• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spec4

Expert Rifleman
    Sep 22, 2009
    Carroll County
    wanted to find out what people favor on here for deer hunting in Md woods. I'm leaning toward Realtree, but like MOBU more....

thoughts?

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    I used to use MOBU untill i got Realtree Hardwoods HD. I wont buy nothing else . Its amazing how well it blends. I have some bibs that are AP but the hardwoods HD just look so much better, well to me that is... Happy shopping

redoktober

it doesn't really matter...

Anything that breaks up your general human form will work, including the classic red hunter's plaid. We forget that human eyes and deer eyes are different. I've been using surplus flectarn for the past two years and have had deer walk right past me.

Just sit or stand very still.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I've used MOBU, as well as good old surplus woodland camo, and for deer, either seems to work. They only have one type of cone in their eyes (humans have 3 allowing us to see colors), which means they only see monochromatic, so I think anything that breaks up your outline is fine.

Just to be on the safe side, I always use my MOBU for turkeys, since they are so sensitive to movement, I feel better having better camo, but I honestly don't know if it would make any difference.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    +1 on redoctober. I try to keep things as generic as possible because. What is invisible in the spring will stand out like a sore one in the winter. Otherwise I guess you would'nt want your gun to clash with your shirt. If it looks cool and makes you feel better and enjoy it more pick your favorite.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Mossy Oak Breakyup is fine for early season when there is still plenty of green in the woods. After the leaves fall its Realtree Hardwoods AP for me. I'd like to try that Vertigo pattern though. That looks pretty interesting....

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I feel better having better camo, but I honestly don't know if it would make any difference.

From what I've read, one of the most important things to do is not launder in standard laundry detergent. This detergent has UV brighteners, which make you stand out like a Neon sign to deer. Detergents made for hunting purposes don't add these brighteners.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    From what I've read, one of the most important things to do is not launder in standard laundry detergent. This detergent has UV brighteners, which make you stand out like a Neon sign to deer. Detergents made for hunting purposes don't add these brighteners.

To add to this, I have been using hypoallergenic detergent from the local grocery stores. Claims no die or perfume. Hopefully, this has the same effect.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Anything that breaks up your general human form will work, including the classic red hunter's plaid. We forget that human eyes and deer eyes are different. I've been using surplus flectarn for the past two years and have had deer walk right past me.

Just sit or stand very still.

I tend to agree with the sentiment. The research that has been done on the vision on ungulates in the last few years has pretty much proven they are not fooled by conventional camo because of the vast differences in their eyesight. There has been some camo that was brought out specifically to break up the human outline in an ungulates eyes. The regular stuff is good for ducks, turkeys and paintball. Just remember that we see much differently than deer. It was said above the deer can see a much greater spectrum of UV as well. An important point.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    ASAT for me, but of the two you asked about, Realtree AP. Mossy Oak Blob-Up is just too dark. I can see other hunters from far away when they're wearing it. AP has some open spaces and breaks you up well. The only other that I use instead of ASAT is Predator Deception, works pretty much as well.

MH

Cis-Lunar

Jun 27, 2008
    i use realtree ap for just about everything from the stand to a ground blind to the goose blind

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    To add to this, I have been using hypoallergenic detergent from the local grocery stores. Claims no die or perfume. Hopefully, this has the same effect.

thats what i have been using for years..

as for style.. as long im comfortable and it fits.. im happy.. :D but mostly realtree for me.. one time i was hot while on the tree stand.. took off my jacket and only wearing a black thermal/underarmor.. deer still walked under me.. lol

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I love this debate. Just buy something camo.

I wear camo sweatpants and a camo t-shirt and I do own a camo jacket. My dad has never worn camo in his life, just blue jeans and my uncles always worn brown coveralls or blue jeans and none of us have ever had a problem with deer hunting. I laugh at anything bought with the name Scent-Lok on it, who cares what the smell is on the inside, it's the smell on the outside that matters. Cover scent is where's it all at, but, I love the guys who spend hundreds of dollars on Scent blocking clothing and then they smoke cigarettes on the way to the woods, they rub on the truck seat, that has who knows what on it, the cover themselves with ATV exhaust. If you set in a stand 15-20 feet off the ground you can be bone naked if you choose, deer don't tend to look up otherwise, they'd never walk "right under my stand", if you can set there like your supposed to, meaning, not smoking or texting or talking to baby doll on the damned phone, camo is just a "manly" investment.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I love this debate. Just buy something camo.

I wear camo sweatpants and a camo t-shirt and I do own a camo jacket. My dad has never worn camo in his life, just blue jeans and my uncles always worn brown coveralls or blue jeans and none of us have ever had a problem with deer hunting. I laugh at anything bought with the name Scent-Lok on it, who cares what the smell is on the inside, it's the smell on the outside that matters. Cover scent is where's it all at, but, I love the guys who spend hundreds of dollars on Scent blocking clothing and then they smoke cigarettes on the way to the woods, they rub on the truck seat, that has who knows what on it, the cover themselves with ATV exhaust. If you set in a stand 15-20 feet off the ground you can be bone naked if you choose, deer don't tend to look up otherwise, they'd never walk "right under my stand", if you can set there like your supposed to, meaning, not smoking or texting or talking to baby doll on the damned phone, camo is just a "manly" investment.

You must not hunt the same deer I do that look right up and bust me out frequently while in a tree. :sarcasm:

My question to you would be what caliber of deer are you shooting? Are you just hunting does or whatever walks out or trophy deer? I think to consistently harvest trophy deer every year or several a year brown coveralls just wont cut it. As for scent management, if you are serious about it your scent free clothes are put on just before going into the woods. You use unscented laundry detergent and use unscented soap/shampoo/deodorant. I completely agree with the smoking thing but I'm not sure if deer associate exhaust with danger the way they do with human scent.

I don't do any of this stuff as I'm not that serious but when your hunting the highest caliber of deer, the old smart ones extra preparation is necessary. All you have to do is look at the people who harvest these type of deer every year.

I think wind direction is the best most important tactic that you can use. If you use wind to your advantage all of the rest of this stuff becomes less important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom