• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Just received this email from Rand Paul in reply to an email I sent him.

April 5, 2013

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding gun control. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.
    In the wake of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., there has been substantial debate about gun control. I hope we can learn more about what warning signs were missed and how we can better prevent tragedies like this from occurring in the future. However, I do not believe we should rush to enact reactionary legislation curtailing anyone's rights. No amount of gun control will be able to prevent mentally disturbed individuals from committing despicable acts of violence. High-risk individuals will still be able to acquire firearms and other lethal weapons, even with an increase in prevention.
    In order to combat calls for overly restrictive executive actions on gun control, I introduced the Separation of Powers Restoration and Second Amendment Protection Act of 2013 (S. 82). My bill states that any executive action taken by the President that impedes upon the legislative authority granted to Congress in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution does not have the force of law. It would prohibit the use of funds for enforcement of any such executive action. Finally, it would establish that Members of Congress have standing to legally challenge any executive action that violates Article I, Section 8, or the Second Amendment to the Constitution. It would also clarify that any individual, whose liberty or property rights are adversely affected, or any state or local government official whose authority is infringed upon by an executive action may challenge its validity in court.
    S. 82 has been placed on the Senate Legislative Calendar, and awaits further action. Please be assured I will oppose any legislation or executive action that unduly infringes upon our constitutional rights, and that I will continue fighting to defend the proper role of government, as outlined by the Constitution.
    Once more, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance in the future. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

Rand Paul, MD
    United States Senator

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom