• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Not sure if this belongs here under "General shooting products", or under Training and Safety.

Federal safety regulators are recalling tens of thousands of gun safes after they say a child died accessing a firearm inside of one.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Fortress Safe, the recall involves about 61,000 biometric gun safes because of a safety hazard and risk of death caused by a programming feature that, in more than three dozen instances, allowed unauthorized access to the safes.

Consumers can believe they have properly programmed the biometric feature when in fact the safe remains in the default to open mode, which can allow unauthorized users, including children, to access the safe to remove hazardous contents, including firearms.
    CPSC is aware of a recent lawsuit alleging a 12-year-old boy died from a firearm obtained from one of these safes. There have been 39 incidents of consumers reporting that their safes have been accessed by unpaired fingerprints.

Consumers should immediately stop using the biometric feature, remove the batteries from the safe, and only use the key for the recalled safes being used to store firearms. Contact Fortress Safes to receive instructions on disabling the biometric feature and to receive a free replacement safe.

The recalled gun safes are portable lock boxes, personal safes, pistol vaults, and gun cabinets with brand names Fortress, Cabela’s, Gettysburg, and Legend Range & Field. Model numbers can be found above the barcode on a label located on the back of the safe and on the top right corner of the original packaging.

The recalled safes were sold at Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, Scheel’s, Sportsman’s Guide, Optics Planet, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Gander, Rural King, Lowe’s and other stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com and Ebay.com from January 2019 through October 2023 for between $44 and $290.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I would never trust one of these things from the start

I have 3 of the Sentry biometric safes, have had them for years. They open with the correct fingerprint (once in 10-20 times I have to swipe a second time), and I have never been able to get one to open with a non-programmed finger.

I would not trust them all equally without personally testing them. The sensor is only as good as the detection algorithm in the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom