• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Hey I have been reading some threads and I see that there are a few of you out there that are range safety officers at Elk Neck. I am interested in volunteering down there and becoming an RSO. I live in North East about 5-10 mins from the range. I am new to shooting and have shot at elk neck about half a dozen times. The first few times were great (there was an RSO on duty), but the last time I shot down this past weekend, I was pretty disturbed at what I saw. It was an animal house (tons of people) and there was no RSO on duty. I saw muzzles flagging people left and right, people handling firearms with folks down range, one guy rapid firing his bull pup (1 shot per second range rule), low targets, people using rocks to weigh down their targets, etc, etc, etc.

So instead of just bitching I thought I would try to be part of the solution. I like that range it is very close and affordable ($50 year). I don't want to see it shut down and I want the safety issues corrected. The forest manager did eventually show up around 1-2 pm and gave everyone a good scolding (he was pissed), he mentioned there is a lot of political pressure to shut Elk Neck shooting range down. I don't want to see that happen.

PM me if you have info. Thx.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Hey I have been reading some threads and I see that there are a few of you out there that are range safety officers at Elk Neck. I am interested in volunteering down there and becoming an RSO. I live in North East about 5-10 mins from the range. I am new to shooting and have shot at elk neck about half a dozen times. The first few times were great (there was an RSO on duty), but the last time I shot down this past weekend, I was pretty disturbed at what I saw. It was an animal house (tons of people) and there was no RSO on duty. I saw muzzles flagging people left and right, people handling firearms with folks down range, one guy rapid firing his bull pup (1 shot per second range rule), low targets, people using rocks to weigh down their targets, etc, etc, etc.

So instead of just bitching I thought I would try to be part of the solution. I like that range it is very close and affordable ($50 year). I don't want to see it shut down and I want the safety issues corrected. The forest manager did eventually show up around 1-2 pm and gave everyone a good scolding (he was pissed), he mentioned there is a lot of political pressure to shut Elk Neck shooting range down. I don't want to see that happen.

PM me if you have info. Thx.

Join the social group on MDS and send an e-mail to elkneckforest@gmail.com. I am sure one of the ENSF RSO council will get back to you.

I conduct the NRA RSO class for ENSF. You are welcome to shadow me when I am volunteering as RSO (next time is 11/23).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom