• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    So when I took the safety course years ago, you had to go to a location and do the 3 day course. Now they offer an online course then a one field day.

What I'm curious about is it says you take an online course then a test. Then you take another test at the field day? Is that right? Has anyone taken the test online then did the one day? Looking for feedback...

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    So when I took the safety course years ago, you had to go to a location and do the 3 day course. Now they offer an online course then a one field day.

What I'm curious about is it says you take an online course then a test. Then you take another test at the field day? Is that right? Has anyone taken the test online then did the one day? Looking for feedback...

My brother and I did the HS course two Septembers ago.

1.) Take the online class
    2.) Pass the online test
    3.) Schedule your field day
    4.) Go to the field day for the half day class
    5.) Take the in-person test

The two tests cover the exact same material. The day we did it, all of the 30-40 people passed. If you can read and pay attention for several hours, you'll do fine.

We took the course mainly to cover HQL training as it's way cheaper and easier.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

I did the online course and then the field day at some point thereafter. The field day includes some classroom review of what you covered online, with a little bit of extra material that, as I recall, was more helpful in a practical sense than it was strictly related to passing the field day.

The test is 99% what you covered online and is largely a function to ensure that you didn't shamelessly cheat your way through the online test.

The field day is all common sense stuff. Things a safe firearm user would do naturally, largely. You'll be put in a few scenarios where you'll be asked "is this a safe/prudent shot?" Be mindful of the surrounding area, signs of other hunters in the area, actual feasibility of putting your shot humanely on target, that kind of thing.

Same basic information here: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=149526

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I did the online portion at work when I had a really slow Friday afternoon. I think it took about 2 hours or so. Then did the field day the next week from something like 4:30-6:30 or something. Test was very easy after doing the online stuff. It is all common sense things. Of course common sense isn't always that common and there are a few pointers on things you might not know on hunting and gun laws/regulations.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As hunting season aproaches, it can be difficult to find a slot for a Field Day, plan ahead, and do early in the year.

For people actually new to hunting, the in person class is possible to gain lots of knowledge and information beyond the curriculum from informal conversations with instructors, and the parents of fellow students.

If you are already knowledgeable, and simply need the piece of paper for some arbitrary reason, the Texas all online class is simplest.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    As hunting season aproaches, it can be difficult to find a slot for a Field Day, plan ahead, and do early in the year.

For people actually new to hunting, the in person class is possible to gain lots of knowledge and information beyond the curriculum from informal conversations with instructors, and the parents of fellow students.

If you are already knowledgeable, and simply need the piece of paper for some arbitrary reason, the Texas all online class is simplest.

^^^ I did mine this past May and the class was full but I did sign up for the class 3 months earlier for the Issac Walton in Frederick. Pretty easy to pass although some had difficulty.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    No matter which hunter safety class you take, everyone takes the same 50 question test, live fire, and field walk to demonstrate safe firearm handling.

You would be surprised by the yay-hoos who get 100% on the 75 question online test, and fail the same 50 questions in person.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    You can also take the Texas hunter safety course completely online with no field day, which is valid for your MD hunting license. There are a few threads on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom