Question about Maryland Wear and Carry being an "Unrestricted Permit" for Business Owners

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mhofe

May 24, 2022
    Frederick, MD
    Good day all. I recently applied for my Maryland CCW, being an owner of a legitimate business in MD and having what I believe to be a legitimate reason for having the permit, in addition to meeting the other requisite qualifications. As part of the process, I had a discussion with an officer at the MSP division that handles the processing of the permits, and I was asking about the potential effects of the (New York) Supreme Court case and any potential effects that ruling might have on permits filed for/issued in Maryland prior to a potential change in Maryland becoming a Shall Issue vs. a May Issue state. The officer told me that since a business owners CCW permit is issued as "Unrestricted" anyway, there would be no loss or gain of privileges under the May Issue system vs. a potential Shall Issue system. She also told me that business owner permits have been issued as "Unrestricted" for the past two years in MD.

Does anyone have any comments, or can anyone corroborate what I have been told? In advance, thanks for responses.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Respectfully, as a cop, I'd say MSP is guessing. We don't know what the ruling will be nor how it will impact current laws.

mhofe

May 24, 2022
    Frederick, MD
    Good day all. I recently applied for my Maryland CCW, being an owner of a legitimate business in MD and having what I believe to be a legitimate reason for having the permit, in addition to meeting the other requisite qualifications. As part of the process, I had a discussion with an officer at the MSP division that handles the processing of the permits, and I was asking about the potential effects of the (New York) Supreme Court case and any potential effects that ruling might have on permits filed for/issued in Maryland prior to a potential change in Maryland becoming a Shall Issue vs. a May Issue state. The officer told me that since a business owners CCW permit is issued as "Unrestricted" anyway, there would be no loss or gain of privileges under the May Issue system vs. a potential Shall Issue system. She also told me that business owner permits have been issued as "Unrestricted" for the past two years in MD.

Does anyone have any comments, or can anyone corroborate what I have been told? In advance, thanks for responses.
    Thanks for the responses so far. I guess the thing that I focused on is that the trooper said that for the last two years all business owner permits were issued as being "Unrestricted" with no limitations, meaning 24x7 carry under the current May issue rules. I have heard that some employees of businesses may have restricted carry times.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks for the responses so far. I guess the thing that I focused on is that the trooper said that for the last two years all business owner permits were issued as being "Unrestricted" with no limitations, meaning 24x7 carry under the current May issue rules. I have heard that some employees of businesses may have restricted carry times.

You are correct. The business owner’s permit would be unrestricted. Employees are a different matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, business owners in Maryland have been issued unrestricted permits for the last few years.

TD
    Yeah. What Trooperette misses is that G&S will go away for everyone else, and MSP will not be looking for your good reason.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Yes, business owners in Maryland have been issued unrestricted permits for the last few years.

TD
    Changed in 2019 administratively where the restriction of “Valid while conducting business” was lifted and Business Owner permits became fully unrestricted.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    August 6, 2019 was when MSP made the announcement. And for the OP there is no difference between an unrestricted May Issue permit and a Shall Issue permit other than the reason for which it was obtained.

kennyd

The "HOOK" guy
    Jul 28, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    there would be no loss or gain of privileges under the May Issue system vs. a potential Shall Issue system
    I would expect that we wouldn't have to go through all the anal inspections we do now-like providing bank statements if the state went shall issue, that is a huge gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom