• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enforcer

Mar 24, 2011
    Hampstead
    **I didn't know if this should be in C&R or Rifle but I took a chance and posted this here**

When I shoot my K98 with Romanian ammo, It takes me about 60 to 90 minutes to clean it. I will run a dry brush through it a few times, dip the brush in solvent and then run it through a few times, followed by wet / dry patches, rinse, repeat. It never ends as the patches come out black or dark grey. Just when the patches are starting to come out light grey, I run another wet brush through it and then the patches come out black/dark grey again. It's frustrating as hell as I don't want to sit there all night continually cleaning my Mauser. I am using a variety of solvents (Hoppes, M-Pro7, Remington Bore Scrubber...etc) and nothing seems to make it any easier. A month ago, I cleaned my K98 for about 70 minutes and then i ran an oil patch through it and then stored it away. Last week, I looked down the barrel and noticed some spots of rust (GREAT!:mad54::sad20:) to which I cleaned it again for another 60 minutes (the patches were coming out black/brown) and then re-oiled it. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I can clean my Mosin or M1 Garand in 30 minutes and they look great. I don't get it.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    When using corrosive ammo, clean first with something water based (just hot water works, I've been using old USGI bore cleaner with good results) to flush out the corrosive salts from the primers. Then clean as normal. As for the never-ending dirty patches, welcome to cleaning an old mil-surp, LOL! Depending on the bore condition, some barrels will seemingly never give you a clean patch. I have a few rifles that never get a truly clean patch. Try using Wipe-Out, it's probably the best bore cleaner I've used and many members here will recommend it.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    My Mosin is exactly like this, no matter how many times I use a bore cleaner(Breakfree) and run patches/bore snakes through it, it just stays dirty. Eezox helped to get it a little cleaner but it's still not totally clean and I still see all kinds of crap when I look down the barrel.
    So frustrating, I'm at the point where I just don't care anymore.
    Not much rust on mine but definitely endless crud.
    Edit: Seen lots of good reviews for "Wipe Out" bore cleaner but I have NEVER seen it for sale at any gun show I've been to the last few years.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    When using corrosive ammo, clean first with something water based (just hot water works, I've been using old USGI bore cleaner with good results) to flush out the corrosive salts from the primers.
    Like the M-pro 7 that is a water-based cleaner.

Here's my trick after a quick water flush or a few wet & a few dry patches with the m-pro 7.

Wet brush with good old Hoppes #9.
    Do about 5 passes of 5 strokes each with a freshly wetted brush for each set. Do not patch out.
    Leave rifle standing muzzle down on newsprint till next day.

Run 3 wet patches. Do not dry patch out.

Repeat
    "Wet brush with good old Hoppes #9.
    Do about 5 passes of 5 strokes each with a freshly wetted brush for each set. Do not patch out.
    Leave rifle standing muzzle down on newsprint till next day." till no more crud comes out.
    Takes 10 minutes a night probably for 7~10 days but it will get every last bit out without bore damage.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    **I didn't know if this should be in C&R or Rifle but I took a chance and posted this here**

When I shoot my K98 with Romanian ammo, It takes me about 60 to 90 minutes to clean it. I will run a dry brush through it a few times, dip the brush in solvent and then run it through a few times, followed by wet / dry patches, rinse, repeat. It never ends as the patches come out black or dark grey. Just when the patches are starting to come out light grey, I run another wet brush through it and then the patches come out black/dark grey again. It's frustrating as hell as I don't want to sit there all night continually cleaning my Mauser. I am using a variety of solvents (Hoppes, M-Pro7, Remington Bore Scrubber...etc) and nothing seems to make it any easier. A month ago, I cleaned my K98 for about 70 minutes and then i ran an oil patch through it and then stored it away. Last week, I looked down the barrel and noticed some spots of rust (GREAT!:mad54::sad20:) to which I cleaned it again for another 60 minutes (the patches were coming out black/brown) and then re-oiled it. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I can clean my Mosin or M1 Garand in 30 minutes and they look great. I don't get it.

A lot of good advice has been given so far. AFAIK, the Romanian 8mm is corrosive. You'll need to begin your cleaning with water or Windex to neutralize the corrosive salts in the barrel. I also wipe down the bolt face and receiver with a wet (water/Windex) patch and dry thoroughly. Then alternate wet and dry patches through the bore until they are relatively clean. Run a few dry patches to make sure all water/Windex is gone from the bore.

If you want to brush your bore, now is a good time. Then you can clean with Wipe-Out or any other cleaner of your choice.

FWIW, I clean from the breech going towards the muzzle, always using a bore guide.

Some of the old Mil-Surps that were ridden hard and put away wet, especially RC K98ks, can be quite dirty and/or have rough bores. They may shoot very well, but can be a real PITA to clean.

There are also some other cleaning methods you can try: Electronic bore cleaners and a bore cleaning paste.

If I were you, I'd get some Wipe-Out and give that a try first.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Don't get too frustrated, remember you're not only cleaning out your mess but all the messes of all the other guys who fired it and cleaned it very briefly if at all with oil and a pull through chain. The main thing is to get your corrosives out.

Get something ammonia based in there to neutralize the corrosive salts from the primers. The powder in these old milsurp cartridges isn't corrosive, the old primers are. And they're enough.

I do a 10:1 bleach solution poured through it, then some windex sprayed down and all around the barrel and action, and then some of those disposable ammonia based cleaning cloths that come in the plastic bottle, torn into patches. Any one of these should be enough, but I like to be sure :) Remember to hit the outside too, especially near the tip of the barrel. Then I start with the Hoppes and oil.

The old GI bore cleaner is still available on ebay and such if you look around. A great cleaner for corrosive ammo, but you need to be careful as it's carcinogenic.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I drop my bolt in HOT soapy water for a half hour or so while I work on the barrel. Mine just collects dirt like it's the rifles job haha. Careful with Greek surplus 8mm I've had issues with different batches. Hang fires and such.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    Surplus ammo, has a corrosive salt, I use a water and ballistol oil mix, and have had good luck so far...
    there was a sticky somewhere on the forum, where clandestine put detailed and solid instructions for cleaning after using corrosive ammo...

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    The Balistol and water mix sprayed down the barrel, bolt and I'll hit the receiver area with it at the range works wonders.

Clean as you normally would when you get home and it should take care of your problem.

enforcer

Mar 24, 2011
    Hampstead
    Great stuff here guys, thanks!! I just don't want to rust out my barrel because I am doing something wrong. Again, it's only with my K98. My M1 Garand and my M44 Mosin are clean and content after they get shot.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Surplus ammo, has a corrosive salt, I use a water and ballistol oil mix, and have had good luck so far...
    there was a sticky somewhere on the forum, where clandestine put detailed and solid instructions for cleaning after using corrosive ammo...

The Balistol and water mix sprayed down the barrel, bolt and I'll hit the receiver area with it at the range works wonders.

Clean as you normally would when you get home and it should take care of your problem.

Balistol and water mixed as directed on bottle/thread. I keep a gallon jug mixed and use it in all my Milsurps regardless if I have fired known corrosive ammo. I follow it with Wipe Out Excellerator and the Wipe out foam. Works every time and never see any spec of rust on my guns. I use Mobile one 0W50 as a lubricant with great results.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    My Mosin is exactly like this, no matter how many times I use a bore cleaner(Breakfree) and run patches/bore snakes through it, it just stays dirty. Eezox helped to get it a little cleaner but it's still not totally clean and I still see all kinds of crap when I look down the barrel.
    So frustrating, I'm at the point where I just don't care anymore.
    Not much rust on mine but definitely endless crud.
    Edit: Seen lots of good reviews for "Wipe Out" bore cleaner but I have NEVER seen it for sale at any gun show I've been to the last few years.

I had a permanently grey Mosin barrel also. Ballistol and Wipe Out cleaned it to a perfection. I can run a soft white cloth down the barrel and it comes out clean and white. They are both available online.:thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Are you using patches of the proper diameter for the bore and a patch jag or are you using a slotted jag?

You should use the proper size patch jag and patches to push dry patches through the bore after you have used a slotted jag with a patch to apply the solvent.

Also, once you put the solvent in the bore, give it time to work before brushing or pushing dry patches through.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

This. A gallon used to be $79, and at a 10-15% mix will probably last you forever. It works well as a general cleaner too. (some people also use it as a lubricant, but I'm sure the forum gunsmiths cringe when they hear that). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom