• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From Gary Slider at handgunllaw.us
    Info on New Mexico, Idaho, Illinois, Mississippi and Arkansas.
    New Mexico has signed an agreement with Idaho. NM will honor the “Enhanced Permit” issued by ID. ID just started issuing an Enhanced Permit for the specific reason that more states would honor their enhanced permit. It takes additional training to obtain the Idaho Enhanced Permit but the cost is the same. Handgunlaw.us would appreciate an image of the new Enhanced Permit to add to the ID Page.

Illinois is now a “Shall Issue” state. There are numerous places off limits. Other than being Shall Issue they do allow you to store your firearm in your vehicle in most places that are off limits. They also have a safe journey section. If you have a permit/license to carry from your state of residence you can keep your concealed firearm on your hip while travelling through Illinois. You must unload it before exiting the vehicle.

Mississippi is a mess with a Hines Co. Judge putting a stay on their new Open Carry law. The AG has weighted in saying he didn’t believe it affected the whole state but would not put it in writing. Some Counties are allowing Open Carry even with the stay. The AG stated he would ask the Mississippi Supreme Court to settle the question. Again it is a mess.

Arkansas amended their firearm laws that take effect August 16. They gave a definition to the term, “Journey.” It states a Journey is outside the county you reside in. Some are stating it gives Arkansas Constitutional Carry and other stating Open Carry is legal. The AG has issued an opinion stating that Open Carry is still illegal. Another mess that will take the courts months to figure out. Handgunlaw.us recommends you don’t open carry or conceal carry without a valid permit/license to carry until this mess is straightened out. Starting Aug. 16 AR will honor all other states permit/licenses.

What to thank all who assisted me with Arkansas, Mississippi and especially Illinois with their new law. Your assistance is very much appreciated. www.Handgunlaw.us has been updated to show the changes in states laws that are in effect as of today. Others will be updated when their laws take effect.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Interesting times.

I read somewhere that Arizona (already Constitutional carry), just recently changed their knife laws as well. My understanding is that actual possession of a knife (any knife, concealed or not) is not a crime - just like their gun laws. It's what a person actually does with a gun, knife, baseball bat, whatever that matters. If this is true; my hat is off yet again to Arizona.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    um, why doesn't this look right? "If you have a permit/license to carry from your state of residence you can keep your concealed firearm on your hip while travelling through Illinois. You must unload it before exiting the vehicle. "? i think I would want to carry a really heavy, long-handled hammer on a tool belt.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ok, a quick google-fu found this:
    http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03102.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

AZ law. Apparently it's true, and it happened over a year ago. Very interesting. Here's someone from BladeForums discussing it:

12-04-2012, 07:44 AM #2 glistam
    Arizona laws actually have changed in the past 2-3 years. And the change was good. If you are 21 and over all knives are legal period. No limits, no restrictions on type, anything can be concealed. You can even carry a gun or a full sized katana and it's all nice and legal. Furthermore, the new laws overrides ("preempts") all local laws.

Only regulation is that, if a cop asks you if you have any weapons, you have to declare you're carrying and what.

Official source, see for yourself:
    http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...13&DocType=ARS

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    Woodstock, You can't carry it even unloaded outside your vehicle. I made an amended post to the one quoted above. It is below

I caught some flack for my post, and rightly so, as I didn’t explain Car Carry for non residents of IL with a permit/License from their state of residence. I apologize for not explaining it completely. I was more interested in letting people know they could not exit the vehicle with a loaded firearm. Here is the complete law.
    Section 40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Subsection (b) of Section 65 States:
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle'strunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

So you have to store it if you leave your vehicle.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Also, remember that Marylanders with UT, FL, whichever (other than a MD) permit are not afforded the same protections as someone from another state who can reasonably attain a permit from their home state.

Yes, there appear to be some small benefits to us, but by and large it looks like we're still not ready to act as free citizens in IL.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Interesting times.

I read somewhere that Arizona (already Constitutional carry), just recently changed their knife laws as well. My understanding is that actual possession of a knife (any knife, concealed or not) is not a crime - just like their gun laws. It's what a person actually does with a gun, knife, baseball bat, whatever that matters. If this is true; my hat is off yet again to Arizona.

THAT is both reasonable and common sense.

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    That is why I put from your State of Residence. The way IL law is written it sounds like you have to have a permit/license from your home state for Vehicle carry in IL. Looks like that will cut out people from the really restrictive states. I am also looking forward to what they say as the law doesn't state a permit/license but that they can legally carry a firearm in their home state. VT residents can without any type of permit/license. Then AZ and AK have constitutional carry and WY lets its residents carry without a permit/license. So it will be interesting to watch how all of this plays out. The IL State Police should address those issue, at least I hope they do, when they write the Admin Rules on how they are going to administer their new permit system and put out a more comprehensive list of FAQs.

As for AZ and knife laws. They did preempt all local knife laws. Handgunlaw.us has knife laws. I only stated them for Folder type knives as that is the type of knife most people carry who carry a firearm. It is tough enough to keep up with the firearm laws and knife laws are even more ridiculous. You can view that here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    That is why I put from your State of Residence. The way IL law is written it sounds like you have to have a permit/license from your home state for Vehicle carry in IL. Looks like that will cut out people from the really restrictive states. I am also looking forward to what they say as the law doesn't state a permit/license but that they can legally carry a firearm in their home state. VT residents can without any type of permit/license. Then AZ and AK have constitutional carry and WY lets its residents carry without a permit/license. So it will be interesting to watch how all of this plays out. The IL State Police should address those issue, at least I hope they do, when they write the Admin Rules on how they are going to administer their new permit system and put out a more comprehensive list of FAQs.

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence

The way I read it, a "home state" permit isn't necessarily required. For example, an OH resident can carry in OH with a non-OH permit. So an OH resident should be legal for car carry thru IL with a UT permit. A VT resident is allowed in VT without any permit...so that too should should allow them to car carry in IL.

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    Like I stated we will have to see how this plays out. The ISP will write Administrative Rules on how they will implement the law and how they believe it will be enforced. Administrative Rules then will be OK'ed and have the force of law. There are a lot of ifs when it comes to how they read the Non Resident Travel and how it will work. I don't see Illinois listing all the states that will let a resident carry in their home state with a permit/license from another state then that state would have to honor that other states permit/license. That list would be long and I can tell you how hard it is to keep it all straight. Again we will just have to wait and see what the ISP states.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    The way I read it, a "home state" permit isn't necessarily required. For example, an OH resident can carry in OH with a non-OH permit. So an OH resident should be legal for car carry thru IL with a UT permit. A VT resident is allowed in VT without any permit...so that too should should allow them to car carry in IL.

As I'm reading it (IANALBALS), a MD resident, let's say on a UT permit, may POSSESS within IL, but it better be cased (a la FOPA) while traveling. In, say, a Hotel room, you're OK.

VERY limited at this point.

But, as Gary says... we have to see how it plays out.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    As I'm reading it (IANALBALS), a MD resident, let's say on a UT permit, may POSSESS within IL, but it better be cased (a la FOPA) while traveling.
    You could always get IL's $300 non-resident permit :lol2:

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    WV is working on about 10 other states. Their law changed and all the other state has to do is just honor WV now. No more laws equal or similar. Law changed earlier this month.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Interesting times.

I believe Jan signed it last year. Any knife any size can be carried any way you please as long as you are lawful. My EDC is a 4"switchblade, its right next to my glock on my belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom