• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    I really want to get into hunting with my son. I know very little about hunting and don't really have anyone to teach me. I'm willing to learn through research and unsuccessful practice lol but am a little confused about the Hunters Safety Course.

Is the course itself done online instead of in a classroom? The DNR website says minimal 10 hours and when I look at the schedules they list only class dates? 4 coming up in my county, Mondays and Fridays? Is each day a separate class or do you need to attend all 4? Do you take the class online then these days are a field live fire days? or what?

I know I have a lot to learn but as far as I can tell this course is the starting point.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I really want to get into hunting with my son. I know very little about hunting and don't really have anyone to teach me. I'm willing to learn through research and unsuccessful practice lol but am a little confused about the Hunters Safety Course.

Is the course itself done online instead of in a classroom? The DNR website says minimal 10 hours and when I look at the schedules they list only class dates? 4 coming up in my county, Mondays and Fridays? Is each day a separate class or do you need to attend all 4? Do you take the class online then these days are a field live fire days? or what?

I know I have a lot to learn but as far as I can tell this course is the starting point.

You take the online portion of the course. Once you've completed that you schedule a date to attend the field day portion of the class. It's usually an all day class and at the end if you pass the final test you recieve your certification card. The "live fire" portion consists of you firing a shotgun 2 times lol.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For my kids it was 3 nights and a field practical on Saturday. Online is for adults only and good luck finding an open field day. Go to anyplace that sell hunting licenses and find the next class and take it as a family. The instructors there should be able to answer your questions and may be able to help you find hunting opprotunities.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    Thank you for clarifying

One other question. Do you bring your own shotgun for the live fire or is it supplied? Do they allow kids to shoot a 20 guage?

All I have right now shotgun wise a 12g Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel. It may knock my 10 year old over.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Thank you for clarifying

One other question. Do you bring your own shotgun for the live fire or is it supplied? Do they allow kids to shoot a 20 guage?

All I have right now shotgun wise a 12g Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel. It may knock my 10 year old over.

They supply the guns and ammo. They have a selection of recoil appropriate firearms to choose from. Find out when the sign up is and get there early. Classes fill up fast.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Yup everything is provided. I had a hell of a time finding an open field day also. I ended up having to drive an hour and a half to get into one.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    They supply the guns and ammo. They have a selection of recoil appropriate firearms to choose from. Find out when the sign up is and get there early. Classes fill up fast.

Has this always been a problem or is it just this year because of the new HQL?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My daughter is currently in a hunter safety course. We went to Baltimore County Game and Fish. She needs 10 hours of classroom instruction, the written test, and the field test.

The 10 hours of instruction were Wednesday and Thursday night the past 2 weeks, from 7-9:30 (2.5 hrs x 4 = 10 hrs). The written test and field test are this Saturday.

Go here and from the pull down menu select "Hunting Course".

These courses fill fast. My daughter's had registration advertised from 9am -12:30 three weeks ago. We showed up at 8:50 and she got seat number 62 out of 65.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.

I took the class before all of this craziness happened. Everyone in the class was there because they actually wanted to hunt. I can't imagine how bad it's gonna be now if it was bad back then.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    Looking at the course schedules I see there is also a bow hunting course. Is that required to bow hunt or is the course optional?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Thank you all for the info

How old is your son? If he is 16 or older he can do the internet course.

Also, I believe that Balt County Fish and Game have a traditional class on...maybe next week. I know my cousin is taking his sone there. Likely already full, but worth taking a shot.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    How old is your son? If he is 16 or older he can do the internet course.

Also, I believe that Balt County Fish and Game have a traditional class on...maybe next week. I know my cousin is taking his sone there. Likely already full, but worth taking a shot.

He's 10

I would prefer a classroom course, I think being a newbie it would be more beneficial to me.

Maybe I will do the online course then take the class with him next year. The one open class I've found so far doesn't jive with my schedule.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's a problem every year because there are only a certain number of classes (and space in them) to go around. The classes are pretty much all volunteer-run, so you can't really complain that they're limited. And many people simply procrastinate until just before hunting season.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    It's not because of the HQL's or anything gun control related. Each Hunter Ed team is required to offer a minimum of three classes a year, and most do far more. The problem is that most people don't think of it until close to hunting season, and then they all fill up. Classes earlier in the year are sometimes only half full.

Also, different Hunter Ed groups do the live-fire differently. The class I attended had you shoot five rounds from a single shot bolt action .22 rifle.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Our internet class field day is oct 13th in Cecil County. If interested, the details are on md Dnr website or you can PM me.

The next full class won't be until turkey season

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom