• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which?

• .223 Cheap. You ain't shootin' no deer.

Votes: 20 55.6%
    • 7.62x39 Cheap. You can legally hunt with it, just not around here.

Votes: 8 22.2%
    • .350 Legend Less Cheap. Good for regional hunting options too.

Votes: 5 13.9%
    • Other

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The ones I built are reliable and I never too a SOTAR class, not even once. I do check the trigger pin pockets with my handy gauge to make sure it's in spec, just like Colt does at it's factory.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    .223 Remington. The perfect companion to 22lr and 12ga, and your initial center-fire rifle option that makes sense in terms of having an inventory of varied chambering selections that can collectively do many different things. From there, something in 6.5mm or heavier, to open other avenues still, if and when desired.
    Sometimes, my first thought is right. But I like to be certain and keep an open mind. :thumbsup:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a rifle I built in .223 that is accurate to the point that it's a real joy to shoot when I'm having a good day behind the rifle. I don't even do anything specific to reload other than size my brass and then trim it to length.

Here's a pic of the rifle and a couple of targets that were shot at 100 yards. (The target with the dime - 5 shots - was shot at 50 yards.) Granted, these are good targets - groups aren't always that tight because I'm not always that consistent, but the rifle will certainly do it if I can. On that battleship target, those dots are about the size of a nickel and each shot is a hit if it breaks the line.

This rifle is actually built to be a prairie dog gun - I could have gone with 22-250, which is considered the King of the varmint gun cartridges, but I went with 223 because it's cheap, and 223 range pickup is EVERYWHERE. A guy can get a good stock of good brass if they want to take the time to sort by headstamp and weigh the cases. There is a fair bit of brass prep to deal with though - crimped primer pockets and all - but I don't mind that so much, and my reloads have proven to be a great deal more consistent than cheap factory ammo.

Bighorn Build.jpg
    5Shots.jpg
    100YardGroup.jpg
    Battleship.jpeg

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe I misunderstood the question. They want a range rifle. To me that means a few things:

1.) Fun to shoot
    2.) Accurate
    3.) Decently economical

There's nothing very economical about some of the pet choices being bandied about.

30-06? Is that even remotely economical to either buy or reload? Same thing goes for some of those other choices. Of course no ammo is cheap these days - .22 LR is about as cheap as it gets, but I think that 223 makes for a good argument for for a few reasons:

1.) Definitely fun to shoot - negligible recoil out of my bolt gun - I literally don't have to have it in my shoulder because the recoil is that light.

2.) Accurate? Oh yeah - if you really want to test your marksmanship abilities, shoot my rifle - if you miss, you can't blame the gun.

3.) Decently economical? Yeah - I'd say so. I can reload it for about 35¢/round with a decent bullet and get the results I posted above....although I do have about $2200 into the build, so....

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Maybe I misunderstood the question. They want a range rifle. To me that means a few things:

1.) Fun to shoot
    2.) Accurate
    3.) Decently economical

There's nothing very economical about some of the pet choices being bandied about.
    Nope. You are correct, Sir!

The only other consideration was the possibility of legal hunting opportunities in retirement.

Like that would ever happen...

The usual MDS cacachittery was anticipated as well as appreciated. :)

Feb 28, 2013
    I never liked shooting off the AR platform. 40 years ago we were shooting 400 yard targets with it. (USAR) I can't even see that far with corrected vision any more!

It's unpleasant to shoot and butt ugly.

I'm a FUDD. :(

A used, wood .308 bolt gun would sure be purdy!
    How bout a .308 Garand?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nope. You are correct, Sir!

The only other consideration was the possibility of legal hunting opportunities in retirement.

Like that would ever happen...

The usual MDS cacachittery was anticipated as well as appreciated. :)
    Some states allow hunting with a 223 - I know when I was a kid my Dad took a deer with a Sako Vixen in 223, although I wouldn’t recommend hunting anything bigger.

As for a rifle, a Ruger American Predator would be nicely accurate and wouldn’t break the bank - you wouldn’t have to do a build like mine.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    I have a rifle I built in .223 that is accurate to the point that it's a real joy to shoot when I'm having a good day behind the rifle. I don't even do anything specific to reload other than size my brass and then trim it to length.

Here's a pic of the rifle and a couple of targets that were shot at 100 yards. (The target with the dime - 5 shots - was shot at 50 yards.) Granted, these are good targets - groups aren't always that tight because I'm not always that consistent, but the rifle will certainly do it if I can. On that battleship target, those dots are about the size of a nickel and each shot is a hit if it breaks the line.

This rifle is actually built to be a prairie dog gun - I could have gone with 22-250, which is considered the King of the varmint gun cartridges, but I went with 223 because it's cheap, and 223 range pickup is EVERYWHERE. A guy can get a good stock of good brass if they want to take the time to sort by headstamp and weigh the cases. There is a fair bit of brass prep to deal with though - crimped primer pockets and all - but I don't mind that so much, and my reloads have proven to be a great deal more consistent than cheap factory ammo.

View attachment 427407 View attachment 427408 View attachment 427409 View attachment 427410
    That has got to be some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I have a lot of love for bolt actions in intermediate calibers. I recently picked up a CZ527 in 223 but it's nowhere near that accurate. I hope to get it there one day though.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That has got to be some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I have a lot of love for bolt actions in intermediate calibers. I recently picked up a CZ527 in 223 but it's nowhere near that accurate. I hope to get it there one day though.
    Get Ed Harren to take care of that for you. He doesn't post much but he's on the boards as DocEd. He's in imams ijamsville, not too far from you. He turns the 527s into some wicked shooters. When the actions were available readily he would do PPCs on them.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    For what it's worth I would start with a .223 bolt rifle. Can shoot for hours and won't beat you up, as I aged I no longer enjoy recoil so spend most of my time messing around with the 22 varmint calibers.
    I tend to buy used, many fine accurate varmint rifles have been made over the years and can be found for reasonable prices. Just one example is the Winchester Model 70 Heavy Varmint, made in the 1990's with a Wilson barrel and HS Precision stock, they have a reputation for accuracy, they were available in 5 calibers, mine is .223.
    You can spend a lot of quality time at the 100 yard range tailoring loads to shoot small groups and if the opportunity presents itself can easily take a .223 out to 600 yards with the right loads.

IMG_1670.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom