• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadetree

Feb 5, 2013
    Nottingham
    Maybe I overlooked this and for that I will issue a pre-apology. Do c&r guns have to follow md law. Example, would a handgun not on the approved list be ok? If SB281 were to pass would a long gun, have to fully its rules and need to be registered?

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    The Maryland approved handguns list is only for guns made after 1985 (or thereabouts). Most C&R will be older than that. If it is a C&R, you can buy it regardless of the Maryland handgun list. The only caveat is that you can only buy it from out-of-state with your C&R License.

If SB281 goes into effect, you will probably have to register all handguns. If you bought it through a Maryland FFL, then it is already registered and will not have to be re-registered. If you buy it from out-of-state using your C&R, then you will probably have to register it. I say "probably" because the bill hasn't passed yet and the house is amending it. Who knows what it will actually require if it becomes law.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Do c&r guns have to follow md law.

Of course! C&R is doing nothing illegal. A C&R holder has a FFL (class 03) license.

Now, the laws are DIFFERENT for C&R items. But to your orig point, the MD handgun roster is for new guns. It does not overlap C&R items. Note: there ARE some rare C&R handguns newer than 50yrs old on the federal approved C&R list but Im pretty darn sure none overlap the MD roster.

Last edited:

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Of course! C&R is doing nothing illegal. A C&R holder has a FFL (class 3) license.

Now, the laws are DIFFERENT for C&R items. But to your orig point, the MD handgun roster is for new guns. It does not overlap C&R items. Note: there ARE some rare C&R handguns newer than 50yrs old on the federal approved C&R list but Im pretty darn sure none overlap the MD roster.

As an fyi there are a few that overlap (or at least did).... the CZ82 for example was just added to the rooster recently. It is a C&R and it was made up through the late 80s. I think mine is 1987 for example. At the time I got it, it wasn't on the rooster and fell into this scenario.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yeah, I know there are a few. So I really shouldn't have said 'none'. I knew better. AFAIK, you can still order a browning hi-power renaissance new today and its C&R. Though your CZ example given is ***FAR*** more affordable;) Doesn't the exception prove the rule or something like that:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom