• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    At least the rear sight base has been to Finland. Arshins are struck out and Finned renumbering on opposite side.

Unfortunately, with it being a Bubba, the parts could be original to the action, or added at any point along the way.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Yeah, no telling where it's been. But it wasn't a dry place I guess. Or at least with people who were into barrel hygene.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    My mosin my daughter got me for Christmas a year ago had a pretty crusty looking bore almost like yours. I tried. Variety of cleaning methods including putting the cleaning rod in a drill and using a brush with some type of cleaning compound (I forget what I used) and it only got less brown, it was still grey and dull and pitted.
    After I took it out to Delmarva and shot 20-30 rounds through it, I was surprised to find out how clean and shiny the bore was once I did a normal cleaning. Don't know if it mattered, but the first rounds were brass/copper.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I may try to find a full length stock for it. Or leave it as is for a while until all the gun hype dies down, as I have other things I need to spend $ on.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I used wipe out on a nasty Finn Mosin. It looked similar to yours. It cleaned up a little. When I shot about 20 rounds through it and cleaned it, it looked shiny and perfect.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I may make a lamp out of it :) . I think I'll try to clean out the bore as much as possible then try to sling some lead thru it to see what happens. I just thought it was kinda cool to have an 1897, but I wasn't sure of the origin of the rifle since I didn't see the SA and other Finn markings I was used to seeing. Thanks for all the insight.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I may make a lamp out of it :) . I think I'll try to clean out the bore as much as possible then try to sling some lead thru it to see what happens. I just thought it was kinda cool to have an 1897, but I wasn't sure of the origin of the rifle since I didn't see the SA and other Finn markings I was used to seeing. Thanks for all the insight.

The lamp option(via google):

MikesPictures002.jpg

Sirex