• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I am a recurve shooter and I am looking to get a quiver for my arrows. I rather not get a bow quiver but a standard one.

Since I am a new shooter what kind of quiver would be best. Id like a shoulder quiver? Will this work for hunting, should I get a waist one?

Any tips would be awesome.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I shot in competition during the late 60s as a teen. The waist quiver was more convenient. The over the shoulder was Micky Mouse and hard to replace arrows. It just looked good on "Robin Hood".

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Check out the various models of the Catquiver by Rancho Safari. I like them for hunting because they ride out of they way in the middle of the back and offer protection for both broadheads and fletchings. They also allow easy, silent removal of arrows and their return.

I do feel that bow quivers ruin the balance of a stickbow.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I never really got into "traditional" (they are actually 20th century inventions) over-the-shoulder back quivers, despite being a strictly trad archer. They are convenient on some target ranges because being on your back keeps them out of the way when crouching, and they seem ok for horseback, but they require too large of a movement to be good when hunting in brush. I found adjusting them and fumbling to reach my arrows to be a pain. Nevertheless, I seem to be among less than 10% of my trad archer buddies that doesn't use one. Must be a style thing?

Belt quivers are often a good starter but there are many kinds so it really depends what works for you. They can cant forward or backward, or be vertical. Some are just tubes or pockets while others have individual clips for each arrow which eliminates noise when moving. Whatever the style makes sure that it doesn't obstruct your draw and arrows can be taken without looking.

briwayjones

For hunting personally I wouldn't use a belt/hip quiver. It would just be in the way. As you're walking it would swing around, bang on your leg and get caught on everything you pass by. I would use a back quiver. Just reach over your shoulder and pull an arrow.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Got catquivers, which I love... bow quivers, which help to stabilize my bow... and tube quivers...

Best hands down, tube style Dawgware.. look it up on the net.

Of course, I'm a little biased as I am friends and hunting partner with the guy who sells/makes them LOL

mrbunny

Da Bullet go Boom.
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dundalk.
    If you are planning on hunting with the back quiver just be aware of what is above you. Sucks to draw an arrow just to get caught up on a branch above you.

Personally I am more of an archer than a bow hunter and I prefer the back quiver for speed shooting as my hand is right there after release.

As for hunting has anyone used a waist quiver worn at the lower back? Keeps your profile to a minimum when you draw an arrow and is not as much in the way when you crouch.

Just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom