• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not a .32 Ml, but a big ole .50 ML. Any one do it? I am just picking up a gun obsession (I mean hobby. Totally healthy). I have a .50cal ML (CVA wolf) that I plan to use for deer season this year. Looking at rabbit season, it overlaps with a lot of deer season. Anyone take rabbits when out deer hunting? Anyone do it with a ML? I'd imagine that with a .44 240gr out of a muzzleloader you pretty much need a head shot or you'll paste the rabbit (I'd like to have the bulk of the hide and the meat).

Thoughts/suggestions? I am probably a year out from getting a shotgun or .22mwr for rabbit hunting (and others), but also intend to keep ML deer hunting for the foreseeable future, so if a cotton tail hops by me while out deer hunting (and it is legal season for rabbits), should I bother? Or is even a head shot likely to tear it apart (or just an unrealistically small target with a single shot firearm)?

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Not a .32 Ml, but a big ole .50 ML. Any one do it? I am just picking up a gun obsession (I mean hobby. Totally healthy). I have a .50cal ML (CVA wolf) that I plan to use for deer season this year. Looking at rabbit season, it overlaps with a lot of deer season. Anyone take rabbits when out deer hunting? Anyone do it with a ML? I'd imagine that with a .44 240gr out of a muzzleloader you pretty much need a head shot or you'll paste the rabbit (I'd like to have the bulk of the hide and the meat).

Thoughts/suggestions? I am probably a year out from getting a shotgun or .22mwr for rabbit hunting (and others), but also intend to keep ML deer hunting for the foreseeable future, so if a cotton tail hops by me while out deer hunting (and it is legal season for rabbits), should I bother? Or is even a head shot likely to tear it apart (or just an unrealistically small target with a single shot firearm)?

That's why I want a suppressor for my Ruger Mk II

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wife restrictions. "Show me you can manage deer hunting this year and then you can buy more firearms". So I am hoping I can wrangle some deer AND rabbit hunting this year with what I have. Borrowing a 12ga from a friend for goose hunting, but it is only for the one trip, not something I can whiddle in to a long term loan.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    What does "manage deer hunting" actually mean, anyway? Yes, I managed to get away from the wife and kids. Some days I could care less if I actually shoot anything.

Did I say the 20 gauge was for hunting? What meant to say was that it was for her birthday, or for 2 legged critters that might break into the house...

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    LMAO

I can only think of the groundhogs that I have turned inside out with a 25-06 ... you could possibly do it, head shots only and reduced powder charge.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Shoot one and field dress it. My wife was raised effectively by pescatarian hippies and until a couple of months ago was uncomfortable with gun ownership or hunting. So I am willing to be patient with her. Her shift was "well we are trying to live off the land as much as we can. Hypocritical of me to be against hunting, so have at it".

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So maybe with a head shot, huh? I don't recall seeing on DNR's website, but is it legal to hunt with multiple fire arms? For instance a .308 for deer and a .22 for rabbits? If legal, are you going to get a warden hassling you about having a non-regulation gun on you while deer hunting (IE not enough muzzle energy for deer)?

Dec 31, 2012
    Tell her you need the right tool for the job. For big fish you need a bigger pole, for little fish you need a smaller pole, to bring into pescatarian terms.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Tell her you need the right tool for the job. For big fish you need a bigger pole, for little fish you need a smaller pole, to bring into pescatarian terms.

I've tried. Her response is the same. Get through deer season fine and then you probably can. :sad20:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Honestly its a bit overkill. I'd either buy the correct gun (.22 or 20ga) and tell her its a long term loan or buy a bow, arrows, and field points (it isn't a firearm :D)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Shoot one and field dress it. My wife was raised effectively by pescatarian hippies and until a couple of months ago was uncomfortable with gun ownership or hunting. So I am willing to be patient with her. Her shift was "well we are trying to live off the land as much as we can. Hypocritical of me to be against hunting, so have at it".

Shoot that rabbit with that .50 caliber, and let HER field dress it. Then she'll understand.:D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am thinking of trying to get on the list for hugg-Thomas for opening couple of days of ML season. Failing that patuxent, Seneca or Frederick city wet lands. My neighbor is an avid hunter and is taking me under his wings, but he doesn't rabbit hunt at all. Just deer, turkey and goose.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh and on bow, I plan to try hunting with a recurve next year. However, even with the space to setup a butt in my yard, I won't have near the time to be confident in my proficiency before archery season starts. I'll be lucky if I have the spare time to get to the range more than 3-4 more times before ML season starts. Let alone the couple of dozen hours of archery practice I expect I'd need to be even halfway passable. It has been a LONG time since I used a bow and arrow (almost 20 years).

Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Saw a youtube vid of a guy hunting deer from a tree stand. He overshoots the deer but plasters a rabbit that was beyond it. You don't notice the rabbit being there until it flys into the air. Sure it's still floating around on youtube somewhere.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, if you get proficient with your bow in time, you could have a deer by Oct, and a trophy that would earn a shotgun by Thanksgiving.

Also: Soldiers Delight now allows ML and shotgun hunting (deer only though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom