• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Garrett County is as far west as you can get in Maryland. If I had it to do again I'd have added another 17 miles and reside in West Virginia. I'm here to stay so it is what it is.

There are challenges living in Garrett Co:
    • In the winter there's plenty of cold, snow and ice. There are many visiting "ski" Tourons unfamiliar with the area and weather who clog and litter our roads. Typically they complain about the cold, but they come. And they bring many $'s to our economy.
    • In the spring, golfers abound. There are several nice courses. They're a different group. Usually they're older, more educated and much more in tune.
    • Summer brings the boaters. That's a mixed bag of folks who know what they're doing on the lake and others who. well, shouldn't be.
    • When fall arrives, Autumn Glory is spectacular. It's a beautiful time. Many folks who have never seen it don't know what they're missing.

With that said, those of us who live in Garrett year round are thankful we do. We experience the ongoing cycle of season changes and try to anticipate what tomorrow and next week will bring us. Like today, getting snow in late April, is not unusual.

Reasons to live here?

• Making lifelong friends with great people who also live here and share our values is on top of my list. How many "Hooligan" shoot threads have been posted here? Those folks are my friends!
    • Snow? It's pretty cool at first. In fact many of us look forward to it when fall is over. We deal with it better here than anywhere else in Maryland. Give it time...it melts.
    • Spring? We may be behind the flat lands with our greenery, but sunsets like the pic below remind us another season is upon us.
    • And summer? Once again it's just around the corner.
      :thumbsup:

One other small, but important, point. Out here in Garrett Co...we got the high ground... :innocent0

Garrett is a great place to live. Come and enjoy it!

:)

Attachments

• DSC03842.jpg
      DSC03842.jpg
      114.9 KB · Views: 446

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Its a slower paced life, that's for sure.

Grew up in Garrett County. In some ways I miss the slower life and less traffic and in some ways having more convenience and employment opportunities are better.

And yes, I knew spring hadn't arrived until that last snow in April.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I have friends that live out that way,I'll agree its beautiful but the only problem is...its still marylandistan.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    Some of the things I enjoy about living in Garrett County are being able to hear birds and/ or crickets and not traffic and sirens.

Sitting in the hot tub on clear nights and seeing vast amounts of stars.

Jumping on the bike and enjoying some of the most scenic back road riding on the east coast.

Going hunting in the fall without ever getting into a vehicle to drive to a hunting spot

Campfires in the evening.

Floating on a tube in the pond in complete silence on hot summer afternoons

ZERO traffic on my 46 mile commute through Garrett County.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It was always a huge culture shock coming home from Garrett after a week of deer hunting. Right where I-68 and I-70 meet was the beginning of a rude awakening that it was time to get back to the rat race. I loved the pace, as others here have said, of Garrett County.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    I have a Robin's nest in the Mt Laurel already sitting on Eggs--4 got it was there when leaving at 4 AM Momma came flying off of the Nest SCARED the S%$it out of me- doubt if it did her much good either

Jim

Ben

May 18, 2008
    Garrett County
    We have really good public schools in Garrett County that are mostly financed by those rich tax and spend liberals down east, as well as superb winter road maintenance. If we join WVa, we lose all that.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Before we moved to NC, I had said to my wife that I either wanted to move to Western MD or the Eastern Shore. The 95 corridor had beaten me down for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom