• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I'm looking for an affordable .357 single action revolver, other than Ruger's fine pistols what are my options? I would like to stay under the $500 mark.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Uberti, Beretta, Taurus.............EAA

I would just lurke around gunbroker until I found something in your price range, I see alot of good rugers and even colts go at very fair prices comparable to a new generic.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have a Heritage .22 and like the product would like to know more about there large bore models. The Uberti and Taylor's products are contenders.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a Heritage .22 and like the product would like to know more about there large bore models. The Uberti and Taylor's products are contenders.

I have looked at a couple of the Heritage guns and they seem nice, may even pick one up in .22. However, for some reason their larger calibers make me nervous I dont know why, but keep in mind I shoot some pretty hot loads which most of these generics dont like (e.g., Ruger only .45 LCs) on cowboy loads they are all probably ok as long as the timing holds.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Ruger's are the top of the heap. If I were only going to have one, it would be a Blackhawk.

Sorry, I know you said "other than Ruger", but that's my best bet.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is a good reason most people that look at the Rugers pretty much ignore everything else, they are simply the best single actions for the money. They have numerous improvements over the Colt design making them much stronger, and more user friendly, have convertable models available(45ACP/45colt, 357mag/9mm) they also have good availability and great customer service, a tough combination to beat.

Second place probably goes to the Beretta stampedes and Uberti/Cimmaron, well made and decent copies of the Colts, they are well finished on the outside, pretty smooth on the inside, although could be a little better. They have a number of models that are more faithful to what was around in the old west, and are not a "modern improved interpretation" of them like the Rugers. They are harder to find than Rugers, and customer service/repair/warranty availability is average on the Berettas, fair to poor on the Ubertis.

The Taurus Gauchos(discontinued) and Heritage rough riders range from cheap to crap. Where Ruger changed the Colt SAA design vy improving it's reliability, durability, and ease of use, these budget guns changed the design to make them as cheap as possible, timing problems, poor parts fitment, crappy parts, rough machining, poor quality control, uneven and rough finishes, the Taurus is better than the Heritage revolvers, but that isn't saying much.

USFA and Colt are premium single actions, and more than double your price range, great guns, well fit and goregous bone case hardening and deep polished blue finishes, with the USFA revolvers having a host of options available, although the actiona are pretty much the original design, and have the inherent problems with spring breakage, not a big deal if you keep a few spares, I have no idea how their customer service is.

There are a few re-enactors, NCOWS and CASS members that know their single actions better than I, these are pretty much my opinins on what I have come across and fired, and owning Rugers and Ubertis, ask GNLaFrance, he knws his stuff about single actions, and might have a few pointers for you on what to get. Your budget is workable if you can find a good deal on a new gun, or a good condition used gun.

Last edited:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The first question we should have asked is, "What do you want to do with it?" If it's for plinking, then just about anything in your price range will do, because reliability isn't a major factor. If it's for home defense, then reliability is paramount and the Ruger Blackhawk is hands-down the best choice. If it's for Western Action Shooting, then whatever the rules permit is okay, but keep in mind that staying within the boundaries of "period correctness" means getting something that markedly resembles a revolver from the period 1866 to 1899, and the Rugers don't do that. SASS allows just about any Ruger single action, but outfits like NCOWS only allow the Vaquero, and that's only because it was 'grandfathered' into the rules.

So, for what do you want this .357 Magnum single action revolver?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What LaFrance said. Comes down to do you want specifically match the exact porportions of a period SAA, or would you like the capability of using hot handloads, even though less of an issue in .357 than .45 .Are you looking to seriously imerse your self in CAS, or primarily an all around shooter?
    For an all around gun , the BlackHawk is both the best, and the best value. The Gun currently known as EAA Bounty Hunter actually has 40yr + history in this country. Made by J.P. Sauer , has been imported under several names, most famously by Hawes. It is slightly larger/ heavier than SAA, but is also stronger (same frame size offered in .44 Mag)
    Most everything else worth looking at in your price range is actually made by Uberti, with a few Armi San Marcos floating around. Imported under their own name, and by more Importer names than can count. The higher end Ubertis excede Colt quality. But the low to low middle end ones in your $ range will either be less pretty to drab, or "kinda average" smoothness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom