• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    This is two requests in one.

I'm finding myself becoming more and more interested in the historical aspects of firearms. The more I learn, the more I want to experience it.

Is there someone who can introduce me to the nuances and skills of shooting black powder muzzleloaders? I own a Colt 1851 Navy cap-and-ball revolver that I've never fired and I'm thinking I'd like to learn how. I generally shoot indoors so I need to know of places in MD or VA that allow black powder guns and someone to teach me the basics. I'd prefer to learn from an experienced shooter rather than a book by trial-and-error.

In that vein, I've been learning more about Civil War and Revolutionary War re-enacting and I see that as a natural form of encouragement. The idea of doing fun muzzleloading competition through the NSSA in a historical context sounds like a lot of fun. 20 shots from an Enfield Rifle Musket have to be cheaper than a magazine from an AR-15. I think Union Blue or British Red would suit me. Anyone here involved with that and can give me some pointers or guidance towards getting involved?

Many thanks!

Matt

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    Matt, where are you located ? I am a member of a N-SSA team we are competing at a regional match this weekend at our range outside of Winchester Va. I do most of my practicing at delta gun club. If you would like we could get to gether and I would be happy to help with any question and show you how to use the revolver safely. You could try my musket and sharps to see if you like them.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

I'm finding myself becoming more and more interested in the historical aspects of firearms. The more I learn, the more I want to experience it.

Is there someone who can introduce me to the nuances and skills of shooting black powder muzzleloaders? I own a Colt 1851 Navy cap-and-ball revolver that I've never fired and I'm thinking I'd like to learn how. I generally shoot indoors so I need to know of places in MD or VA that allow black powder guns and someone to teach me the basics. I'd prefer to learn from an experienced shooter rather than a book by trial-and-error.

In that vein, I've been learning more about Civil War and Revolutionary War re-enacting and I see that as a natural form of encouragement. The idea of doing fun muzzleloading competition through the NSSA in a historical context sounds like a lot of fun. 20 shots from an Enfield Rifle Musket have to be cheaper than a magazine from an AR-15. I think Union Blue or British Red would suit me. Anyone here involved with that and can give me some pointers or guidance towards getting involved?

Many thanks!

Matt
    Education Course Information for Muzzleloading (DNR) Course :thumbsup:

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Matt, where are you located ? I am a member of a N-SSA team we are competing at a regional match this weekend at our range outside of Winchester Va. I do most of my practicing at delta gun club. If you would like we could get to gether and I would be happy to help with any question and show you how to use the revolver safely. You could try my musket and sharps to see if you like them.

I'm in Potomac, MD. By chance are you with the Washington Blue Rifles? I would love to try your stuff out. Send me a PM with the details.

Thanks!

Matt

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

Many thanks!

Matt

I don't mean to go off on a tangent but you would love it up here....New England was chock full of small gunsmiths since colonial days and our local gunshows are chock full of these antiques.....its absolutely fascinating looking at these old one off pieces of history.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.

Many thanks!

Matt

Matt,
    Sent you a PM about the group I'm with doing Rev. War/1812. I have an 1858 Remington and had some Colt 51 Navy's in the past.
    Best, Ted

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    They're available. I intermittently kick myself for selling my matchlock long gun, but I'm booked chock-a-block with pistol events. Including matchlock pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom