• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They work off of movement, so it should pick them up
    Yeah, it’s looking at shorter wave lengths than thermal. Any movement should set it off. Basically PIR are looking at the very near to red wave lengths and just looking for intensity differences across different sectors of the sensor. If it exceeds the set threshold it “triggers” it. And it looks at relative values. That way changing light levels don’t set it off. But if one sector reflects 10% more light than another suddenly it will sort of thing. Different designs handle movement detection differently, it might have to “move” across several sectors before it triggers as motion.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Yeah I thought they were movement based. Dunno really but assuming motion detection, would the pretty durn stealthy movement of a snek even trigger it. Hence my "would a game cam work" quip.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I will take it.The mice are everywhere in our sheds.I can trap 1 or three,then the rest avoid the traps like the plague.
    I have been hesitant to use poison ,but might be my best option.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I will take it.The mice are everywhere in our sheds.I can trap 1 or three,then the rest avoid the traps like the plague.
    I have been hesitant to use poison ,but might be my best option.
    If serious, if you don't mind taking a bit of a drive, I am near Eldersburg. If I manage to catch the sucker, I am sure I can keep her in a 5 gallon bucket with some holes poked in the lid of the bucket for a day.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Thanks for the offer.If you were closer or in an area I traveled through ,I would take you up on it.

Maybe take it to Liberty and turn it loose?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the offer.If you were closer or in an area I traveled through ,I would take you up on it.

Maybe take it to Liberty and turn it loose?
    Potapsco state park is closer. I'd probably just let it lose near the river and call it a day.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I have had garter snakes, black snakes, worm snakes, rat snakes and a copper head snake around or in the house. I like all but the last. Rat snakes eat other snakes. They eat copper head snakes. You could find much worse than a rat snake in you coop.
    JB

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have been know to bring black snakes HOME and trow them under the coop. they don't bother the chickens and keep the mice out of my feed and grass seed (1/3 of the coop structure is a garden shed room),,

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Suggestions on deterring it/getting rid of it? Had my damn face down by the nesting box door this evening when I opened it expecting to find one of my ladies in it. Nope, a 6’ long 3” diameter rat snake with a big old egg in its gullet.

I barely managed to get it out with a hoe and before I could get it with a shovel and darted right back in to the coop/run. Told my wife to keep the flashlight on it and went to get my 38 and rat shot.

Back out 2 minutes later and of course she didn’t pay attention to it at all. So it was gone.

In reading, the chickens might keep it away during the day and I just need to make sure to get the eggs late afternoon and probably check about half an hour after they go to bed as it’s likely to come back at night and not during the day.

Any other thoughts?

hardware cloth - 1/4” square stuff. Tis only thing I’ve found that is fool proof. Of course, if they’re slithering right through same entrance the hens use, well, damn.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    doubt rat snakes can handle ground hogs, beyond maybe baby ones. Beyond that you can make that coop fort knox all it takes is one rodent to make a big enough hole that the snake can make it through. They are good climbers, snakes can flatten themselves pretty good to get under skinny themselves to get through, basically if their head can fit their body can fit so a hole as small as a 1/2" may be all tha tit needs, now after taking an egg it may need a few minutes to get back out the same hole. :lol2:

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    IMG_3823.jpg

Found this one on my driveway. Not sure what it’s eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member