• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Anyone else wonder if some of the range reports aren't a bit exaggerated? Not necessarily on this forum, but some of the range reports I've seen really make me wonder if someone isn't being entirely honest regarding their results. I recently saw on another forum someone showing a target with groups that you could cover with a quarter shot from a .22 pistol at 100 yards. Really? I can see doing that with a .22 rifle with a scope, but a pistol? Maybe with a long barreled scoped pistol with match ammo shot from a Ransom rest. Otherwise, that's some amazing marksmanship. Maybe it's just me be suspicious and jealous.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    22 Anshutz, prone Eley tenex, 100 yards yesterday. got caught in wind twice.

Resized_20230211_160104.jpeg

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Now that I can believe. Shooting an accurate rifle, prone, good ammo. Scope?
    Yes, my 10-60 March. I paid $2500 for the scope! Its on the 22 now while my 1000 yard prone gun is getting a new barrel. But actually, with the anshutz iron sights, it will group just as good. The trigger is fantastic

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I can speak from experience that when I am at the range in a relaxed atmosphere shooting with my wife my groups are pretty decent, though my wife always out does me. My wife is usually a quarter could cover her groups and a dollar could cover mine.

While I was doing my CCW it was a different scenario for sure. I am a pretty relaxed guy but with having a nerve issue in my right leg from a spine injury. 5 yards group of a half dollar. 10 yard I was at the dollar and with the 15 yard lets just say I scored a 92% where at the range I would be a dollar size cover up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's one thing to doubt. Quite another to call out.

(hey, I made a rhyme!)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I think people rarely show their worst thats for sure!
    I know I always dont show the worst, but I only really shoot against myself and I'm not into kidding me.
    I dont care much about some things anymore.
    Shoot enough and one would soon realize shooting groups and then making hits are two different things.
    And hits aint always pretty.

Attachments

• 1909.jpg
      1909.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 96

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I was fortunate know a pretty good PPC and Bullseye shooter before he passed. His built guns, rimfire and centerfire, shot 2-2.5" fifty yard groups. Those are with irons and unsupported. From his Ransom rest, his Clarke PPC .38 and his Safari arms matchmaster both did 1-1.5".

I am more focused on precision with rifles. People may post their best but I tend to rate my rifles by what I can do with them on a bad day with no sleep and two energy drinks in my system. Helps keep my feet out of my mouth.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was fortunate know a pretty good PPC and Bullseye shooter before he passed. His built guns, rimfire and centerfire, shot 2-2.5" fifty yard groups. Those are with irons and unsupported. From his Ransom rest, his Clarke PPC .38 and his Safari arms matchmaster both did 1-1.5".

I am more focused on precision with rifles. People may post their best but I tend to rate my rifles by what I can do with them on a bad day with no sleep and two energy drinks in my system. Helps keep my feet out of my mouth.
    I'm with you. Self examination should be why and how we view our targets.

I often post pics of targets(the same three pics) to demonstrate what a particular gun is possible of achieving.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I don't believe anyone is regularly shooting groups that can be covered with a quarter from a .22 pistol.

Nice shooting Park Ranger.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I wish I was good with a rifle and could post one ragged hole photos. Mine would look like patterning goose loads on a bed sheet.
    Just not good with distance shooting.
    Slight tremor, ADD, caffeine, old man eyes and any other excuse out there.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I wish I was good with a rifle and could post one ragged hole photos. Mine would look like patterning goose loads on a bed sheet.
    Just not good with distance shooting.
    Slight tremor, ADD, caffeine, old man eyes and any other excuse out there.

Not just you sir. A LOT of things have to be right to shoot ragged one hole groups.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I don't believe anyone is regularly shooting groups that can be covered with a quarter from a .22 pistol.
    I also think BS. International Free pistol is 50m. The X is about the size of a quarter IIRC. That would be a 100-10x perfect score. I don't know if thats ever been done even at 50m.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I think it also has to do with what type of shooting you are doing. If you are a bullseye guy, then I can see 2 inch groups off hand at 25 yards. If you are practicing defensive handgun and that is claimed....look hard for the powder residue on their target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom