• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rfrazier202

Sep 20, 2013
    I don't think you have to tell the MSP when you change your address temporarily as a DC. I also don't believe that you have to indicate where your guns are located. If your an MD resident and have two properties, you can store them at either property. The MD DC status is not like an FFL 03 where you have to provide a change of address 30 days prior to changing locations where you will primarily do your collecting activities. Your guns can reside wherever you want them to. Just my two cents.

So, as long as my guns are in a property that has my name attached to it somehow I should be good?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    DC status has nothing to do with where you store your collection, or even if you have a collection.

DC Status is nothing more nor less than an exemption from the "One Gun a Month" rule. That's all it is.

Some years ago, the One Gun a Month law was passed. The objection was made that collectors might buy more than that. So a provision was made that anyone could be exempted from the law merely by asking for an exemption. That's all it is.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    DC status has nothing to do with where you store your collection, or even if you have a collection.

DC Status is nothing more nor less than an exemption from the "One Gun a Month" rule. That's all it is.

Some years ago, the One Gun a Month law was passed. The objection was made that collectors might buy more than that. So a provision was made that anyone could be exempted from the law merely by asking for an exemption. That's all it is.

There is another aspect to having DC. That is you can transport all or part of your collection.........for public or private exhibition.....

Maryland Annotated Code, Criminal Law, Title 4, Section 203

§ 4-203.

(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

You can read all the transport restrictions here:
    http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gcr/4-203.html

Kadath

Sep 30, 2013
    Applied today, not sure if I will ever need it, but from what I can tell there is no downside so....

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    While everyone is waiting for their HQL you may want to also apply for your Designated Collector if you don't already have it.

Maryland More Gun Collectors Than Any Other State!:D

stokes8718

Jun 1, 2013
    KI
    transporting with designated collectors

Has anyone actually transported for "private exhibition", been stopped and actually used that line and it worked or has there been a case to prove it is legit.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    6 ) So you don't have to be one of "those guys" endlessly posting thread after thread, post after post for the past 9 months, desperatly asking a thousand variations on, "when can I buy another gun!" "How does the 30 day rule work?" "Why didn't I just mail in that stupid paper three years ago???"

Best answer so far

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    I had my annual checkup at my doctor last week. As expected she asked if I had any firearms in the house. Instead of getting all irate and complaining about the infringement of my 2A rights, I simply stated " I'm a designated collector" No further questions were asked

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is another aspect to having DC. That is you can transport all or part of your collection.........for public or private exhibition.....

Maryland Annotated Code, Criminal Law, Title 4, Section 203

§ 4-203.

(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

You can read all the transport restrictions here:
    http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gcr/4-203.html

DC is not needed. Only that you are bona fide collector, DC is not mentioned.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    You're so old school. I have an electronic (scanned) copy on my iPhone. :)

Storing it only on the phone is so 2012. ;)

My copy is scanned and stored in the cloud (Dropbox), accessible from any internet access device (computer, phone, etc) as well as stored locally on the Android phone.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I had my annual checkup at my doctor last week. As expected she asked if I had any firearms in the house. Instead of getting all irate and complaining about the infringement of my 2A rights, I simply stated " I'm a designated collector" No further questions were asked

Did you ask her why she asked that question?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My DC received a workout for 3-4 months , worth every penny it cost :) . Alas now it will be neglected.

As to transporting , eternal Md firearms related discusion #12A is to compare and contrast the phrases "Bona fide Collector " and "Designated Collector Letter" .

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I would just like to thank the OP for this thread.
    I read it, completed the application, got it notarized and mailed it off.
    All in the same day. ;)

Jambone

Sep 15, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Storing it only on the phone is so 2012. ;)

My copy is scanned and stored in the cloud (Dropbox), accessible from any internet access device (computer, phone, etc) as well as stored locally on the Android phone.

Same here, but I'm not sure when I'll ever have to reference it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom