• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I second Cresap. Open to non members on weekends, not to pricey. Obey the range officers and you will be fine. They don't permit double taps, which I am ok with. Years ago my Garand developed a defect (has since been repaired), and was firing two rounds with one trigger pull. The RO was all over me and thought that I was double tapping. I demonstrated the defect, and the RO politely said to put away your Garand.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Why don't you belong to the Damascus IWLA WAC?

IWL is a PITA but maybe I will finally check them out. I really just want to go shoot someplace not be required to work there.

I also don't like Cresap I have been there a couple times and really they are complete assholes. I have not been in years but it left a bad taste in my mouth. My BIL is a member of Berwyn so just might go there with him.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    :wave:
    You only have to work the first 2 years. After that, it's all voluntary.

Yep I am going to join. I got a sponsor too so I am all set. I'll get a family membership so me and my wife can go. The place is very close to me anyway (<10 minutes). I actually don't mind the volunteer work.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yep I am going to join. I got a sponsor too so I am all set. I'll get a family membership so me and my wife can go. The place is very close to me anyway (<10 minutes). I actually don't mind the volunteer work.
    Good deal. I would have been happy to sponsor you, but all the better you have someone who knows you. I'm only 12 minutes away myself.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Good deal. I would have been happy to sponsor you, but all the better you have someone who knows you. I'm only 12 minutes away myself.

Sadly it is 4/5 before the next meeting and the end of April for the next range orientation. But once I am a member I'd be happy to shoot with you.

Can my wife shoot without an HQL?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sadly it is 4/5 before the next meeting and the end of April for the next range orientation. But once I am a member I'd be happy to shoot with you.

Can my wife shoot without an HQL?
    No problem. Yes, she doesn't need an hql to shoot. Lots of people, including me, have had guns before the hql BS.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    No problem. Yes, she doesn't need an hql to shoot. Lots of people, including me, have had guns before the hql BS.

Crap ok. Well I'll get her on that. What about out of state shooters? My brother in law comes from PA and would like to shoot there with me when they visit. He has a PA CCW.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    You do not need an HQL to shoot there. Just take the range orientation and you can go whenever the ranges are open. Are you an MD Hunter Safety Instructor? We need more instructors and teaching there qualifies as a conservation credit for work hours.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Crap ok. Well I'll get her on that. What about out of state shooters? My brother in law comes from PA and would like to shoot there with me when they visit. He has a PA CCW.
    Once you become a full fledged member(no longer a probie), you will receive two guest range passes, which means you can bring two guests at any one time. However, I believe you can only bring the same guest no more than twice a year. At least that's how it used to be. I don't know how strict they are about enforcement. I try not to bring two guests at a time. You'll spend the whole time making sure they don't screw up. Also, it used to be you could bring your wife or family member(from your household)more than twice annually on your guest pass, but that was how it was 25 years ago when I joined. You'll get all that info in your range safety class. Max may be able to fix my errors here, since he is an RSO and instructor.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You do not need an HQL to shoot there. Just take the range orientation and you can go whenever the ranges are open. Are you an MD Hunter Safety Instructor? We need more instructors and teaching there qualifies as a conservation credit for work hours.

No. I took the course though.

Cool she doesn't need the HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom