Range Etiquette, What would you do in this situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Most of my indoor shooting has been at Continental. I'd ask them if they could slide over a few steps and that would solve 99% of the problems. One time, one clown told me to go screw myself. He had a 9mm and was very carefully practicing bullseye shooting at about 5 yards with it. I had been shooting my 10/22. I switched to my .44 and my Mossy 500. He apparently found me distracting after that and left shortly afterward.

So, bring a shotgun.

Excellent! I usually have the 7.5 or 10.5 SBR with Dynacomp for these occasions. Only happens to me at Freestate when someone is leaning out pretty far and everyone I've asked to move (politely) has done so. I would definitely ask.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Unfortunately, there are three types of people I've seen in this hobby: Person #1 - Tool-bags (dumbasses) are people who are so oblivious to their actions and surroundings that they just don't know what's going on. Scary that a person like that can have a weapon. Person #2 is just a normal *******. They know what they are doing but just don't care about anyone other than themselves. These are typically the "Tacti-Cool" guys that falsely think they're Rambo. Also scary that a person like that can have a weapon. Person #3 is just a normal dude out practice that's usually aware of their surroundings and have no problem with anything.

Unfortunately, when dealing with any of them you still will need to ask for them to perhaps adjust their shooting so that they stop whatever the annoyingly oblivious action was they were doing. Person #1 will usually just comply as they are low on brain power and were serenely ignorant that they were doing anything to begin with. Person #2 will probably be confrontational because they think the world revolves around them. They may still comply but with pissing and moaning. Person #3 will just say "Man, sorry about that I didn't realize." and adjust accordingly.

Either way, you still should have said something. Just be nice and polite and give it a try next time. Thankfully there are more Person #3's in this hobby then #1's or #2's.

Scarab

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Hat + shotgun or 44 mag

2. Always wear a hat when shooting. (It's how I was taught and I feel strange without one.)
    +1
    Continental used to have nets above the partitions, haven't been there much lately so I don't know if they still do.
    I also carry something noisy (3"or 4" .357 or 44 Mag). I find those compensated 38 Supers are also quit painful to be near.
    I also don't mind a gift of brass- any caliber.
    DocAitch

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If I were the one showering someone with my brass, I would want to know. If asked politely, I would make adjustments. If I were approached with " hey *******, your brass is raining down on me, move", I would not be real accommodating.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I shoot a lot of 45acp. I would keep my mouth shut, pick up the brass, and call it a good day at the range.

If you don't reload, pick up a few and say I think these belong to you. Most people would get the message.

Hambone

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I think the majority of people would happily make an adjustment if it was politely pointed out that they were spraying you with brass. Give them the benefit of the doubt that they did not realize they were doing it.

On a side note, last weekend I was at Continental when the gentleman next to me tapped me on the shoulder. I looked at him and he said ” I just want to exchange a little range courtesy. I am about to take a few shots with my ported shotgun and its going to be loud as hell.” I really appreciated the heads up once he started firing.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for the advice. Will ask the shooter nicely next time it happens. And wear a hat.

Has also made me more cognizant of where my own brass is going.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I can't imagine not just saying something to the guy. If you don't want to say something all you can do is leave if it bothers you. I personally try to be considerate of others and have rarely had any bad interactions with other shooters. I haven't shot at an indoor range for many years though either. I'll admit i'm spoiled by shooting at a members only club so everyone is invested.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Sounds like a partition problem, not a shooter problem. Ask the manager to put some basic netting above the partitions to stop flying brass. A minor expense on their part if it makes customers happy and more likely to visit again.

I've seen this problem when I shoot my Rossi .357 lever carbine. It ejects casings way up over my shoulder and about 10 feet behind me. I try my best not to plink bystanders but there's only so much I can do. They are obligated as much as me to have situational awareness near the firing line and to give reasonable way to people shooting. I've been hit by others people's brass plenty of times. No big deal. It happens. I either shift my position if they were there first or let them finish what's left in the gun before I start.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    On a side note, last weekend I was at Continental when the gentleman next to me tapped me on the shoulder. I looked at him and he said ” I just want to exchange a little range courtesy. I am about to take a few shots with my ported shotgun and its going to be loud as hell.” I really appreciated the heads up once he started firing.

I had a standard policy of not using my 12ga or .44 if there were women or "kids" on the line, nor when someone was obviously trying to really sight in something. I realize that many of these folks may have been fine with it, but it seemed rude to me. I tried to go as early as I could or on weekdays so that the lanes would be less crowded

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I can't imagine not just saying something to the guy. If you don't want to say something all you can do is leave if it bothers you. I personally try to be considerate of others and have rarely had any bad interactions with other shooters. I haven't shot at an indoor range for many years though either. I'll admit i'm spoiled by shooting at a members only club so everyone is invested.

Yes, I have yet to meet any jerks at my members only club. They'll kick you out if you are an ass or do stupid crap.

Scarab

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    One of my pistols is a PPK/S. That one really flings brass quite a distance, of 12-15 feet. Fortunately I live on The Shore and shoot out back, because this pistol would be an issue at many ranges.

Ranges should be designed with high partitions.

alfalfa

Aug 9, 2011
    Severna Park
    Happens all the time

I go there frequently and try to make sure my brass is kept mostly to myself. Each firearm has its own ejection trajectory, so... adjust. I guess that guy never learned that.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Sometimes it is because they are too far forward. I have just politely tapped the person on the shoulder when their mag is spent and asked them to watch their brass and try to keep it on their side.

Feb 28, 2013
    I was shooting at On Target on Monday. The guy using the next lane over to the left was shooting a 1911. As he shot, his spent brass was coming over the partition and hitting me in the head. Being a basically non-confrontational guy, I tried to shrug it off at first, on the hope that he would finish up in a few minutes and move on. No such luck -- he had more time and ammo than I did. I finally wound up putting up with it by standing against the partition and reloading mags while he was shooting, and then shooting while he was reloading.

Of course I have been hit by the occasional spent brass before -- that is just part of the game. In this case it was every single round the guy was firing and probably could have been avoided if he adjusted his shooting position by a few inches (so that his brass would hit the partition rather than flying over it). Again, though, being non-confrontational, I didn't ask the guy to adjust.

So what do you think? Should I have asked the guy to give me a break, or just put up with it?

I probably wouldn't say anything either, but definitely wear a hat next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom