• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Just a couple of real quick questions about cresap if anyone can help me out.

I have a friend who wants to go out there with me, and he has TONS of ammo he is willing to let me run through with him, but when reading the rules I ran into 2 things i dont quite understand.
    1. The no bottleneck cartriges on the pistol line?
    I remember seeing something like that, and the site is down right now. Does that mean we couldnt bring a tokarev firing the 7.62x25?
    and 2. I saw something about no armor piercing, steel, or incendiery rounds?
    Does the no steel rounds mean no steel cased rounds or no steel core? I noticed that it looks like they might recycle brass, and does that mean to leave the brown bear, silver bear, wolf, tulammo, etc. at home on a trip out there?

like I said the site seems to be down, and searching threads on here and online i couldnt find anything relating to this.. Sorry if its a question that has been answered before.
    Thanks ahead of time for any answers.

And a big thanks to everyone out there that makes that place happen, took a co-worker out there this last freezing sunday, his first time shooting. Even though we were shaking and I think he was about to cry, he wants me to take him back out. It really is a great range, So just a big thanks to the volunteers who keep it going. Can't wait to get back out there in the freezing winter cold.

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    1. I believe that the "bottleneck cartridge" rule only pertains to rifle rounds, or those cartridges not typically used in pistols. For example, they wouldn't allow AR or AK pistols on the pistol line, since they shoot what is generally accepted as a rifle cartridge. A tokarev should be okay though, since the round is traditionally used in pistols (sub-machine guns notwithstanding).

2. "No steel rounds" refers to bullets with a steel core. They have no problem with steel-cased ammunition.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Just a couple of real quick questions about cresap if anyone can help me out.

I have a friend who wants to go out there with me, and he has TONS of ammo he is willing to let me run through with him, but when reading the rules I ran into 2 things i dont quite understand.
    1. The no bottleneck cartriges on the pistol line?
    I remember seeing something like that, and the site is down right now. Does that mean we couldnt bring a tokarev firing the 7.62x25?

One of the issues I had with CRESAP is that they had some poorly written policies/rules. Asking questions about their policies can lead to a lifetime ban.

That said, I know that people have fired 7.62x25 from the pistol line, it would appear that the intention was to prevent people from firing AR and AK pistols from the pistol line. Obviously the intent wasn't to ban .357 SIG, 5.7x28, or 7.62x25, then allow .500 S&W, 10mm, and other more potent handgun rounds (all of which I have seen fired there). There never seemed to be a problem with firing pistol rounds from the pistol line.

and 2. I saw something about no armor piercing, steel, or incendiery rounds?
    Does the no steel rounds mean no steel cased rounds or no steel core? I noticed that it looks like they might recycle brass, and does that mean to leave the brown bear, silver bear, wolf, tulammo, etc. at home on a trip out there?

Unless something has changed they are talking about the bullet content and not the cartridge case. I doubt that CRESAP would ban steel cased cartridges and yes, they do recycle brass but you are also allowed to reclaim your own brass.

And a big thanks to everyone out there that makes that place happen, took a co-worker out there this last freezing sunday, his first time shooting. Even though we were shaking and I think he was about to cry, he wants me to take him back out. It really is a great range, So just a big thanks to the volunteers who keep it going. Can't wait to get back out there in the freezing winter cold.

In general it's a very safe place to shoot. The one standout thing about CRESAP was their commitment to safety. Lots of range officers...

Mark

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    I'm an RSO and club memeber so let clarify the rule...Basically the rule is no rifle rounds or shotgun rounds are allowed on the pistol line. Otherwise, you're fine. If you have any questions please ask an RSO, they'll be more than happy to answer a question. The rule on steel rounds applies to the bullet and not the casing so steel cases are fine on either the rifle or pistol lines.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm an RSO and club memeber so let clarify the rule...Basically the rule is no rifle rounds or shotgun rounds are allowed on the pistol line. Otherwise, you're fine. If you have any questions please ask an RSO, they'll be more than happy to answer a question. The rule on steel rounds applies to the bullet and not the casing so steel cases are fine on either the rifle or pistol lines.

This just begs the question, what about the .410/.45 Taurus Judge?

Sounds like what you are saying is that it be ok to fire the more powerful .45 Colt Cartridge with snake shot but not ok to fire the less powerful .410 slug? Or do you mean cartridges/shells that shoot shot as opposed to slugs? Or perhaps, both.

Mark

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    With the Judge you can not use the shotgun shells with either slugs or buckshot, but you can use the .45 Colt cartridge. When on the pistol line, no shotgun shells at all. On the rifle line you can shoot slug only, no buckshot.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    With the Judge you can not use the shotgun shells with either slugs or buckshot, but you can use the .45 Colt cartridge. When on the pistol line, no shotgun shells at all. On the rifle line you can shoot slug only, no buckshot.

Thank you for the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom