• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    You buy an 80% lower which is not a firearm. You mill it to a stripped lower- it is now a firearm, and it is regulated. You want to get it engraved, like with a serial number, maybe a logo or design on the magwell. Is it legal to leave it with an engraver?

What defines barrel length? ie- a welded compensator or barrel extension is included in the barrel length, but the same thing threaded is not. Is a "pinned" compensator or flash suppressor included in barrel length? Any other attachment methods included?

A lot of posts refer to the AR10 type rifle as exempted. Is this true? Has any MSP opinion (letter, email, phone) been received supporting the exclusion of AR 10's from regulation/bans?

Along that last line, many posts refer to interchangeability of parts as a criteria for a copy, but from the GA's opinion in 2010, I don't think he mentions interchangeability, just similar functioning. (although it seems it would have been reasonable to use a percentage of interchangeable parts as a criteria). So how valid is the interchangeability test?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You buy an 80% lower which is not a firearm. You mill it to a stripped lower- it is now a firearm, and it is regulated. You want to get it engraved, like with a serial number, maybe a logo or design on the magwell. Is it legal to leave it with an engraver?

Perfectly fine to do so.

What defines barrel length? ie- a welded compensator or barrel extension is included in the barrel length, but the same thing threaded is not. Is a "pinned" compensator or flash suppressor included in barrel length? Any other attachment methods included?

I believe welded and pinned flash suppressor/compensator are added to the length as they are now a permanent part of the barrel. Threaded barrels are to the end of the thread.

A lot of posts refer to the AR10 type rifle as exempted. Is this true? Has any MSP opinion (letter, email, phone) been received supporting the exclusion of AR 10's from regulation/bans?

Currently not named and a completely different model from the AR-15 as well as different caliber.

Along that last line, many posts refer to interchangeability of parts as a criteria for a copy, but from the GA's opinion in 2010, I don't think he mentions interchangeability, just similar functioning. (although it seems it would have been reasonable to use a percentage of interchangeable parts as a criteria). So how valid is the interchangeability test?

Interchangeability is not a determining factor, and I believe this is the case as well from ATF. (someone correct me if I am wrong and cite so I can have it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom