Winchester
    45ACP

Thanks!

There's another thread in this section that covers this same topic.
    (Sorry.... too lazy to look it up for you. Almost my bedtime!)
    I've used a LOT of different trimmers over the years.

I've loaded .45 acp for over 30 years, and I've NEVER had to trim a .45 acp case!!!

For the .223, .308, and .30-'06, Little Crow Gunworks "WFT" (World's Finest Trimmer) definitely gets the nod!!!
    They are case/caliber specific, so, right there, you're buying 3 trimmers.

For a rather inexpensive, but effective trimmer, look at the Lee "Zip Trim".
    This trimmer is about $20.00 and then you buy a pilot/shellholder 'kit' and a cutter.
    I bought the one with the 'ball' handle.

This is one dandy little trimmer for the $$$.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Thanks guys I can up my budget a bit if needed. I don't know how much effort it takes to use a manual case trimmer, so I guess if it's that bad I'd be in for a power trimmer. Still trying to find something that can accomodate all my calibers in one go.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    How many cases will you trim and how frequently? For the average shooter it is hard to justify a high end trimmer, but if you are shooting frequently, then it makes more sense.

The Forster for about a hundred bucks will do what you need if you get it in the kit form with the basic pilots and 3 collets. You can add a power adapter if you wanna speed it up a bit, but it takes me an average of about 6secs a round to do em by hand and I have trimmed thousands of rounds in the past year or so doing them by hand. An hour here, an hour there in the evening and the cases get trimmed pretty quickly.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/find?sortb...&newcategorydimensionid=11885&searchscope=all

You can also set it up to ream, inside or outside neck turning and remove primer crimps, though that I do differently... ;)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Thanks guys I can up my budget a bit if needed. I don't know how much effort it takes to use a manual case trimmer, so I guess if it's that bad I'd be in for a power trimmer. Still trying to find something that can accomodate all my calibers in one go.

For an 'all-in-one' trimmer, the Lyman Universal Trimmer is good, but, you'll need a dial caliper or digital caliper to set-up the trimmer for each caliber.
    They do have an adapter that allows you to use a drill (some call it a drill motor) to 'speed' things along.

I have an older Lyman Drill Press Adapter kit that bolts to the drillpress table, and the cutter chucks into the machine.
    That is fast!
    (I've left this one set-up to trim .223 and 7mm TC/u at 1.750".)

For fast changes to/from one caliber to another, you can't beat the Lee Zip Trim. You can get the trimmer and several pilot/shellholders for less than $75.00.

Midway USA carries them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/515804/lee-zip-trim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom