• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Ft Meade has Range #9(300yds) on 10/16 and Range #1(600 yds) 0n 10/23. You'll have to become a member of the Ft Meade Rod and Gun Club and be in the NRA to shoot there. They also have some pistol range weekends mixed in 'til the end of the year.

It's only 1 mile from my house, so it's a no brainer for me. :)

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Here is Ft Meade's R&GC site.

I note Meade Club members can shoot at the AGC if they have a range badge, so I wrote to The Meade Club....

"Sirs;
    Since you have reciprocity with AGC, can members of other AGC clubs who have an AGC badge shoot at Ft. Meade?"
    Thanks

I'll let you know the reply.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    So, is it this necessary here in Md, to belong to some kind of a shooting club in order to use a quality shooting range?

Rifle, pretty much. Pistol, you have FreeState gun range where you can shoot .223 and 7.62x39(non-metallic). Awesome place, but you're limited to indoor pistol range distances: 25-30yds... Can't remember which.

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    Rifle, pretty much. Pistol, you have FreeState gun range where you can shoot .223 and 7.62x39(non-metallic). Awesome place, but you're limited to indoor pistol range distances: 25-30yds... Can't remember which.

Well thats a bunch of nonsense. In Arizona, shooting ranges are public facilities, and you can go to any one you want, including Ben Avery, without the need for any club affiliation. Otherwise you go find a patch of desert, and fire off whatever you want there.

Nothing against the clubs themselves, but Ive found that sometimes, The exclusiveness of a club can actually be counter-productive, to the preservation of our sport.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Well thats a bunch of nonsense. In Arizona, shooting ranges are public facilities, and you can go to any one you want, including Ben Avery, without the need for any club affiliation. Otherwise you go find a patch of desert, and fire off whatever you want there.

Nothing against the clubs themselves, but Ive found that sometimes, The exclusiveness of a club can actually be counter-productive, to the preservation of our sport.

Yep, I hear you. One day I just googled ranges in Maryland and thought I could just 'walk-on' to Berwyn. It took me over a month and several hundred dollars to be voted on by over a hundred strangers to allow me to join. Today they are at or reaching capacity, probably no new members without something like AAFG style scrutiny.

If you find a patch of desert here in Maryland with no body for miles around, please PM me. :)

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland

I don't make the rules... Just the way it is out here. Trust me, I'd love to be able to head out and shoot "distance" whenever I wanted to. Can't.

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    Yep, I hear you. One day I just googled ranges in Maryland and thought I could just 'walk-on' to Berwyn. It took me over a month and several hundred dollars to be voted on by over a hundred strangers to allow me to join. Today they are at or reaching capacity, probably no new members without something like AAFG style scrutiny.

If you find a patch of desert here in Maryland with no body for miles around, please PM me. :)

Thats nonsense. Do you guys realize that these clubs run you through more of a background check/approval process to use their facilities, than the government does for you to purchase and own a firearm?

Strange how folks here seem to value their right to freely own and carry, but not their right to freely shoot.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thats nonsense. Do you guys realize that these clubs run you through more of a background check/approval process to use their facilities, than the government does for you to purchase and own a firearm?

Strange how folks here seem to value their right to freely own and carry, but not their right to freely shoot.

I agree that it can be frustrating and Maryland is by far the most restrictive State that I have ever lived in (the US) with regard to gun laws and various arbitrary and capricious restrictions.

Over the last couple+ years and getting to know the folks at 'my' local range, and having experience with purchasing a firearm in Maryland, and a few other things; the police do a much better job of checking the background of persons buying guns or getting various gun related permits than most 'gun clubs'. I don't feel in any way that my local gun club did anything to infringe my rights, in fact, with the reality in this state, they initially needed our money just to stay viable and ensure their existence. Whether this is still true today is a matter of some private club-house debate. :)

If you want to shoot and shoot often in Maryland, it's in your best interest to learn about the clubs nearest you and support one of them.

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    I agree that it can be frustrating and Maryland is by far the most restrictive State that I have ever lived in (the US) with regard to gun laws and various arbitrary and capricious restrictions.

Over the last couple+ years and getting to know the folks at 'my' local range, and having experience with purchasing a firearm in Maryland, and a few other things; the police do a much better job of checking the background of persons buying guns or getting various gun related permits than most 'gun clubs'. I don't feel in any way that my local gun club did anything to infringe my rights, in fact, with the reality in this state, they initially needed our money just to stay viable and ensure their existence. Whether this is still true today is a matter of some private club-house debate. :)

If you want to shoot and shoot often in Maryland, it's in your best interest to learn about the clubs nearest you and support one of them.

I suppose it would depend on the club themselves. But when this approval process consists of not just criminal checks, but also credit checks, character reference, member vote, mandatory meetings, required volutneer work time, self testimony, etc. It begins to sound more like a private fraternity to me, and that is certainly not kind of freedom our founding fathers had in mind.

Im not seeing how the membership of a shooting club, should take precedence of an individual's 2A right to use their wonderful facilities.

Or perhaps Im just a little old fashioned. But of course, when its an issue of private property, then none of that really applies anyway. A man just has to reconcile with himself as to, what side of that fence does he really wants to be on.

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    I gotta scratch my head though, when I see a young man be turned away from a shooting range because he is not a member of their club.

That just doesnt sit right with me, and Im a little surprised that folks here are ok with that.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    So, is it this necessary here in Md, to belong to some kind of a shooting club in order to use a quality shooting range?

No, not at all. The convenience depends where you live, but neither Hap Baker (or any of the other DNR ranges) or DelMarVa out by Salisbury have required memberships.

I gotta scratch my head though, when I see a young man be turned away from a shooting range because he is not a member of their club.

That just doesnt sit right with me, and Im a little surprised that folks here are ok with that.

Not ok with it,but have to deal with it.Years ago a majority of Md. was rural (still alot left) and you knew the landowners/farmers all around (mostly).A handshake and some labor got you the right to use the property (hunt,fish,target shoot,etc.).Things change,it sucks more for the people that grew up here than for the one's who moved here,because we HAD to change with it.

I understand what you're saying and agree.You just happened to move from one extreme to the other instantely,so it's more of a shock to you.:)

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak

Look around my friend, From DC to Philly it is wall to wall with houses. I have sent time in Arizona and it is a wonderful state but it was vast areas of open land.

My club has within the last few years spent some were around 3 million dollars to buy up the properties that boarders our range to protect our range from noise complaints. 90 acres in Baltimore County in today's market is still a lot of money. So you have a problem spending $200.00 a year to shoot? Why don't you buy your own 90 acres in this area and let us know how long you can shoot before the neighbors shut you down.

And yes I have leased properties to shoot on but but have run into legal issue in doing so. I even had a good friend buy 20 acres for around $300K 15 years ago to shoot on but the neighbors had the county laws changed to prevent us from doing the type shooting we were doing.

So does $200 a year sound like a far price to shoot?

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    Look around my friend, From DC to Philly it is wall to wall with houses. I have sent time in Arizona and it is a wonderful state but it was vast areas of open land.

My club has within the last few years spent some were around 3 million dollars to buy up the properties that boarders our range to protect our range from noise complaints. 90 acres in Baltimore County in today's market is still a lot of money. So you have a problem spending $200.00 a year to shoot? Why don't you buy your own 90 acres in this area and let us know how long you can shoot before the neighbors shut you down.

And yes I have leased properties to shoot on but but have run into legal issue in doing so. I even had a good friend buy 20 acres for around $300K 15 years ago to shoot on but the neighbors had the county laws changed to prevent us from doing the type shooting we were doing.

So does $200 a year sound like a far price to shoot?

Hmmm, I suppose I see what you mean by that. I have noticed that Maryland statutes are also pretty strict for shooting ranges as well, requiring certifications and govt inspections in order stay open and legal. I can see how the shooting clubs can help prevent the govt from over-stepping their bounds on that.

But dont get me wrong, its not exactly the money that bothers me, and $200 is indeed a fair price, but I still prefer to pay at the door, rather than flat yearly rate, lest I pay for time that I dont use.

But no, Im not bothered by the money. I bothered by the selection processes. The only requirement needed to use a range, is firearm, and the desire to shoot. Perhaps if the clubs opened to thsoe standards, they may get more members who in turn pay them more money for the protection and upkeep of their property.

This is why I say it can be counter productive. While the clubs certainly improve on the quality of the experience, they do so at the cost of restricting membership opportunities. Sometimes with invasive requirements (ie. more background checks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom