• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you don't mind taking awhile, Cabelas can be a great source. They have free shipping deals often and also a few times a year send out $20 off a $99 purchase offers, which on a $100. Three or four times a year they'll have free shipping and 10% off.

You can get discounted gift cards saving another 10-20% and use activejunky to kickback another couple percent. Then just buy what they have on sale at the time.

I think the best deal I landed was IMI m193 for $6.74 a box, $20 off my order of about $105 and 14% off with discounted gift cards and activejunky at the time paid me 12% back on ammo. Ended up with 320 rounds and ended up out of pocket basically $74 or barely over 20 cents a round.

I haven't gotten anything quite that good since then, but I'll buy ammo from cabelas $100 or so at a time using similar deals. Like I just picked up IMI m193 at $7.49 a box and PPU M80 for $10.99 a box and 16% off a 100 gift card.

SGAmmo has some pretty darned good deals and the shipping isn't bad. I'll be trying them out soon as I want to start trying out some "expensive" ammo that either cabelas doesn't carry or they don't ever have as cheap. Like IMI 175gr .308 (which cabelas doesn't have) and IMI 5.56 77gr (a couple bucks a box less through SGAmmo)

So I'll probably pick up a box or two of IMI 69 and 77gr 5.56 and 168 and 175gr .308 and PPU 168 and 175gr. Probably a few boxes of 55gr gold dots too for the 10.5" AR pistol I am looking to finish building.

Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton
    Thanks for all the good feedback.

Is this good ammo?

670dc74a947256e11b1f4ce73f72281a.jpg

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks for all the good feedback.

Is this good ammo?

670dc74a947256e11b1f4ce73f72281a.jpg

That is exactly the stuff we've all been talking about, and if you can get free shipping on that, it's a decent price, too (considering that it includes the ammo can).

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Im fairly loaded up on Federal, Wolf Gold and PMC.

Now buying .223 62 grain Remington Hog Hammer and 64 grain Gold Dots.

Cheap stuff is for water bottles, the Hog Hammer and Gold Dots are stockpiled for a SHTF scenario or in the event they become unavailable.

Have you dialed in the Colt yet? Depending on the rifling, the lighter 55gr may not be the best to do so. Unless you're just getting this ammo to shoot for funsies, then it obviously doesn't matter much.

Is Wolf Gold a new thing? Never seen it before, but I've also stayed away from Wolf in general as it doesn't like to cycle in any AR's in my house.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Have you dialed in the Colt yet? Depending on the rifling, the lighter 55gr may not be the best to do so. Unless you're just getting this ammo to shoot for funsies, then it obviously doesn't matter much.

Is Wolf Gold a new thing? Never seen it before, but I've also stayed away from Wolf in general as it doesn't like to cycle in any AR's in my house.

If you use ammoseek, select your caliber, select Wolf as the manufacturer, select Options, and then select Brass as the case.

bea313fdbf04403373a08dfd78054709.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton

You make a valid point. Probably worth getting a couple of different ammos and see what she likes best. Anyone with a Colt out there have any experiences worth sharing?

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD

Been around quite awhile and has a great rep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7GB6RD4kI

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I would avoid Freedom Munitions remanufactured. I witnessed a blowout at Delmarva last summer. It blew out the mag in the AR, sending shards of plastic into the arm of the shooter. It deformed the lower to the point where it is no longer usable. The upper was deformed to the point that the BCG was seized so badly that repeated mortaring couldn't unbind it. The severity of the incident convinced me to never trust Freedom Munitions remanufactured ammo.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I generally buy Federal, Independence and IMI M193. Lately you should be able to get it at 33 cents/round shipped.

In smaller quantities, I have shot Geco and MEN without issues.

I have a case of PPU M193 that is significantly hotter than Federal/Independence and IMI.

I has also heard a lot of good reviews on the Wolf Gold.

Check sgammo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

+1 on sgammo
    Sam over there is a great to work with

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Don't confuse Wolf Gold with their steel cased ammo.

Wolf Gold is probably some the best ammo for the price. It is brass cased. More accurate than Tula or Wolf steel cased. I put 30 rounds of it, in the 10 spot at 50 yards using just iron sights. Here is the picture if you do not believe me.

Not saying it is match grade, however the OP asked for good PLINKING ammo....

Attachments

• delton.jpg
      delton.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 144

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads