Range Report (or: How I spent my morning!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    Today, for the first time in about 20 years I made it out to the range. I got voted in to Berwyn last night, built my target stand first thing, drove over and shot four pistols, a (new-to-me) SA 1911, a Ruger MkII, a Makarov, and an old H&R .22 revolver. I think all-told, that I put about 300 rounds down-range.

I started out with the .45. Had a blast (no pun intended) and got some great tips from another shooter. I was a bit loose at first, but saw some improvement by the time I was ready to leave. I was having two problems. The first is that I discovered that I was not only anticipating the shot, but actually flinching! Never done that before. I switched out the action to my Kimber .22 conversion and that helped with both. (WWB ammo made a lot of smoke but ran the action just fine. After a bit, I went back to the .45 and got my groups tightened up a bit. OK, they're not great, but it's a start. (and no, I'm not telling just how tight they weren't! Suffice to say that I stayed at 25' this time.)

The second problem is (didn't resolve this one yet) that I'm shooting low and left on a regular basis. I'm fairly sure it's me and not the weapon as I was doing the same thing with both the .45 and the .22 actions. Another shooter suggested grip and I realized that I don't know where I picked up my technique. I think we shot one handed when I learned the .45 (USMC, early '80s) but really don't remember. Any thoughts?

With the MKII I did OK, mostly in the black right off and tightened things a bit fairly quickly.

Revolver was a bit weird. This was my Dad's and is one of the first things I ever shot. Teeny-tiny sights though. All over the paper. Went bang though.

The Makarov is my wife's pistol. It's fun to shoot and I was mostly in the black right off. (Remember: 25'... I'll move the target next time.) The thing I don't like about this one is that the magazine is a real PITA to release. You almost need a second thumb on your third hand.

Anyway, all-in-all a decent morning. Met some nice folks, had a good time. And learned just how much I've forgotten / don't know about shooting! Looking forward to going back.

Cheers!

:thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    GFY! 20 years between range trips means you ain't gettin' out often enough! :innocent0

The more you practice, the better you'll get - and the more fun you'll have. Others will be along who'll offer plenty of corrective advice on your "low and left" targeting. I'll leave that to them.

My recommendation is to shorten the intervals between your range trips by a LOT!! Oh, and pics are good things too. WE enjoy them here. :)

Glad you had fun.
    :thumbsup:

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Doesn't matter how long between range trips it's always a great time, but 20 years is pushing it. :)
    Can say much, it was almost 20 years before I fire a gun again :o

Sound like you had a great time :)

WaltherWhite

Heisenberg
    Aug 3, 2012
    I think I had the same problem about a year ago I you use jerk the gun and anticipate the recoil all my shots were low and to the left also (I was very new). I switched to a 9 with a heavier trigger pull and took my time pulling the trigger fixed my shots two months later I didn't have the problem anymore, made me alot happier that I could shoot well so i went more often and the flinching? is completely gone and I enjoy shooting a .45 more than anything right now.

GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    @Walther,

The thing is that the shots were still in the same area when I switched out to the .22 upper. I will work on trigger control next time though. I'm also going to look closely at the sights on the Ruger MKII. I was a lkot closer in with that one right off.

Any tips on the site picture on a SA "Loaded" 1911?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom