• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    One of the speakers today mentioned introducing a reciprosity Bill recently.

Please refresh me whom , and if possable the Bill number.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I think it was jointly sponsored by Senator Walls & Delegate Ray?

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Opps , my bad , I meant in Md.

Yes, there are Bills federally that deal with "Reciprosity" , but it is totally different dynamic at state and federal levels.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    So does this mean all the MD citizens could just get a Utah permit and then we are good to go?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The bill's text would make it seem that way. Having said that, Utah may treat this state differently. I can't remember exactly and someone who remembers better can chime in, but could this invalidate Utah non-res permits held by Marylanders?

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    The bill's text would make it seem that way. Having said that, Utah may treat this state differently. I can't remember exactly and someone who remembers better can chime in, but could this invalidate Utah non-res permits held by Marylanders?

I believe that if you live in a Shall Issue state you must have your state's permit to get the Utah permit. If Maryland remained May Issue but recognized other state's permits then yes a Utah permit would suffice. Not a chance that would fly in MD given the current make up of the legislature.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I believe that if you live in a Shall Issue state you must have your state's permit to get the Utah permit. If Maryland remained May Issue but recognized other state's permits then yes a Utah permit would suffice. Not a chance that would fly in MD given the current make up of the legislature.

Sneaking something like this in, is the best chance. Serve them their own pass the bill to see what is in it..

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    If you live in a state that *Recognizes* the Utah permit , Shall Issue or not, you must have your home state permit to get a Utah Non-resident Permit. Not sure if it would imeadately invalidate your Utah, but you definately could NOT get a new one OR renew an existing one.

This would be an Excellent Bill , for the next MGA Session following the SCOTUS forcing Shall Issue upon Md , but premature before Marylander get their own rights restored.

I get the idea of having thousands of non-residents visit Md while packing heat and having a lack of blood running in the streets *could* be an argument to persuade the MGA to reform Md's Permit scheme of their own accord , w/o outside mandate, just because it's the right thing to do. (Not holding breath). But the relative numbers of current Marylanders getting throw under the bus wouldn't pass my personal juice/ squeeze ratio to hopefully make out of state carry easier for the current handfull of the previdledged ones.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    If you live in a state that *Recognizes* the Utah permit , Shall Issue or not, you must have your home state permit to get a Utah Non-resident Permit. Not sure if it would imeadately invalidate your Utah, but you definately could NOT get a new one OR renew an existing one.

This would be an Excellent Bill , for the next MGA Session following the SCOTUS forcing Shall Issue upon Md , but premature before Marylander get their own rights restored.

I get the idea of having thousands of non-residents visit Md while packing heat and having a lack of blood running in the streets *could* be an argument to persuade the MGA to reform Md's Permit scheme of their own accord , w/o outside mandate, just because it's the right thing to do. (Not holding breath). But the relative numbers of current Marylanders getting throw under the bus wouldn't pass my personal juice/ squeeze ratio to hopefully make out of state carry easier for the current handfull of the previdledged ones.

Knew it was something along those lines "recognizes" is a way different situation so thanks for clearing up my mistake. Either way I don't think there is a snowball's chance that MD would pass reciprocity.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD recognizes no other state's permits. Until they recognize UT, UT would still issue you a permit.

It's recognition that determines if UT will issue,, not just if you can get a home state permit.

The question is would this bill be the equivalent of "recognition" without an agreement or statute specifically recognizing UT. As noted it may well be.

From UT BCI:

• Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
    ETA- you could still carry on a FL, VA or other state's NR permit however.
    IANAL

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Plenty of other permits we can get though if Utah becomes unavailable.

Thanks for the brain-scratching, all!

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Best we can hope for is MD will recognize out of state permits but residents will still have to have a MD permit to CC in MD. No way they will let that one go. So MD residents will still not be able to carry no matter what out of state permits we hold.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The way the proposed bill is written would allow MD residents to carry on any permit. So we have to see where it goes. The federal national reciprocity bill would mandate only that states recognize other states permits. If that passes then we couldn't carry in MD.

Let's see what happens.

ETA-bill attached.

E4 5lr1991
    CF 5lr1993
    By: Senators Waugh, Astle, Bates, Cassilly, Eckardt, Edwards, Hershey, Hough,
    Klausmeier, Montgomery, Norman, Ready, Reilly, Salling, Serafini, and
    Simonaire
    Introduced and read first time: February 6, 2015
    Assigned to: Judicial Proceedings

A BILL ENTITLED

AN ACT concerning 1

Handgun Permits – Reciprocity 2

FOR the purpose of specifying that a permit issued by another state to an individual to 3
    carry a handgun, including a concealed handgun, is valid in Maryland; and generally 4
    relating to handgun permits. 5

BY repealing and reenacting, without amendments, 6
    Article – Public Safety 7
    Section 5–303 8
    Annotated Code of Maryland 9
    (2011 Replacement Volume and 2014 Supplement) 10

BY adding to 11
    Article – Public Safety 12
    Section 5–303.1 13
    Annotated Code of Maryland 14
    (2011 Replacement Volume and 2014 Supplement) 15

SECTION 1. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF MARYLAND, 16
    That the Laws of Maryland read as follows:

Attachments

• sb0454F.pdf
      79.2 KB · Views: 126
    Feb 2, 2015
    Anyone have a quick copy/paste in order to send an email to the legislators in MD? I have family in PA so I'd love for the state of MD to be able to recognize my permit from WV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom