• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RareBird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 11, 2013
    My son is in the Navy. He was issued a fixed blade knife. He sent me a picture, but it's hard to tell the details.

He asked for a sharpener for Christmas. I use a HF belt grinder with abrasive belts, but that won't work here. The ceramic rods may be too much.

What is the best and sturdiest sharpening system? What if the results are further restricted to those that fit in a pocket?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    What kind of knife? Does it have serrations? If so, you can buy smaller pocket sharpeners that also have the diamond coated rod to be able to sharpen the serrations. They usually have a carbide area to get an edge, then a ceramic area for the actual sharpening. They are not the best, but will work in a pinch. If not this type, then a normal whetstone will be the best option.

RareBird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 11, 2013
    What kind of knife? Does it have serrations? If so, you can buy smaller pocket sharpeners that also have the diamond coated rod to be able to sharpen the serrations. They usually have a carbide area to get an edge, then a ceramic area for the actual sharpening. They are not the best, but will work in a pinch. If not this type, then a normal whetstone will be the best option.

It's a Cold Steel brand. Other than that, I know nothing besides what this picture show.

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
      Knife.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 226

RareBird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 11, 2013
    That's what I would pick for his needs right now.

Please tell your son, Thank You for his service and And may his travels be Safe.

Thank you. I will pass your kind words along when I see him in 9 days.

His travels will be anything but safe, but that is the life he has chosen.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Thank you. I will pass your kind words along when I see him in 9 days.

His travels will be anything but safe, but that is the life he has chosen.
    Something that my Grandfather told my Father each time that he was deployed and my Father told me each time I was deployed.
    I love you son, Write to your Mom and,
    Always be aware of your surroundings son because the life you save may be your own.

And alas, It looks like I might be saying it to my son in a few years to.
    It scares the shit out me that I might have to say it myself.
    Merry Christmas to all of our Service Men and Women overseas.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    It may be a larger kit then he wants to haul around but the Lansky diamonds cant be beat.

I use mine to get the edge set and then touch up every few days with the Lansky pull through sharpener.

Lansky also has a 10% discount if ordered through the website and shipped to an APO address.

Not that the other recommendations aren't good, it's just my findings that unless you are good with a whetstone, you can take a great knife and turn it into a great butter knife in no time flat. With the clamp in the lansky it's as idiot proof as it can be.

With the diamond hones they don't need oil so no worries about a bottle leaking in your kit.

Just my .02 cents.

Tell your son congratulations on his decision. He is doing what a very small percentage of people will ever choose.

:thumbsup:

RareBird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 11, 2013
    And alas, It looks like I might be saying it to my son in a few years to.
    It scares the shit out me that I might have to say it myself.
    Merry Christmas to all of our Service Men and Women overseas.

When I repainted my son's room years ago, I found the nicest border showing the Blue Angels in their diamond formation, repeating every foot or so. Every now and then I wonder where he'd be now if I picked a "My Little Pony" pattern.

Probably the same place, he'd just hate me.

As the twig is bent, and all that....

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    They know when they are young is what my Dad tells me. The pull is strong with some people, It was for me anyway. When my son was maybe 4 yrs old or so I would put him in the shopping cart at the Department Store and push him down the doll aisle and he would sit still and act board and then go down the boys GI Joe and toy gun aisle and he would be squeeling to grab stuff off the shelfs. The last present he asked for was a M1 Garand Drill Rifle so he could practice at home for jrotc honor /color guard. I was like that's what you want for your birthday son ??

RareBird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 11, 2013
    They know when they are young is what my Dad tells me. The pull is strong with some people, It was for me anyway. When my son was maybe 4 yrs old or so I would put him in the shopping cart at the Department Store and push him down the doll aisle and he would sit still and act board and then go down the boys GI Joe and toy gun aisle and he would be squeeling to grab stuff off the shelfs. The last present he asked for was a M1 Garand Drill Rifle so he could practice at home for jrotc honor /color guard. I was like that's what you want for your birthday son ??

The JROTC units, the ones that will be left after Obozo gets done with them, are moving away from the demilled rifles. They used the solid plastic ones lovingly referred to as "Daisies".

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    It may be a larger kit then he wants to haul around but the Lansky diamonds cant be beat.

I use mine to get the edge set and then touch up every few days with the Lansky pull through sharpener.

Lansky also has a 10% discount if ordered through the website and shipped to an APO address.

Not that the other recommendations aren't good, it's just my findings that unless you are good with a whetstone, you can take a great knife and turn it into a great butter knife in no time flat. With the clamp in the lansky it's as idiot proof as it can be.

With the diamond hones they don't need oil so no worries about a bottle leaking in your kit.

Just my .02 cents.

Tell your son congratulations on his decision. He is doing what a very small percentage of people will ever choose.

:thumbsup:

I'm with you on the bigger sharpening system. I prefer the Gatco sharpening system, but both are very good quality. Since it uses guide rods to hold the stone at a specific angle, you can fix a blade with bad grind angles if you put some time into it.

From my limited experience, it seems as though the diamond stones don't quite seem to last like the regular stones. I would have thought it would be the opposite, but it didn't seem that way for me. Am I doing something wrong with them that the diamond stone doesn't last as long? I'm ready to buy another set, and I would like some input as well.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm with you on the bigger sharpening system. I prefer the Gatco sharpening system, but both are very good quality. Since it uses guide rods to hold the stone at a specific angle, you can fix a blade with bad grind angles if you put some time into it.

From my limited experience, it seems as though the diamond stones don't quite seem to last like the regular stones. I would have thought it would be the opposite, but it didn't seem that way for me. Am I doing something wrong with them that the diamond stone doesn't last as long? I'm ready to buy another set, and I would like some input as well.

I had a Gatco and liked it because it had a better selection of sharpening angles and the rod was permanently fixed in place. I went back to the Lansky because the rods are longer and I can get a better stroke on the blade with the longer rod. That's just a personal choice, nothing wrong with the Gatco at all if you like it.

This my first go around with the diamonds so I can't speak to the longevity of them. I had my first Lansky for years and just about wore the stones out but it took more than a few years and several deployments to do it.

I work with soldiers on this job I'm at now and decided to go with the diamonds and have been more than happy with them. We are on the 3rd unit out here and I lost count of the knives I've sharpened for them and my co-workers. They are more expensive and if I feel they are wearing quicker, I'll most likely go back to stone. I just like the fact that the diamonds don't need oil.

Are you using oil on your diamond stones? Maybe that has something to do with wear? I really am a NEWB with the diamonds. Sorry I don't have and answer for you on that.

Maybe someone else who has used them on the past will chime in on it?

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    Yes, I was using oil on the diamond stone. Never would have thought I shouldn't, or just didn't need to.

RareBird, would you mind posting a picture of the belt grinder that you have? I had a guy sharpen a couple of blades for me many years back, and that's what he used. He did a magnificent job with it, and followed it up with a few passes on a cotton wheel in a bench grinder. When he was done, he would fillet a piece of fishing line hanging from his hand. Not just one time on the fishing line, but four or five times, as he turned it with his fingers. He called it "stupid sharp". I would have to agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom