Rail covers for carbine length build - what do you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I am going to give a quad rail a try with my next SBR 11.5" barrel build. For that, I have got a Midwest Industries drop-in quad rail on the way. I'd like to get rail covers for it. I was thinking KAC, but I see lots of options out there. I am interested in getting feedback.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So I am going to give a quad rail a try with my next SBR 11.5" barrel build. For that, I have got a Midwest Industries drop-in quad rail on the way. I'd like to get rail covers for it. I was thinking KAC, but I see lots of options out there. I am interested in getting feedback.
    I'm going to bump this 2 year old thread because I'm trying to wade through what's what with rail covers too. My only experience with quad-ral covers is the Knights Armament covers on my issue M4. I like them and I am trying to build an M4 clone, but I don't want to pay $25-$30 per panel for what was a budget build in the first place.

I've looked at Troy, Magpul XT panels, and a couple of other one-off things. I'd like to try to preserve the same look without spending $100+ on that particular accessory.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm going to bump this 2 year old thread because I'm trying to wade through what's what with rail covers too. My only experience with quad-ral covers is the Knights Armament covers on my issue M4. I like them and I am trying to build an M4 clone, but I don't want to pay $25-$30 per panel for what was a budget build in the first place.

I've looked at Troy, Magpul XT panels, and a couple of other one-off things. I'd like to try to preserve the same look without spending $100+ on that particular accessory.
    Being the cheap **** that I can be, I have wrapped hydraulic hose sleeve (it's woven fiber, handles abrasion well, and is capable of handling reasonable heat) around things like aluminum rails and secured it with various means. Spray the outer surface with some truck bed liner and it stiffens significantly. You cut the sleeve lengthwise and secure around. Or, for float tubes and suppressors, you just slide it over and put a pinch stitch or two in.

Fire hose outer material works well too if your shit isn't going to get wet all the time (it can get stinky). Cut the length you want, pull out the rubber inner liner, and use the woven hose section.

For actual commercial product, the KAC panels are ok but they move a reasonable amount. They are great at keeping your hand away from the heat since they are "fat" but that's about it.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

I have a bunch of KAC panels I'd be willing to sell.

Personally, I prefer the LaRue clips

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a bunch of KAC panels I'd be willing to sell.

Personally, I prefer the LaRue clips
    I just measured my quad rails - they are mid-length rifle length, so they are 8.25" total length - I think the longest KAC rail is 6.5 for the 11 rib. Would that be the right size?

I'd never even heard of LaRue clips until just now. If I wasn't going for that M4 clone look on this build, I'd be tempted to get them.

On a side note, my quad rail is a Midwest Industries, which seems to me is pretty much a clone of the Knights Armament - I couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a drop-in quad rail.
    20DD9FB8-7767-4744-BEC1-6E81A4E7605F.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm a big fan of Magpul rail ladders. They are unobtrusive and I can cut them to fit in-between lights, lasers, and any other junk you hang on your gun. They don't add any bulk either.

https://magpul.com/ladder-rail-panel.html?mp_global_color=118
    Have them and use them but only on guns that dont get run hard. If you are driving your rig hard, lots of mags fast, they are not even close to protection from heat soak. I do like em though.

The DD softies are good. The cheap ass UTG rubbers aren't bad either.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have them and use them but only on guns that dont get run hard. If you are driving your rig hard, lots of mags fast, they are not even close to protection from heat soak. I do like em though.

The DD softies are good. The cheap ass UTG rubbers aren't bad either.
    I generally don't run my guns the hard, and most of my rails are not picatinny railed except the top rail and sometimes the bottom rail.

recce gun.jpg

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Who’s cornflakes did the OP shyt in. 2 years and no response and today it gets 7 reply’s in less than 2 hours. Easy to see who’s who.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Who’s cornflakes did the OP shyt in. 2 years and no response and today it gets 7 reply’s in less than 2 hours. Easy to see who’s who.
    Hahaha. Nobody that I know of. If I'd have noticed the original 2021 post I'd have offered my valueless opinions on it too!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think sometimes posts just hit at weird times - they wind up getting passed over for other threads that seem to draw more attention and the next thing you know, it's off the front page of new posts. I resurrected this thread because I'm trying to make heads-or-tails out of what's available for the quad rail on my M4 clone build and figured I'd resurrect a thread rather than to start a new one.
    I generally don't run my guns the hard, and most of my rails are not picatinny railed except the top rail and sometimes the bottom rail.

View attachment 404533
    That's a sexy build! The frog looks like he wants to eat it up! :lol2:

In general I'm with you - I'm not really a fan of the quad rail, and this one was a means to an end. This was my first AR build - a budget Blem Del Ton rifle build that had the original style plastic handguard with the internal aluminum heat shield. I upgraded the handguard to a Midwest Industries quad rail, and I just want to put something else on it to smooth out the edges.

As this thread and my Google-fu have progressed today, I'm not sure that a KAC rail cover would be the right choice - I think my MI rail is too long for it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's weird. calicojack is probably the most non-trouble starter on the entire forum. Musta been a slow weekend or something.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think sometimes posts just hit at weird times - they wind up getting passed over for other threads that seem to draw more attention and the next thing you know, it's off the front page of new posts. I resurrected this thread because I'm trying to make heads-or-tails out of what's available for the quad rail on my M4 clone build and figured I'd resurrect a thread rather than to start a new one.

That's a sexy build! The frog looks like he wants to eat it up! :lol2:

In general I'm with you - I'm not really a fan of the quad rail, and this one was a means to an end. This was my first AR build - a budget Blem Del Ton rifle build that had the original style plastic handguard with the internal aluminum heat shield. I upgraded the handguard to a Midwest Industries quad rail, and I just want to put something else on it to smooth out the edges.

As this thread and my Google-fu have progressed today, I'm not sure that a KAC rail cover would be the right choice - I think my MI rail is too long for it.
    Lol. Thanks! That's what happens when a person gets bored and has an air brush and a fridge full of DuraCoat... :blush:

Those ladders are great for rounding the sharp edges.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is what I ended up getting, well, I don't recall the brand :) but it's not KAC; probably something from Joe Bob Outfitters. For hand guards, I got a set of Midwest Industries drop-ins, which I really like.

sbr-556-colt-hrt.jpeg

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I just measured my quad rails - they are mid-length rifle length, so they are 8.25" total length - I think the longest KAC rail is 6.5 for the 11 rib. Would that be the right size?

I'd never even heard of LaRue clips until just now. If I wasn't going for that M4 clone look on this build, I'd be tempted to get them.

On a side note, my quad rail is a Midwest Industries, which seems to me is pretty much a clone of the Knights Armament - I couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a drop-in quad rail. View attachment 404530

I believe you're right I have several lengths and the KAC VFG

I will have to check the length of the 11 rib ones

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I have KAC panels(have KAC RAS hand guard too) and like them. You used to be able to pick up complete milsurp sets reasonably cheap. If I couldn’t get those for a reasonable price, I’d probably just go with the Magpul.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I find XTM’s to be somewhat bulky and slippery. If you have a wood burning tool they can be stippled pretty easily and are pretty good after that. The UTG rubbers are decent and although the ladders aren’t an effective barrier from heat they feel pretty good in the hand. The KAC’s are just a little more bulk than I can hold comfortably. For the non railed HG’s I really like dragon scale covers. https://railscales.us/railscales-mlok-g10-rail-covers/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom