• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Anyone find the max COL for the Remington R1? Is it limited by the magazine or chamber? Looking for a ballpark figure and understand bullet profile dependent...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    No different than other 45 ACP 1911's. Magazine is always a limiting factor in any mag fed firearm. Most reloaders have their preferred COL for the bullets profiles they use. It is determined by the loading manuals, rifling lead (throat) just ahead of the chamber, and feeding reliability relative to bullet profile/COL. The loading manual for that bullet or very similar ones is a good starting point.

Example...round nose bullets, 250 and 230 grain, both cast, sized .452". The ogive (rounded part of the bullets) seemed similar. Both seated to the same COL since the shoulder and front most portion of the bullet were the same dimension. One make profile would jam into the rifling lead (throat) hard when the round was chambered. Another brand was no issue. With this information I built a pistol then had the barrel chambered for the first bullet (250 grain, my preference for pin shooting) and lead set for that bullet and COL. I had dummy rounds for the smith to use to set the lead depth.

To help for starters, I use a 230 grain FMJ set to a COL of 1.250". My 200 grain SWC typically are set to from 1.210" to 1.230" depending on the taper and reach of the bullet. A SWC will jam into the rifling if more than .010" - .020" of an inch of the bullet shoulder extends beyond the case mouth. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom