• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I purchased a few lower receivers a few months back. I have one left and was just curious about the legality of turning it into a pistol. I know the laws regarding what defines an AR pistol but my question is, would it be legal to turn that receiver into a pistol without having to go back and registering it as such?

For the record, I've never bought an AR lower with the intent to build a pistol, let alone actually built one. This is a completely stripped lower receiver that has never been built into a rifle. Since MD now requires filling out the 4473 AND 77R while also waiting 7 days (like you're purchasing a handgun), wouldn't that imply it would already be cleared to become a pistol? Just figured since I already have a handful of AR's, why not build a pistol. Just wanted clarification, first. Thanks in advance!

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    From MSP website

"​​Yes, a lower receiver of a banned assault long gun may be manufactured provided there is compliance with federal and other state laws—into a handgun.​"

I think you might have to engrave your info on it because you would become the "manufacturer" at that point? I can't speak to that because I have never done it personally, I have only built our new guns into pistols for customers.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply. So just to verify, as long as it says "O" under section 4, TYPE, it's considered "other", correct? If so, it looks like I'm gonna have a new project lol.

Gun Metal, I'm turning a registered lower receiver, with a serial number already registered as "other", into a pistol. I would think that would cover it since it was never built into a long gun. I'd understand if it was a long gun first and then changed into a pistol, there might be hoops.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It does not matter how it was transferred. As long as it has never been built into a rifle ( 16 inch barrel and stock), then you can legally build a pistol.

There is no need to engrave your information. You would do that if you get a tax stamp and make a SBR. Also, no registration of any type is required.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    Sounds good. Just ordered a few uppers because you can never have too many. I always order one more lower or upper than I have of the other... Gives me an excuse to never quit lol. Thank you everyone for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom