quick ar build question - tools - roll pin punches?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmak67

Jul 21, 2015
    Hello,

had a quick question on watching all these videos on putting together the lower receiver i see people using roll pin punches and roll pin punch starters - does anyone have a list of which punches are needed? and a good supplier of such tools?

Thank You for your help.

j

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hello,

had a quick question on watching all these videos on putting together the lower receiver i see people using roll pin punches and roll pin punch starters - does anyone have a list of which punches are needed? and a good supplier of such tools?

Thank You for your help.

j

Bought mine from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...h-tools/punches/roll-pin-holders-prod781.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...hes/brownells-roll-pin-punches-prod26482.aspx

I have no idea exactly which ones you will need because I bought the entire set of both and built my lowers nearly 2 years ago, so the specifics escape me at this point.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Bought mine from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...h-tools/punches/roll-pin-holders-prod781.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...hes/brownells-roll-pin-punches-prod26482.aspx

I have no idea exactly which ones you will need because I bought the entire set of both and built my lowers nearly 2 years ago, so the specifics escape me at this point.

What he said, buy the whole set brownells if you live close to cabellas you should be able to order online and go tot heir store in DE.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Hello,

Thank You for your help.

j

If you watched Larry Potter (Midway) video you may think you need every tool known to man. Not necessary. Nice, but not necessary. A few small punches are sufficient. Just make sure you get the right sizes. They should be available at the local hardware or Home Depot.

Last edited:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Home Depot sells a set of 3 which covers everything I've ever needed em to do.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Hahahaha Yeah, MIDWAY USA'S video by Larry Potter is good. I usually watch his video's for a refresher if I have not done a lower or upper for awhile. But, he will have you spend like, $600 on tools if he can...hahhahaaha he has a tool for EVERYTHING! It is a good idea to get the small 5-7 pc set of roll punch and punch sets for like $19.99-29.99 depending where you buy. Have fun and get some painters tape also.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, there are 3 sizes needed.

BUT, buying those 3 will cost almost as much as buying the set. So I also bought the Brownell's complete set.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I picked up mine from Amazon, they were a Craftsman set. I think I paid $20 for them.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    A cheapo set at Walmart (Winchester brand) works great, and includes a small hammer.

To ease installation, I use

one that fits in the front takedown pin holes exactly, one to hammer the bolt release and trigger guard pins.

I also used a small short plastic roll pin to aid in installing the trigger( came with my alg trigger kit).

I can loan you tools of you promise to return them and come to my house in Potomac. I might ask you to leave some collateral, which you'll get back when I get my tools.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    instead of buying/using a roll pin punch or tool, i just did this:

02%20Press%20Partway.jpg

Worked every time with no marks when done slowly and with tape.

I've also bought a 1/4" x 2" clevis pin for less than $1 instead of the fancy tool for $whatever to install the takedown pin detent & spring:

Pivot_Pin_Install_03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom