• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    Would you bother to stay in business if Maryland passed something similar to SB0281?

Would it be worth it just selling shotguns, bolt guns, revolvers, and 1911s?

Just curious.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    I'm still debating what my plan will be. Probably stick around, but who knows. Since this is secondary income, I'll have to see if its worth my time. I really entered this industry because of my love for the AR platform and hoping i could build something for a retirement job. The discounts alone aren't worth staying in business.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I've been contemplating the same question. Probably wouldnt be in business very long. Only so many .22 rifles and bolt action hunting rifles to sell a month and still make my overhead.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I'm still debating what my plan will be. Probably stick around, but who knows. Since this is secondary income, I'll have to see if its worth my time. I really entered this industry because of my love for the AR platform and hoping i could build something for a retirement job. The discounts alone aren't worth staying in business.

Pretty much the same here. Depending what happens, my retirement plan may go out the window. At that point I don't see it worth continuing. I will be doing all I can to fight this, and will see many of you in Annapolis.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Fortunately we were in the uniform-police supply, custom clothing business for 25 years before we started selling guns, but that sort of change would hurt our bottom line.

Most of our gun sales are agency sales to local and state agencies, but the way that stupid bill is written it may not be legal for even dealers in MD to receice new "assault weapons," or the guns 99% of law enforcement carries, to resell after 10/01/2013.

It would be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but it would serve the gun grabbing idiots right if they hamstrung their own cops with their reckless policies.

We will survive, but it won't be fun.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    if these bans pass imagine where unemployment rates will be, and the economy after a whole industry is basically completely dismantled.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Shops without Ranges, 07FFL's, and Gunsmiths are going to be in for a WORLD of hurt.

Black Rifle Sales=DEAD
    Suppressor Sales=DEAD
    S.O.T./Title II Sales=DEAD

If we lose Dealers wont even be able to have 'Evil" guns in their inventory. Gunsmiths wouldnt be able to work on AR15 that arent registered in MD.

Silencers will only be attachable to newer Bolt, Pump, or Lever Guns.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Shops without Ranges, 07FFL's, and Gunsmiths are going to be in for a WORLD of hurt.

Black Rifle Sales=DEAD
    Suppressor Sales=DEAD
    S.O.T./Title II Sales=DEAD

If we lose Dealers wont even be able to have 'Evil" guns in their inventory. Gunsmiths wouldnt be able to work on AR15 that arent registered in MD.

Silencers will only be attachable to newer Bolt, Pump, or Lever Guns.

I know this will rile up many of you, but maybe you would then have the time to work on shotguns. Things like cutting stocks, installing Gracoils and Bumpbusters, adjustable combs, etc.

Maybe IPs would stock some better quality shotguns like Beretta, Guerini, Perazzi, and Browning O/Us. I had to go to Delaware to buy mine.

Just sayin...

Disclaimer: I, of course am against any firearms ban or infringement on my rights and will try to be in Annapolis on the 6th.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Gunsmiths wouldnt be able to work on AR15 that arent registered in Maryland

This is a VERY important point. I am going to bring that up in my testimony, since I specialize in ARs and pistols...

If this bill passes, I'm giving Maryland, my home state, the state I was born and raised in a gigantic middle finger and moving the F out on pure principle. I'm looking for a place in VA right now but still work as a gunsmith in Maryland.

This law is ******** on every level.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I know this will rile up many of you, but maybe you would then have the time to work on shotguns. Things like cutting stocks, installing Gracoils and Bumpbusters, adjustable combs, etc.

Maybe IPs would stock some better quality shotguns live Beretta, Guerini, and Browning O/Us. I had to go to Delaware to buy mine.

Just sayin...

Disclaimer: I, of course am against any firearms ban or infringement on my rights and will try to be in Annapolis on the 6th.

Thats what Barts, Atlantic, and Albrights are for.

I refuse to get into that type of work. Its a rich mans game and rich people are tight asses.

Not all shotgunners are a-holes but about 9 out of every 10 I have met are.

Ill simply get out of the game

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This is a VERY important point. I am going to bring that up in my testimony, since I specialize in ARs and pistols...

If this bill passes, I'm giving Maryland, my home state, the state I was born and raised in a gigantic middle finger and moving the F out on pure principle. I'm looking for a place in VA right now but still work as a gunsmith in Maryland.

This law is ******** on every level.

I dont think there are provisions for Manufacturers either in this terrible legislation.

LWRC, Beretta, and ADCOR couldnt make or have anything evil in the State unless its owned before 10/1/2013.

It will KILL alot of Gunshops, SOT's, and people that work for Manufacturers.

You and I know this all too well.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Maybe IPs would stock some better quality shotguns like Beretta, Guerini, Perazzi, and Browning O/Us. I had to go to Delaware to buy mine.

Just sayin...

The reason you had to go to Delaware is there isn't a huge demand for trap/skeet guns in most of Maryland, especially in the metro areas where the majority of people live.

Sporting guns are popular in southern and eastern Maryland, but less people live there.

Also, going from specializing in pistols to woodwork is like going from being a mechanic to being a furniture maker. Different skill set. If all I had to work on were double guns, I'd get out of gunsmithing or move.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    Its not fair that they are putting your livelihoods in jeopardy, at the risk of sounding stupid have you spoken to your gun sales reps about this? I hear alot of talk about the national restrictions but almost zero chatter about MD state laws aside from this community. Surely the corporate manufacturers have professionals(lawyers,pr,lobby,investigators, etc etc) who safeguard their interests which ultimately are yours as well?

Morality aside can MD even afford to lose you guys ? Think of the ripple effect it will have on not just the gun industry but law enforcement, natural resources dept to name 2 of the largest. I hate to say it but money talks and thats what their ears are tuned into.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I am not a shot gunner but some say I am still an ******* lol

Knowing a lot of gunshop owners in my area I have to say most will be fine cause a couple never even got into the newer semiauto rifles

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom