• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DFresh64

KnuklDragr
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2022
    AA County
    So a good friend of mine took HQL class and applied and eventually got his HQL approval. During that waiting period he took the HGP class and applied for that also.
    Well he has been turned down for the HGP. Isn't the HQL more difficult to get or at the very least the same process as far as checks and investigations? So I guess my question is, has anyone heard of someone getting their HQL but not get approved for HGP ? Any replies would be appreciated so I can give him some advice on appeal.
    Thanks in advance

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    MDS is not who should be asked. MSPLD is who should be asked, they are the only ones who know why it was denied. There is NO harm in asking why the permit was denied.

DFresh64

KnuklDragr
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2022
    AA County
    I understand that, he said that the notice gave instructions for appeal. I was just asking here to see if anyone has every heard of that happening is all. Seems odd that someone can purchase a firearm legally but legally carry it. One would think that the HQL investigation would be tougher then the HGP one.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I don’t think either are more than a background check. Could your friend have answered something inaccurately, that would be grounds for disapproval?

DFresh64

KnuklDragr
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2022
    AA County
    I don’t think either are more than a background check. Could your friend have answered something inaccurately, that would be grounds for disapproval?
    Not sure, I will ask him tomorrow. I told him I would ask on here to see if anyone has experienced the same thing. He actually just picked up his 1st gun after the 7 day waiting period. So certainly he will file the appeal or hire legal counsel to do it for him.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I don’t know the answer to your question but this will be interesting to follow.

Has your friend ever had any run-ins with the law other than a speeding ticket? Involuntarily committed to a mental institution for 30 days or more I think. Have a medical marijuana card? There are others but just off the top of my head.

Regarding run-ins with the law, for some that is a simple no. For some it may come down to, well… there was that one time…

ETA: I guess what I’m getting at is, if he is as clean as the driven snow, it’s probably a paperwork mistake or could be a mixup with a similarly named person.

Last edited:

DFresh64

KnuklDragr
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2022
    AA County
    I don’t know the answer to your question but this will be interesting to follow.

Has your friend ever had any run-ins with the law other than a speeding ticket? Involuntarily committed to a mental institution for 30 days or more I think. Have a medical marijuana card? There are others but just off the top of my head.

Regarding run-ins with the law, for some that is a simple no. For some it may come down to, well… there was that one time…

ETA: I guess what I’m getting at is, if he is as clean as the driven snow, it’s probably a paperwork mistake or could be a mixup with a similarly named person.
    No run ins with law, no medical Marijuana card nothing.
    To me it seemed odd that they would approve a HQL and not the HGP.
    He said that is was something with CJIS was the reason for turn down.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I understand that, he said that the notice gave instructions for appeal. I was just asking here to see if anyone has every heard of that happening is all. Seems odd that someone can purchase a firearm legally but legally carry it. One would think that the HQL investigation would be tougher then the HGP one.
    You are assuming that he would be able to purchase a handgun. There have been instances of people obtaining an HQL, only to be denied when they tried to purchase a handgun. Most of these instances have to do with a MMC.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Same 17 databases for each one, plus medical records check.

DFresh64

KnuklDragr
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2022
    AA County
    You are assuming that he would be able to purchase a handgun. There have been instances of people obtaining an HQL, only to be denied when they tried to purchase a handgun. Most of these instances have to do with a MMC.
    He has purchased one. I was with him when he picked it up.
    That is what I can't understand is if he can get approved for a HQL why not the HGP.
    Seems to me the HQL should be harder to obtain.

ebrew4

Sep 28, 2022
    Sit down, I am in the same situation only I have the W&C, but denied the much coveted HQL. Seems my expunged 1987 misdemeanor conviction is alive and well at the MSPLD. You sonny can have a drivers license but we ain't selling you a car.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don’t think I agree with this statement. You think the ability to purchase a handgun and keep it in your home would be a more difficult approval process than being allowed to carry that firearm concealed on your person out in public everywhere you go? I think it would logically be the exact opposite. Just my $0.02.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don’t think I agree with this statement. You think the ability to purchase a handgun and keep it in your home would be a more difficult approval process than being allowed to carry that firearm concealed on your person out in public everywhere you go? I think it would logically be the exact opposite. Just my $0.02.
    Actually they both should be exactly the same. If you can own a gun you should be able to carry it.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Actually they both should be exactly the same. If you can own a gun you should be able to carry it.
    I totally agree, but as his statement was that one might carry more weight than the other, hypothetically speaking I’d guess the HGP would be more scrutinized than the simple purchase of the weapon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seems to me the HQL should be harder to obtain.

Nah .

In theory , and frequently in practice , they're supposed to be the same , checking the same databases. Troopers and Examiners are human. One time or the other , could have missed checking a database , or entered something incorrectly.

Pre Bruen, the W&C included in person applicant , sig other , and often reference interviews , fishing for anything not in official records , but potentially " precieved to be @$$hole related behavior " .

Anecdotally , post Bruen , the digging beyond the usual database checks would typically be for arrest or restraining orders without criminal charges .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom