• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    I'm looking for a rangefinder to take bow hunting with me this season. Any suggestions? Trying not to break the bank with this purchase

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    That looks nice. I love Leopold scopes. I was looking more for a little less
    expensive one since most of my bow shots will be short distances.

I can understand that. I use the rangefinder for rifles too. Despite having one, I still make it a point to target practice from my tree stand to make sure I can make the shots.

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

Cis-Lunar

Jun 27, 2008
    Range it all around you first so you dont get busted lifting that rangefinder up:D I think i use a nikon. Im not sure. Ive used several. They all pretty much work. That leupold will prob last longer and the glass is nicer to look through. Dont go too cheap though it will fog up and get all banged up after a year

nosdog2

Jan 9, 2013
    I have the Wildgame Innovations rangerfinder; cheap and works. The only problem I have for it is battery life and it doesn't work though ground blind netting. But perfect for archery and the battery will last the whole season.

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    I have the Wildgame Innovations rangerfinder; cheap and works. The only problem I have for it is battery life and it doesn't work though ground blind netting. But perfect for archery and the battery will last the whole season.

Good to know. I was actually thinking about that one. How does it work with angle compensation from a tree stand?

nosdog2

Jan 9, 2013
    Good to know. I was actually thinking about that one. How does it work with angle compensation from a tree stand?

I have the one without the angle compensation and have never noticed a difference with the lack of it, imo it doesn't make a difference with modern bow speeds and typically short shot distance when bow-hunting. I also tend to sight in/practice from an elevated position before the season to get comfortable shooting as I would hunt.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have a Simmons from Bass Pro, seems pretty accurate around the neighborhood. I think it was $140-150 last spring. I plan on taking it this fall for the first time.

BJEOD33

Apr 10, 2013
    Aberdeen
    I have the nikon pro staff 3 in my bow gear. It is really really accurate, can be used in meters or yards. I picked mine up at the PX for 145 i think, but Ive seen them at bass pro and cabela for around the same price. I think its a solid one to have.

I also agree with ranging terrain features from your stand or blind before game arrives. Its the same thing that is done from a guard tower in Afghanistan, a card is made and taped down so that all major landmarks are known distance.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have a buschnell 450 I think...you don't need a 1000yd range finder for 20-50yd bow shots ;) some have an automatic angle adjustment which is nice if you are hunting out of a climber or treestand

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    I have a buschnell 450 I think...you don't need a 1000yd range finder for 20-50yd bow shots ;) some have an automatic angle adjustment which is nice if you are hunting out of a climber or treestand

I have a older 450 as well does just fine for archery....

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have a Bushnell 1000 Scout with ARC. It works for both bow and rifle. I love it. Got it from Amazon for a price near that of a 450 and it had a pair of binoculars with it plus a geo-finder. I don't use the binoculars while hunting for reasons I will elaborate later. I haven't actually used it beyond about 300 yds, but I verified it works excellent out to 200 yds by checking it on the measured ranges at my gun club and it's very, very close...so I presume it accurate at ranges somewhat beyond that. I don't actually have any place to take a shot beyond about 300 yds, but it gives reading I'd expect from 200 to 300yds so I think it's pretty accurate. I've read reviews stating that users get good results out to 600, but that it seems to begin breaking down beyond that unless the object sighted is pretty bright. ARC compensator also works really well for bow, and seems to work for rifle. There are multiple programs to compensate for multiple calibers although at just 200 yds at the range, the angle is small enough as compared to the bullet fight path that I can just do a hold dead on at ranges from 50 yds to 200. One advantage I never thought about: You basically have a 5x scope that works as well as binoculars for ranges well beyond 150 yds. I no longer carry a separate pair of binoculars. Oh, yeah, I use markers (flagging tape or bright eyes or whatnot) for ranges 10, 20, 30 and 40yds that are set in place using this rangefinder and these are ranges I'll use for bow(well, actually crossbow). But I pick out natural objects at longer distances by rangefinding while hunting. I still like to carry this for a binocular replacement and then I have use of it for rangefinding from my stand at any time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom