• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sentinel

Aug 19, 2007
    Maryland
    Not sensitive at all sir, I don't understand why you wait until Oldcarjunkie and I posted our pictures to complain. I see lots of pictures posted on this thread (going back to page one) of non C&R firearms and it didn't seem to bother you then.

I do agree that a general Range Pic thread would be a good idea.

So no worries I'll not post pictures on this thread again, sorry if I pooped in anyone's Wheaties.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It was not directed at any one individual. That was just timing
    Just to let people know. Cause I have seen non C&R in the last page or two.

I think a Rifle Range pic thread may be in order. I'd be posting to it as well.

That's why I mentioned Forum Runner. I was wondering if people are using an app where they don't know where they are posting.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    You didnt offend me.. i didnt care. I was just messing with you on the moon smiley . Like I said I did realize where I posted it After I posted and it refreshed. But j was like screw that taking it back off. It took me 15 mins to upload pics from my phone out here in the boonies.lmao

On the flip side... these Mofo's out here in Tennessee have .22 bricks in stock for 36.00!

Having dinner right now. Then think we are going to Smokey mountain knife works.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Took the recent M1 Service grade out. It was windy so I also took out the Special Grade Garand out for comparison. All from Greek Surplus.
    The Service grade did not need any sight adjustment to hit within 1" of X at 50 yards. Took it to 100 yards and here are 2 5 shot groups.
    This is all from the bench with bags @ 100 yards. Winds were about 10+. Don't know how much that can affect a 30-06. I did feel my groups were larger than normal. Could have been just me or the Greek surplus or maybe the wind. I also finally learned how to set the windage knob to calibrate at 100 yards. I got both adjusted properly
    First Paper is the Service grade, 2nd is the Special Grade.
    If I had received in this Service grade last year, I probably would not have purchase the Special Grade.
    I still have one more Service grade in the queue.

I separated the surplus by head stamp, I did notice previously some POI changes from each headstamp. Some of them had some corrosion on the bullets and I separated those out.

I'll be anxious to try this one with my Reloads cause I know my Special Grade M1 and the Smith Corona 1903a3 shoots better with my reloads then the Greek ammo

Attachments

• Service100yds.JPG
      Service100yds.JPG
      42.9 KB · Views: 518
    • Special100yds.JPG
      Special100yds.JPG
      35.8 KB · Views: 516
    • ServiceGrade.jpg
      ServiceGrade.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 522
    • IMG_0017.JPG
      IMG_0017.JPG
      53 KB · Views: 546

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Nice M1's!

I worked up my first reloads for mine last night. Hornady 150gr FMJBT with 4064 in new PPU brass.

Also started oiling the new stock down some, and installed a repro leather sling.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    uploadfromtaptalk1418809642915.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1418809654875.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1418809668988.jpg
    Shot my Garand at my friends range to test out the extractor repair. We decided to see what some Greek surplus would do to a couple bowling balls and a steel pistol target.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    ouch on the plate. What fills the bowling ball there?,
    Did they go straight through?

Greek surplus is metal/steel jacketed. It attracts a magnet. It should hit pretty hard and not break apart so easily. One reason I don't like to shoot it through my Minty bore Smith Corona 03a3. I don't know if anyone ever did a test to see how many rounds it takes to wear down a barrel with the greek surplus on a Garand

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My Dad and I shooting the 1956 dated Springfield M1 Garand
    Dad is all bundled up in his cammo jacket.

Attachments

• garandoffhand.jpg
      garandoffhand.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 493
    • IMG_0138.JPG
      IMG_0138.JPG
      67.5 KB · Views: 437

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    ouch on the plate. What fills the bowling ball there?,
    Did they go straight through?

Greek surplus is metal/steel jacketed. It attracts a magnet. It should hit pretty hard and not break apart so easily. One reason I don't like to shoot it through my Minty bore Smith Corona 03a3. I don't know if anyone ever did a test to see how many rounds it takes to wear down a barrel with the greek surplus on a Garand

Those are two different bowling balls and you are looking at the exit wounds. They entered the other side of the ball with just a tiny hole. Crazy!

That's a mild steel plate that it went straight through. We have another larger plate that I hit 8 times with the Greek surplus and you could just BARELY feel a dimple in the plate where the rounds hit. It's not AR500, I'll have to ask my friend what it is.

Edit:
    And on the filling inside the bowling ball, I am not sure what it is. When I approached the ball, it looked exactly like concrete to me. It's some kind of pourous polymer, a really weird material. Almost the same texture as the inside of a malted milk ball!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I love my new Carl Gustafs Model 1896. Hornady 140 grain match bullets on top of 39.9 grains of IMR 4350.
    07e2bc029e2fdb036582eee3ba385170.jpg

As an aside, I think I made a young guy's day today. After observing him watching me shoot my Chinese T53, I offered it up to him and he really got a kick out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom