• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Took it out for the first time today. The gun is not much of a shooter. The ammo is just run of the mill surplus but the gun shot very high all day. So much that I held between four and six inches below my targets to even get them on the paper. Not too pleased

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Time to fit the rifle to the stock.

about half way down this page is how to fit the action to the stock for best accuracy (and also lets you know where to leave clearences).

It's listed under bedding a mauser action....

http://www.mausershooters.org/k98k/SC_tips2.html

phew, that is going to take some doing. Maybe not to some but to me, the Mauser action is a new beast. Thanks for the link, added to the list of things to do.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    It's a Russian capture Mauser so, chances are it will shoot high and is unlikely to be very accurate although some are--I think toolness had luck that way, but it will not be like a Swiss k31 or Finn m39 etc., in all likelihood. Not sure it is worth a major project in that regard. If you get it to look how you want and it hits paper at 50 or 100 yrs that's not so bad imho, though some may differ.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Took it out for the first time today. The gun is not much of a shooter. The ammo is just run of the mill surplus but the gun shot very high all day. So much that I held between four and six inches below my targets to even get them on the paper. Not too pleased

Do you reload? If so, consider trying oversized cast bullets, slug the bore to see what you get.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

what range do the sights go up to? 1000 yards or so? that was the type of combat ranges expected with battle rifles in the first half of the 20th century. point blank, under 100 yards, aim at the belt buckle and hit center of chest. add in rifles built off older rifles with even longer barrels but the same ladder sights and the problem is compounded.
    a common fix is to purchase an extra tall front sight blade, and file it down slowly until you get the 100 yard zero you are looking for. once you get that sorted, and the stock fitted correctly, then you can get a measure of its accuracy.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    what range do the sights go up to? 1000 yards or so? that was the type of combat ranges expected with battle rifles in the first half of the 20th century. point blank, under 100 yards, aim at the belt buckle and hit center of chest. add in rifles built off older rifles with even longer barrels but the same ladder sights and the problem is compounded.
    a common fix is to purchase an extra tall front sight blade, and file it down slowly until you get the 100 yard zero you are looking for. once you get that sorted, and the stock fitted correctly, then you can get a measure of its accuracy.
    Ahh that's not a bad idea actually!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Unfortunately I don't. I'm not too sure I know what you mean by slug bore?

You take a lead ball or soft lead bullet that is bigger than bore size, and ram it down the bore muzzle first with a wooden dowel, catch it in the chamber area with a rag or something stuffed in there to protect it. Then measure that. It will let you know if your bore is oversized (either from when it was made, or from being shot out).

If it is, it will be hard to get good accuracy with regular .323 sized bullets.

I use more along the lines of .325 in my RC K98 with cast bullets, although regular .323 stuff shoots fine in mine.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Also, cast bullet loads generally shoot low, so sometimes on one of these old milsurps that shoot WAY high (some of these rifles have a 300 yard zero), it will be right on, or much closer with cast loads.

Sometimes they will shoot so low, you have to raise the rear sight.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Also, cast bullet loads generally shoot low, so sometimes on one of these old milsurps that shoot WAY high (some of these rifles have a 300 yard zero), it will be right on, or much closer with cast loads.

Sometimes they will shoot so low, you have to raise the rear sight.
    Heck looks like I'm going to have to get into reloading to shoot this better later on. There were some cast rounds scattered in my milsurp I have and I didn't notice those shooting any better

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Call me a quitter but I am strongly debating trying to trade this gun and my 200+ rounds for a CZ American .22 lr

Edit: I'd probably add to that list a threaded 10/22

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom